Caribou Gear Tarp

Coyotes East and West

james_wvu

I grew up in the east and now I live in the west. I have noticed what seems like a big difference between eastern and western coyotes. In the east, whiley coyote is just about invisible and you never see them (ofcourse the east is forested as heck) and when you do luck onto to one, they cut and run like the wind. They are gone in less than a second so its rare that someone toasts one in the east (we have lots of luck with traps though). We have fewer yotes in the east also. Now here in the west, I drive up on coyotes all the time and they will run but often stop and look back for a period long enough to toast them from the road. The western yotes I have seen dont cut and run. They trot off from my truck and make frequent stops. I mentioned this to another buddy that hunts east and west and he said the same. Anyone got any opinions on that??

James, as for Texas, they pretty well stay on the move. I've had some luck with distress calls for bringing them in, but they zig zag in, and if they do stop, it's not for very for long. They usually hightail it for tall grass and crouch away. Crafty devils.

Thanks for the input guys. I've probably just lucked up on the ones here in the west. I just havent seen enough western yotes yet since I haven't hunted them exclusively. I take them when I run across them while hunting other animals.

Back