Critique My Plan

okie archer

I drew a New Mexico pronghorn tag for the August 13th-15th season.
It is a rifle tag but I would like to bring my compound bow. I will also bring my rifle if bow hunting does not go well. It is only a 3 day season so I don't plan on bow only and want to fill my tag so will use rifle if needed. I have a goal of killing a Pope & Young Pronghorn.
I was thinking about making the 9 hour trip to scout and set up a ground blind on a water hole if I can find one 7-10 days before season to condition the antelope to seeing ground blind. Want to also set up a trail camera (non cell).
Plan to go back a day or two before opener and check SD card for action on water hole and decide at that point wether to hunt ground blind or not. Might even try spot and stalk, maybe even use a decoy.

This will be a public land hunt. Between speaking to a game Warden and reading over the rules on NM website I believe everything I mentioned is legal. If not please inform me if I missed something.
Providing everything I mentioned is legal how risky is it to leave a ground blind and trail cam on public land for 7-10 days? I would think most people would leave stuff alone but I know not everyone does.

Opinions please.

IMO the most fun you can have is spotting and stalking antelope with a bow. Using decoys for me has resulted in disaster 90% of the time. During the rut a decoy may help but august I think it’ll just get them on alert. The only time I used a cow decoy as soon as I flipped it up every antelope within a mile was gone like a fart in the wind.

Blind and Camera on a waterhole ion public could be risky. If it were me with the rifle as backup I’d just sit the waterhole right at daylight, then chase them the rest of the day. I know antelope will water all day but in my experience the rush seems to be right at daylight. I’ve only chased them in Nebraska though.

I was thinking about a stalker decoy that goes on a bow. Using it to get in close and wear orange though not required.
But yes, it really isn't 100% safe and thank you for pointing that out. I appreciate it.
Besides I really would like to shoot one out of a ground blind. I have killed 7 pronghorn, all with rifle except 1 with a bow spot and stalk.

My only advice is people are terrible and high chance your blind and camera walk away without you...

Also, if its a pop up blind, those don't seem to hold up that well to wind, so make sure to stake it down well!

Last edited:
I'd skip the camera and the blind. Get there a 2-3 full days early for the hunt and glass from afar to find a spot not visible from a road that holds antelope. A high percentage of adult bucks in NM will hit 67". If you find a really good one, decide if you want to kill him, or get one with your bow. Overall pressure is low for population available to hunt, but depending on the amount of public land and accessibility, as well as who is gating public roads for rifle season, you may see a lot of hunters.

You do you, but personally, I would not use a 1st season rifle tag in NM as an archery hunt. Too many OTC or easy draw archery pronghorn tags out there. You should only apply for archery tags next time if you want to archery hunt, THAT is a fun experience. Much less fun when bucks are getting picked off around you while you're trying to crawl closer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back