Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

coyote calling disaster

trapper1

My dad trapper1, is a pretty good caller. So my friend and I wanted to try calling for once. So we headed out in the morning to the rolling hills at the base of the mountains behind a ranch which we had permission to hunt. So we set up on a hillside in some brush facing the canyon. Unfortunatly we had our dog (LOL). Our first mistake of many. So we turned on our electric call which only lasted for five minutes because we forgot to change the batteries. So then fortunatley we had the hand calls so we used them. After about 45 minutes (LOL). We finally got one about 500 yards up the canyon then I stupidly unloaded a clip with a 22 long rifle (LOL). Come to find out I was out of range. But he kept coming till about 300 yards and then the dog stood up. That was the end of that stand. So then we sat reflecting on our stupidity for about 15 minutes. Then we decided to walk over a little ridge. If any of you are wondering my brother did come and get the dog. Then my friend loaded the clip. And to our suprise there was a coyote mousin in the meadow. So we dropped to our stomach and army rolled to the nearest bush we could find. So my friend shot 4 times and almost hit it. So we gave up and went home.

Some of my most memorable hunts have been when I came home empty handed. Sounds like you had a great day.
wink.gif

Doug

The greatest thing about calling is trying to get them in close, the challange is being paitent enough to wait out the Yote.

I use a dog on many of the hunts to my advantage. Just never let your dog chase after them till he gets out of sight.

Good story

sly

Win a few, lose a few, learn in the process...
Any day out in the field beats any day sitting at home waiting for fire calls...
frown.gif

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back