Caribou Gear

Creedmoor no more

That’s a pretty bad chamber job! What are you going to chamber it in now? What barrel you using?

That’s a pretty bad chamber job! What are you going to chamber it in now? What barrel you using?

We talked a Bartlein but I am open to others. His wife is going to have a baby in the next 12 hours so it wasn’t the time to talk guns. I am going to stick with the 260ai as I bought everything for it already.
In the next few weeks when he gets released to back to the shop from his wife we will dial things in better.

Bartlein is a great choice. Are you trying to dupe the factory contour or changing it up?

Factory, I really like how that gun handles. Unfortunately, they have their own contour. So it’s either find something close or just get a custom contouring done.

Well, I figured it was time for a update. Ended up putting a Broughton barrel on it as their contours matched up to the factory the best. Gun Smith really likes them, I’ve never had one so I guess I will see. Got the gun back on Sunday and did some fire forming brass.

Not a big Nosler 260 brass fan. The necks are quite short and the FF made them smaller. They ended up 2.008 to 2.011. SAAMI spec for the 260 Rem is 2.035.
I have a call into ADG to see how long their necks are. If anyone has some new 260 Lapua could you check your’s and let me know.

Unfortunately, the gun has to go back, it needs a Wyatt’s extended box and another .100 of free bore. Hopefully when it’s back I can start putting some Hammer’s into paper and see how she does.

Just curious
Why more freebore? Did you spec out your build for a specific bullet prior to it being chambered?

Just curious
Why more freebore? Did you spec out your build for a specific bullet prior to it being chambered?

Not specifically, I gave him some bullets and brass that I would be using. He told me when I picked it up that it may need more depending on what I end up with. But to bring it back if it needed to be longer. He definitely short chambered it. Nosler book has a COAL of 2.800 for their tested loads. I hit the lands at 2.750. Him correcting the free bore should be free. Extended the mag will be another charge.

I made up some dummy rounds after I fire formed some brass and got out the calipers. I need to do a extended magazine box so I can get the bullets where they belong in the case necks. The 124 Hammer Hunter is the longest COAL at 2.920, my Mag can only hold up to 2.830 so it’s time for another upgrade.

Well, I figured it was time for a update. Ended up putting a Broughton barrel on it as their contours matched up to the factory the best. Gun Smith really likes them, I’ve never had one so I guess I will see. Got the gun back on Sunday and did some fire forming brass.

Not a big Nosler 260 brass fan. The necks are quite short and the FF made them smaller. They ended up 2.008 to 2.011. SAAMI spec for the 260 Rem is 2.035.
I have a call into ADG to see how long their necks are. If anyone has some new 260 Lapua could you check your’s and let me know.

Unfortunately, the gun has to go back, it needs a Wyatt’s extended box and another .100 of free bore. Hopefully when it’s back I can start putting some Hammer’s into paper and see how she does.
Broughton makes good barrels.

Well figured it was time for a update. I switched brass to ADG and have been doing some fire forming of cases breaking in the barrel. Just now getting around to velocity testing. RL26 was kinda a dud in this new combo. The Creed would go up to 2950fps and I settled at 2912fps. That same load in the 260ai case is a tad slower. I loaded up 5 from 48g up to 49g and there was no increase of speed even with 2 extra inches of barrel.

Tonight’s experiment is H4350 and the 127g Barnes LRX. Hopefully I can break 3k, Nosler has the standard 260 at 2907.

Also I got some 139g Sledge Hammers to try but they are way too long and sit down in the case too far for my comfort. I still haven’t tried the 124g Hammer Hunters, maybe if I get this Barnes figured out they will be next. image.jpg

124 hammer will go 3000 fps. mtmuley

That is what it was throated for, I only have a sample pack so Ive been wanting to get familiar with this cartridge before I use them. 15 is tough to do velocity and grouping. Hopefully the LRX get most of the velocity work narrowed down so I can focus on groups with the Hammers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back