Credit Card Suggestion

I am a Ramsey fan but we run all our household purchases thru the CC. I’m also a GC and run as many of my subs or materials thru the card (paid off monthly). I’ve never been a airline points fan, everything I’ve heard, there are too many restrictions and it sounds like a huge PITA. I prefer the cash back and I can do do my own shopping from there. I pretty much use the Capital One Spark business card for all my purchases but if someone has a better solution I’m all ears.

Check with your bank. They usually have an affiliated credit card company and often if you have a mortgage and good credit rating there's no annual fee. I'd advise getting a line of credit too. If situation arrises where you can't pay off credit card at end of the month, pay it with line of credit. Do this from home e-banking. Line of credit usually has interest rate about twice prime but credit card is ~20%.

I ran everything through a Cabelas card, paid off monthly, for over a decade but have been disillusioned with their lack of quality product, and especially American made products. I recently switched to Scheels.

Count me as another cabelas card guy that is considering dumping it. I just buy so little from them that Using the points barely ever happens. I’d thought of an Amazon card since they basically sell everything.

I have an Amazon Visa that is through Chase. It works well for us since we buy a lot from Amazon. The 5% adds up fast.
The main thing, whatever one you choose, is to pay the credit card off each month. I've had a credit card for over 20 years and have never paid a dime in interest. Couldn't even tell you what the interest rate is.

My discover card has a nice summary at the end of the year that you can sort by price, vendor, or type (groceries, gas, etc). Makes figuring out where all the money went a lot easier, and you can easily tally donations, medical expenses, etc for tax purposes.

Carnage2011,
If your spending habits are out of control, there is a guy by the name of Dave Ramsey. He suggests putting your cash in an envelope for each month. However, he is wrong about spending that cash. You should instead put a stamp on that envelope and send it to me. Problem solved. Did you guys actually think I was going down the Dave Ramsey hole??? Sorry, I couldn't resist!

In all seriousness, Costco at 4% for the first $7,000 of fuel is hard to beat. In fact, I have used mine a few times in your neck of the woods!

i keep meaning to go get that costco card. without crunching numbers it seems like the best deal out there for cash rewards. especially if you buy the majority of your necessities at costco.

which if you crunch the numbers there just buying your bulk necessities at costco with cash - things like TP, frozen meat, coffee, eggs, milk, paper towels, tin foil, salt/pepper/spices, light bulbs, traeger pellets, etc, etc - pays off quickly. that 60 dollar membership disappears after one big monthly trip for things you buy no matter what. then add in good cash rewards on a responsibly managed costco cc... pretty dang solid.

I search nerd wallet for best credit card deals. No interest for 15 months plus $200 credit when you purchase a couple thousand within the first few months. So, you've got no interest on your purchase plus get $200; just pay it off before the period ends. I recently bought an ebike in this manner. I got an additional $200 for making the purchase and then paid it off....., it's an interest free loan with a bonus $200....., just don't be late or miss a payment. The monthly bill clearly states when the promotional period ends, so no worries about forgetting the date when your interest rate skyrockets.

I have Delta as well and it’s been good. Alaskan air may be better.

Maybe other cards offer this, but there are some perks with the Delta AMEX that are nice. For example, when you use it to rent a car, you do not have to worry about buying insurance from the rental car agency. It is covered through Amex. I’ve got a good amount of free flights out of the points and have the points for some more.

Wells Fargo active cash. 2% unlimited cash back seems like about the best out there for cash back. If you can stand WF.

With cards you do have to be wary of Annual fees. Believe me when there is a % cash back, Somebody is paying that....usually the retailer in higher processing fees.

Were I looking for another CC I'd probably look at the Costco Visa. Or one of the Capital one cards.

When I started a Long distance relationship, the Southwest Rewards card paid for a lot of dates....Now that we closed the distance I've got about 40,000 points/miles. Could go towards a vacation.

Our family has the Chase Sapphire card and it seems to be the most well known card with the best value (good points).

We also have an AMEX Hilton card. This or a Marriott is great for hotels since hotel points are not as fickle as airline points. Hotel points tend to maintain a constant value, stay with you, you can gift them, etc. Whereas, airline points disappear if you don't use them. If you fly a lot, then this concern should not matter.

No one in my family of nine flies much. Yet, one year we stumbled on a Visa-Southwest Airlines card and were able to get four (4) cards; two with my business and two for personal. Each card had a free companion airline pass, and you were able to quickly earn enough points for free tickets on top of it. I remember the annual fee being ridiculous ($3-400 bucks), but we got so many free airline tickets that it more than paid for itself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back