Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

CPW seeks sharpshooting volunteers for elk management

Oak

Expert
CPW seeks sharpshooting volunteers for elk management project in the San Luis Valley

Those who advance through the application process then must complete a shooting qualification hitting small targets the size of an elk’s vitals at 200 and 300 yards. Those attending the qualifying shoot must hit each target three times in a row without a miss within a three minute time period.

“This qualification has proven to be difficult for even the most seasoned elk hunters,” said CPW Area Wildlife Manager Rick Basagoitia. “This standard is likely the minimum allowable standard given the difficulty of the work we need volunteers to do.”

2 days volunteer? Keep the carcass(es)? Is this 35% NR pool? (humor).

Sounds pretty interesting. Roosevelt National Park (SD) had volunteers cull elk recently.

“You’ve got 3 minutes but don’t have all day to set up.”

Correct sir, I’ve got 3 minutes.

How’s about you let people make the most ethical shots they can from whatever position they can?

I don’t know, I need a snickers or something, that guy irritated me.

I shot a qualification in Oregon years ago, for the damage control hunts. Paper plate at 100 yards. Had an open sight Win70, shot off hand because that was how I shot my muzzleloaders. Easy peasy.

Watched half of the class, lots were self proclaimed expert elk hunters, that could not make that shot.

300 is long for me, kneeling, though it is a generous target. Prone would likely be ok. My problem would be how long it would take me to get up off my knee, or off the ground.

“You’ve got 3 minutes but don’t have all day to set up.”

Correct sir, I’ve got 3 minutes.

How’s about you let people make the most ethical shots they can from whatever position they can?

I don’t know, I need a snickers or something, that guy irritated me.
I agree on the rubbed the wrong way part, this ain't military. I think his ego was showing a teeny bit. If I can drop my pack, sit or lay behind it, I will pick that far before off hand or kneeling. That could be a circus up there...

I heard from another game warden that the failure rate is quite high. Some guys drive from other states and miss the first shot. I imagine the timer, plus having the game wardens, plus dozens(?) of other applicants watching you shoot is more pressure than the average hunter is used to. I know it would be for me.

I take part in an urban reduction program here in Indiana that requires a shooting test and a lot of guys won't sign up because they don't think it's right to even have a test. It's only 3 shots in a 4" circle at 50 yards from a bench and I watched a guy fail it twice when I did it. Granted we can only use shotguns, muzzleloaders, and straight wall cartridges but it's only 50 yards. Heck I did it with my MZ and the dirty barrel has a different POI than when it is clean and I was still able to pass.

What I've learned, the average hunter is an awful shot past 100 yards. My cousin can't shoot past about 80 consistently. With a rifle... That being said, my uncle (his dad) was shooting his new crossbow at 20 yards and couldn't hit an area the size of a paper plate. He said it was sort of a cheap crossbow so it's probably not that accurate. I tried it, and took 2 shots, the second one busted the nock on the first bolt. I got it zeroed at 40 yards and told him to learn how to shoot, or practice or something...

I’m actually considering doing this. I love the Sand Dunes NP and it isn’t too far away from me and plenty of places to camp. But what the hell is with that kneeling position? Watching the video that seems so uncomfortable. I’ve never even seen that. Granted I’m not involved in the shooting community, just shoot by myself for fun a few times between seasons. I’ve shot plenty of animals from the seated position off my pack or bipods. Why would anyone use that kneel over sitting?

I wonder if this will turn into the same shitshow as the NPS Grand Canyon Buffalo hunts. The government is involved so I'm confident it will be confusing and a waste of money. I can't wait for all the CO outfitters to start crying about how unfair it is that the gubbernmint is giving away elk that should have gone to outfitters

I’m actually considering doing this. I love the Sand Dunes NP and it isn’t too far away from me and plenty of places to camp. But what the hell is with that kneeling position? Watching the video that seems so uncomfortable. I’ve never even seen that. Granted I’m not involved in the shooting community, just shoot by myself for fun a few times between seasons. I’ve shot plenty of animals from the seated position off my pack or bipods. Why would anyone use that kneel over sitting?
Or the fact that we have a 5 round mag limit and he didn’t have to reload in the middle of his shots. And no eyes and ears.

All that said, I signed up because I’m close and would be a cool area to spend some time!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back