Yeti GOBOX Collection

Curious About Self - Tuning

ploxwithblox

I am pondering whether to take the path of servicing & tuning my own equipment. I have been content in the past to take them to a local shop but the service has gone downhill, leaving me kicking around the idea of getting my own press. For those who have made the leap, was it worth it? Or am I missing the bus on some key element that will leave me tail between the legs back in line at the archery shop?

How deep are you going? I do everything myself that does NOT require a press. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. You will never get a fine of a tune taking it in as you will doing it yourself.

My advice, build your own arrows and get comfortable tying a D Loop, and learn how to properly adjust sights and rest and you will be happy.

I bought an EZ Green Press a couple years ago. I have replaced strings, cables, d-loops, everything on mine and a couple other's bows over that time. Generally, you shouldn't have to do a ton of 'tuning' a bow outside of maybe twisting a cable now and again. Most bows will tune great at factory specs and with a properly spined arrow (the new Matthews SUCK, people are always shimming cams....it's like Matthews is in kahoots with Proshops). I love not having to rely on a shop to work on my bow and I have prob paid off the press at this point (considering in shop costs for 'tunining', string replacement, etc). I wish I would have done it earlier.

How deep are you going? I do everything myself that does NOT require a press. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. You will never get a fine of a tune taking it in as you will doing it yourself.

My advice, build your own arrows and get comfortable tying a D Loop, and learn how to properly adjust sights and rest and you will be happy.
That's a great point. I do broadhead tune and fiddle with my basic setup, I'm sure i could do more without getting a press. Maybe I'm just a little star struck when they can toss the bow in a press, drop in a new peep or string damper, or give a quick cable adjustment and be on their merry way in what seems like no time, while I might be waiting for weeks to get any sort of service. I am also still suffering flashbacks from my vectrix that seemed to have endless issues with cam timing, alignment, etc so that also is in the back of my mind...

I bought an EZ Green Press a couple years ago. I have replaced strings, cables, d-loops, everything on mine and a couple other's bows over that time. Generally, you shouldn't have to do a ton of 'tuning' a bow outside of maybe twisting a cable now and again. Most bows will tune great at factory specs and with a properly spined arrow (the new Matthews SUCK, people are always shimming cams....it's like Matthews is in kahoots with Proshops). I love not having to rely on a shop to work on my bow and I have prob paid off the press at this point (considering in shop costs for 'tunining', string replacement, etc). I wish I would have done it earlier.
I probably should have said "service," tune was a poor choice of words. I would really like to be able to work on my own setup like you mentioned above without the lead time. I admit I am coming in with somewhat limited experience about bow service, but I don't see that as an excuse for not trying to learn something new, provided im not going to destroy my bow in the process. @shannerdrake Brought up a good point, I could likely do a fair bit of my work without a press. Perhaps I could start there. Thanks for the input.

Yea, I started with building arrows, tuning etc. without a press and graduated to a full setup. If on the off chance you are around Helena, MT I could let you poke around on my stuff to see what you are comfortable with.

Yea, I started with building arrows, tuning etc. without a press and graduated to a full setup. If on the off chance you are around Helena, MT I could let you poke around on my stuff to see what you are comfortable with.
Hey thanks! I'm up Kalispell way but I do come down on occasion. I would happily take you up on it if things line up on my next trip down.

I have had a couple bows tuned by some pretty reputable shops, but I have gotten far better results putting in the time myself. I have a friend who is a member at an archery club that has a press some other equipment. I bring my bow when I visit him and we go shoot an tinker if needed. He is far smarter with the stuff than I am and he helps me out a lot. I think that often with bow shops, there are only so many that are good that they are always busy. Often you have to wait a long time and they kinda are forced to get you in and out, especially during peak season. I would recommend learning as much as you can and try it yourself. There are plenty of articles, blogs, forums, etc. on archery that you can learn enough to get what you want out of a bow. Plus, it is more satisfying to do it yourself than to pay someone, in my opinion,

I've been to the end extreme, everything from string to arrows was done only by me. Bow geometry made my press obsolete and I figured for the times I needed it it wasn't worth it

WRONG

I dont make strings or arrows anymore. I can fletch for repair and I cut arrows. I decided I can't live without the press. True don't need it often but when i need one I need it right then, don't want to ha e to go to a shop and hope someone there can do what I need

I bought the press

My opinion is yes. I guess I never understood why people wouldn't want to. When you get it don't tell anyone or you will have people bugging you all the time to use it.

If you like to tinker it can be really fun, and really frustrating at times since there is a learning curve. Start now so you will know what is what before fall.
20210930_110509.jpg

I just changed the D-loop on my bow last night cause I wanted to try a different nockset width and a shorter d-loop length. It took me 15 min and I didn't have to drive to the shop when it was -25F. I never regret buying a press

I finally took the plunge this summer and bought a press to tinker on my own things since the nearest shop is 100 miles away. I would recommend to anyone thinking about doing their own work to take the plunge and do it. It’s not too hard and if something goes wrong you only have to blame yourself 😁

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back