Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Creedmoor no more

Addicting

A while back I posted about some throat issues when using my OAL gauge. Took it to the gunsmiths and they said it was carbon build up and some chatter marks in the throat, otherwise barrel was fine.
I’ve burned over 100 Accubonds and 500 some grains of RL 26 since. I’ve been chasing my tail trying to find a fast accurate load. Best I came up with was 2950fps and a 1 1/4” group. SD 3 and ES 7 if I remember right. Keep in mind with factory 142g ABLR this Gun was shooting a 5 shot ragged hole.

Well, I finally broke down and retested those ABLR as a known load. The gun now shoots them at 3 1/2” at 100 yards. checked the chamber again with the OAL gauge and a 140 Accubond and it goes over a big bump and then another .030 to a dead stop. No wonder I’ve been chasing my tail, I’m quite surprised that the throat gave up so fast at just over 700 rounds down the tube.

So did some checking and I dumped the Creedmoor cartridge and had a new Gunsmith make it a 260AI just in time to buy Black Friday Nosler brass. Now to get MTmuley wound up and start a new thread to discuss if a 260AI is enough gun for Elk. 😁

What platform? Factory? Custom?

It was a Legendary Arms Works Professional that I bought in 2017. He is just reaming it out to 260AI. For now I’m keeping the Wilson barrel that’s on it. Will see how it shoots, worst case is I can get all my fire forming done before scrapping it for a new Bartlein.

Man, those LAW guns were sure hit and miss ever since they were introduced. It's a shame, too, because they seemed to check all the boxes!

That was a bs barrel. Nobody is exempt from that. The .260 AI should be good, but this shows that anything can happen-and does. The Creed is a great round. The ablr is garbage, in my opinion, but what do I know. Go with a Criterion barrel and quit guessing. Piss on custom rifles. All of my re-barreled cheapos shoot as well, or better than the high-dollar bs customs.

Man, those LAW guns were sure hit and miss ever since they were introduced. It's a shame, too, because they seemed to check all the boxes!

I remember being bummed because I couldn’t find one then started hearing negative issues.

I remember being bummed because I couldn’t find one then started hearing negative issues.

Yep, I ran out and bought one, got one that was a miss. It has been back twice and still doesn’t like to eject when you run it slow. I have just dealt with it as it is a really nice rifle to carry and shoot, when it shot good.

The new Smith I am using works with the new manufacturer of these relabeled M704 actions. He has a lot of good things to say about them. He seemed pretty confident that he can just update the springs and resolve most of my complaints with it.

And here I thought this was about Creed Farm where the original Creedmoor began. It is now a hospital, I believe, in Queens, NY.

That’s definitely pretty quick barrel life. Should be good for 1500-2000.
Were you always shoot 140s around 2950? That’s pretty stout in a factory chamber Creedmoor.

That’s definitely pretty quick barrel life. Should be good for 1500-2000.
Were you always shoot 140s around 2950? That’s pretty stout in a factory chamber Creedmoor.

Throat was already gone when I started with RL26. That is why it went to the Smith in the first place. I couldn’t get a consistent Ogive measurement. I ran 1lb of RL16 Thru it and the rest was H4350 at 2730FPS.

That seems like a bad barrel or chambering job for sure.
How much is the rechamber job? Sometimes it’s more cost effective just to rebarrel and start fresh.

One down, now just 3 million more to go! Lol

I'm not sure about the 260AI. I had reamed my 7mm-08 to AI.
Honestly not a lot gained. But was cool if you just like something different at band camp! Draws attention.

With 140gr Berger VLD Hunting using H414 or Allliant PP2000 netted accurate (not max, though on the higher end) velocity of 2,836 fps.
RL17 was 2,916 fps. But ES/SD opened up a little.
Trying IMR4831, and RL19 did not net any better velocities.

That seems like a bad barrel or chambering job for sure.
How much is the rechamber job? Sometimes it’s more cost effective just to rebarrel and start fresh.

150 to rechamber it,when it’s time for a new barrel the blank is 352 plus the flutes, chambering, and Cerakoting. When I get to that point I am going to have the action blueprinted as well.

Honestly not a lot gained. But was cool if you just like something different at band camp.

I have a box of the 127g Barnes LRX. If they don’t group well I’m going to go to the 124g Hammers. I want to end up in Or close to the 3k bracket. From what I’ve read that seems doable with Varget and maybe with H4350.

Honestly not a lot gained. But was cool if you just like something different at band camp! Draws attention.

With 140gr Berger VLD Hunting using H414 or Allliant PP2000 netted accurate (not max, though on the higher end) velocity of 2,836 fps.
RL17 was 2,916 fps. But ES/SD opened up a little.
Trying IMR4831, and RL19 did not net any better velocities.
What's your barrel length with that 7mm-08ai?

Back