Cow Elk Hunt WY-75

CarsonSmithElkHunter

Hey all, I shot my first elk on Thursday 8th, and I am ready to get it done again. I have another tag to hunt Grand Teton National Park. The season opens on November 7th, and goes until December 13th. There are some restrictions that we have to abide by, like you have to carry bear spray, no lead ammo, you can't shoot running elk more than once, etc. Any info would help, as I have never hunted there either. My brother and I both drew type 6 tags. I am wondering if anyone has info, or could point me in the right direction, as to where to go, who to call to see where they are, etc. Thanks

Good on ya! I don't know much about the GTNP hunt but it can be a zoo. A friend of mine took a cow on that hunt a few years back. A lot of people just drive the roads around Blacktail Butte. I imagine, if you actually hiked up in there you'd have a good shot. I think it is probably better later in the season. I'd guess farther north would be better earlier. Can't say for sure tho. I'd call the park for info or the Jackson Game and Fish Office. Kyle Lash is the warden up there. I've had more than one encounter with him and he is a good guy. I'm sure he'd give you some info. They want people to fill their tags, especially on that hunt. Oh, and you'll definitely want to carry that bear spray...

Congrats on your first elk. That’s great that your going after another one. Hopefully you can connect again. Has your uncle hunted that area at all or could he possibly hunt with you if he doesn’t have a tag? He seems to be quite an accomplished elk hunter and has had some success from other posts you have shared. Hunting side by side with an experienced hunter is a wealth of knowledge.

My Uncle is in the army, and is being deployed to South Korea for 1 year. He is here now to hunt. He will be here for 2 weeks. So no he can't go hunting with me up there. I wish he could, but he can't

My Uncle is in the army, and is being deployed to South Korea for 1 year. He is here now to hunt. He will be here for 2 weeks. So no he can't go hunting with me up there. I wish he could, but he can't
Well thanks to him for his service. You seem to be on your way to being a quite successful hunter yourself. Even if you are unable to get any hard leads hopefully you can put what you have learned so far to use and get on some more elk and harvest another. Best of luck. Looking forward to hearing how your hunt goes.

My Uncle killed another elk, don't have pics though. So out of 6 tags we have 5 elk. My other Uncle will be here tomorrow, and will be ready to go out on Wednesday. Then we will get elk #6.

Also my thoughts about the GTNP hunt, I am thinking about going down Antelope Flats road, or hiking to Blacktail butte. What are your thoughts?

Check all the regs, there is only a small section of that unit you can actually hunt, also check orange requirements. I believe the carcass has to be removed as well? Need weather for the elk to show up, and it can be a sh!t show out there. When they do it will be in large herds so watch your shots. Took my son there last year, won't go back.

Hey all again, has anyone heard if anyone has shot anything in this area yet? And if so could I have their contact info? My parents are going to let me go hunting up there, so I am going to start preparing again. Could anyone give any more info on where to focus my attention to, and how to hunt the elk. Thanks

Hey all again, has anyone heard if anyone has shot anything in this area yet? And if so could I have their contact info? My parents are going to let me go hunting up there, so I am going to start preparing again. Could anyone give any more info on where to focus my attention to, and how to hunt the elk. Thanks
Drive the roads until you see a herd of elk, drive to the nearest parking lot and join the large group of hunters.

You will need to have the six items that are listed on your hunt permit that you received from the park. The elk are starting to move, I shot one on Sunday out of a group on the south end of black tail butte, that will be depended on how much snow comes and if it will push the elk. The portion of the hunt area called Antelope Flats closes on the 23rd, which makes it hard for hunting as the elk will move back and forth through that area. The small area of the river bottom from dead man's bar north to spread creek can be productive.

Helped a friend pack out an elk today and saw about a dozen cows and calves on the hike in on the north end of blacktail butte. There are elk on the butte, it’s a good idea to have a plan to get one out if you go up there, tag and drag (the retrieval service) doesn’t go up there.

Helped a friend pack out an elk today and saw about a dozen cows and calves on the hike in on the north end of blacktail butte. There are elk on the butte, it’s a good idea to have a plan to get one out if you go up there, tag and drag (the retrieval service) doesn’t go up there.

I wonder if its because of the grizzlies that live on it?

Yeah they don’t want to have to deal with the grizzlies that move onto the butte during the hunt.

Alright congratulations, to anyone that has shot one. I will end up going up there over Thanksgiving Break, then every weekend after that.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back