Crispi, Hoffman, Schnee’s Boots?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
7EDF32C0-2963-4F49-879A-520ED217C7AD.jpeg
FB31C16E-38D9-4E06-99CE-FF2AE50CD467.jpeg

Both of these are damned nice boots. Lots of subtle and not so subtle differences though.

The Hoffman’s are stiffer. A little softer than a Lowa Tibet, pretty similar to the Zamberlan Guide 960 boots I was wearing. The Schnee’s are similar to the Crispi Colorado in terms of stiffness.

The Hoffman’s feel a little more robust in terms of leather and construction. Tread is very similar. The Hoffman’s have fewer seams and seem less likely to wear out in the front of the tongue area.

The Schnee’s are a little narrower in the toe box, both across and up and down. My big toe contacted the top of the toe box, and I could see this being an issue after a long day of slogging.

The lace lock mechanism on the Schnee’s is nice, but I could see it being a pain the ass at times.

The Hoffman’s will require a little more break in, and also feel more supportive and solid through the ankle.

Hoffman’s are the winner.

I've more or less lived in mine since July 2020. There was a little pucker that first day I wore them outside and couldn't return them. I've never looked back.
I've never had a hot spot or blister.

Hoffman has their own branded boot treatment, but they told me in Kellogg that it is just re-branded Obenauf's. You can use the paste or the oil.

I've more or less lived in mine since July 2020. There was a little pucker that first day I wore them outside and couldn't return them. I've never looked back.
I've never had a hot spot or blister.

Hoffman has their own branded boot treatment, but they told me in Kellogg that it is just re-branded Obenauf's. You can use the paste or the oil.
I still have some from long ago, along with some Sno Seal and some Granger’s paste wax.

I have Hoffman boots I have had 2 years after having 2 pairs of Kenetrek. I will buy them again. I think the sole might be slightly harder compound on the Hoffman as they don't grip icy and wet quite like the Ks. Not an issue but I have thought that several times. They are holding up well. I use Kenetrek wax on them because I have it. The rand is staying attached better than either pair of Ks.

Thank goodness for Internet sales. Some local guy bought a pair of Zamberlan boots and when he got them they didn’t fit. I met him in a parking lot and bought them for $150.00. I had the luxury of trying them on and they did fit me.

I have Lowa, Danner, Vasque, LaCrosse and other quality boots, but none have fit and been more comfortable from the get-go than Zamberlan. I would certainly look at them again if I were to buy new boots.

I would also figure I would not save money by getting them off the internet, and try them on to get the best fit. You have to forget what the number is on the box, how they fit your feet is most important.

Last edited:
There was a little pucker that first day I wore them outside and couldn't return them.
LOL I know what you mean. It’s always there. I put some Grangers on last night and wore them for a hike this morning. They’ll take about 40-50 miles to break in I think.
25F1993C-A67F-44B6-9A53-A29F85E2DDD1.jpeg

I grew up in Kellogg, Hoffman's are great boots, and more importantly, they are great people. I have two pair of Hoffman's, a pair of knee high packs/caulks that are the best thing ever once the snow is more than 4" deep, and a pair of lineman's I bought when I was in high school. Still fit, still wear them, have been resoled and rebuilt multiple times.

That being said, I do have a pair of Crispi Idaho's that once I learned to lace them, I really like. I also have a pair of insulated Kenetrek's that are just meh for me. I don't dislike them enough to scrap them and get something else, but I don't love them enough to really endorse them, and ultimately, I'm too cheap to replace them before I get my money out of them.

Christmas!!

I came home from my workout hike today and Momma said I needed to get another pair of Hoffman's.

You never have to tell me twice.
I’m thinking about buying a pair of insulated Explorers.

Jump now! They updated the 8" Insulated Explorer and they are listing the NOS of the old style for $260 on the Hoffman Website.

I'm running the 8" non-insulted and I'm going to get a pair of 10" non-insulated Hunter this week. They had my size in stock at both the Spokane Valley Sportsmans' and at Black Sheep.

Then I have to get them broken in by August.

Been very happy with my Schnees Beartooth. One pair dates back to circa 2008 and is still workable after a lot of hard use on elk, deer, waterfowl, antelope and pheasant hunts. Definitely worth a look.

Got the 10" today. Sitting here at the computer wearing 'em. These are WAY stiffer than the 8". I curious to see if that stays true or is simply that my 8" are have at least 200 miles on them .

I am leaving zamberlain behind, solid but could be better. Ordered Hanwag Alaska's(in mail). If they dont work might have to try hoffman next.

I love my Hanwag Alaska but I got the wide version. Had them for two seasons and love them.
I tried Crispi and the toe box was to narrow. Tried some Under Armour boots but they were only good if there was no moisture.
Loved the Hanwags and hopefully they will be easier to get with some of the media companies (born and raised, running them. Just need a few more US distributors).

I love my Hanwag Alaska but I got the wide version. Had them for two seasons and love them.
I tried Crispi and the toe box was to narrow. Tried some Under Armour boots but they were only good if there was no moisture.
Loved the Hanwags and hopefully they will be easier to get with some of the media companies (born and raised, running them. Just need a few more US distributors).
Ya i have probably 100-150ish miles on mine and very happy. I also have the wide and impressed with how well made boot is but is little slow to break-in but such a solid boot its worth it.. The lacing system on these boots is topnotch! The leather and the rand are both significantly better made than any other boot i have tried (crispi is worse) Will see how they hold up but inital impression is all top boot i have worn. Just wish and this isnt just hanwag that premium boots came with better insoles: crispi, zamberlain, etc. all are useless. Anyone looking for a quality boot might try the hanwag line, i like them.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back