Current Montana weather for elk camp

MITCHMO

Anyone else getting a little concerned they won’t be able to get to their spots with all the snow? Maybe it’s too early to be nervous. I’ll be in the Gravelly range with the rest of Montana, if anyone has a snow/road report for up high that would be appreciated.

I love hunting the snow! Get's them on their feet and easy to track... Also keeps the pressure down and road hunting to a minimum. My boots work just fine in the snow.

The tops of the gravelly have been covered in snow for three straight weeks now. I have been able to get everywhere I tried. I can't imagine that with all the people up there that we won't be able to get in. Worse comes to worse park low and walk in.

I hope it is better than last years opener, sitting on a hillside in a tshirt. I dont remember the exact temp but it was warm. I think it's going to be a good season.

You guys are giving me confidence! Having seen some pretty nasty winter storms here in Mi over the years I was picturing getting myself into something pretty unsafe. I won’t mind hiking in if I have to. My plan has always been to camp up top so that may be the only thing that has to change. I was going to use the quad to get about 8 miles in, then hike from there. What’s another 8 miles :)

I was also worried the elk would move out but it seems like it may not be bad enough for that yet. I’m sure some have left, but there are probably some still around. I’m only really after a cow unless a bull presents itself first. Dang I can’t wait!!

Looks like a complete 180 warming trend coming in after today. If that holds though the opener, not much snow may be left. Either way, I’m certainly looking forward to it!

If all of this snow melts, it will be mud city! Certainly hoping we don't get a big warm up.

Don't attempt to hunt down in Cottonwood if there's a G Bear sitting in the snow at the Range/Cottonwood Roads intersection with a placard hanging from it's neck reading,
"Have .40 hollow point lodged 2 inches under skin on shoulder - it hurts. I'm angry and hungry, and just want to go to bed. Go ahead, punk, make my day"

Knee deep snow for a flat lander like me is a death sentence at altitude! I’m dumb enough to try it with a 65lb pack and camp in it with a tarp tent haha. Maybe I’ll want to die by the time one of those brown fuzzy things find me. I wish I knew what I was doing haha.

Knee deep snow for a flat lander like me is a death sentence at altitude! I’m dumb enough to try it with a 65lb pack and camp in it with a tarp tent haha. Maybe I’ll want to die by the time one of those brown fuzzy things find me. I wish I knew what I was doing haha.
65?! You packing in a bear proof suit? I'd be grizzly food for sure carrying that much around.

🐻-"Let's go get that dude that's all hobbled up and walking funny"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back