Cow Creek Ranch - Hunting in Texas - Review

Deerhunter80

I know Jess had posted a few times on the forum and after speaking with him and checking references a few buddies and I wanted to see what it was all about. Also a few people mentioned if any Hunt Talker ever went they'd like to know how it went -

Well let’s get a few things out of the way before you read on my experience.
1. I know some of you would never pay to hunt someone’s land, I get it, but I personally have no objection to this.
2. This is definitely a Texas hunt, they have feeders and spreaders set up throughout the property to keep the animals there. In Texas, if you don’t, well the animals will just move to the next ranch. So is this fair chase, I suppose that is debatable, but again, I have no objection here as this is what hunting most of Texas is about. They do have natural water sources on the property which is a rarity in this part of Texas.
3. This is a low fence operation and the animals can and do come and go from the ranch as they please.
Accommodations
We arrived in San Antonio on Wednesday, Jess and Terry picked us up at the airport, then we drove to the ranch and got settled in. There is a nice little cabin that is pretty old, but adds to the rustic charm and also a new 5th wheel that provided more modern accommodations. I stayed in the ranch with the guides and my buddies stayed in the 5th wheel. Jess, Terry and Doyle were all super accommodating and straight shooters from the beginning to end, no BS and were all good to their word. The food was awesome. Absolutely the best I’ve had in a hunting camp and these boys know how to do southern cooking and hospitality. You won’t leave lighter than when you show up. They also provide side by side vehicles that are pretty darn new and can get you to the hunting locations and pickup any animals that were put down. The ranch is 4000 square acres but the elevation adds a significant amount of surface area.
The Critters
So there was plenty to look at, Aoudad, Sika Deer, Axis Deer, Black Buck, Hogs and White Tail. I will say that despite the number of animals on the property, it still wasn’t a gimme hunt. The four of us went down for Aoudad and just like any hunt, the mature animals are experienced and are difficult to get a shot at. Whether they are a little smarter, a little more seasoned or just a bit luckier, if you want a really mature animal it’s going to take work. Sure the younger animals will show up on the feeders and you can harvest one if you choose, but the big daddy critters only feed after the sun goes down then seek the safety of the surrounding terrain, and this is where I really liked the hunting. It was spot and stalk on the animal’s turf far from the food. You needed to sneak above the critters and catch them bedding down in a drainage, but it wasn’t easy. There are cedars that the Aoudad can just disappear in and they do, an entire heard can be just below you, but you’d never know it. Really amazing. Their eyesight is amazing and usually spot you well before you even know they are in the area. The typical shot distances were between 180-250 yards, but could be much more if you are a good shot.
On the last day, I finally got my chance at a 30”+ Aoudad, but the ewes were onto us and before I could set up, they started moving to the next drainage. We followed suit but they just vanished, we looked and looked but couldn’t find where they went. Well I had my heart set on shooting a dandy and was just as pleased going home empty handed. Though I could have had my pick of one of about 30 - 25” rams.
Success
The success rate on our hunt was 100% despite not taking home an Aoudad – that was my decision as I had plenty of opportunity. The other 3 guys each got their Aoudad ranging from 23”-29+”, I shot a black buck (something I have wanted as long as I can remember) and one of the guys shot a slammer Axis deer. There were also huge Sika deer running around but we never did shoot one of those despite one or two opportunities and a missed shot by my buddies dad.
Overall Opinion
Jess, Terry and Doyle are salt of the earth guys and honest as they come. They are hard-working and have a passion for hunting and the outdoors and have a great amount of respect for their clients, land and animals. What's more, the prices on the game were very fair and they weren’t happy until we got what we came for or at least were given a good chance; what more could you ask for! I would rate these guys 5 stars out of 5 and absolutely recommend Cow Creek Ranch. I am happy to say we left as friends as opposed to just clients. As far as difficulty rating – I was in the Chugach this past October which was definitely a 10, this I’d rate around a 5 or 6 because the terrain can get nasty pretty quick and having the ability to navigate it will require a degree of fitness.
Feel free to call me if you have any questions at (203) 885-2194 and I’d be glad to discuss any questions you may have.

Okay - so here are the critters that we knocked down!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 959
  • IMG_0380.JPG
    IMG_0380.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 958
  • IMG_0381.JPG
    IMG_0381.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 969
  • IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 961
  • IMG_0404.JPG
    IMG_0404.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 959
Looks like fun. Most exotics don't appeal to me, but I think those aoudad rams are pretty incredible.

Very nice! Really, really like the Axis! Beautiful critters. Thanks for posting and sharing the pics.

Plus one on the Axis. Good write up deerhunter.

Like the sounds of the place Jess! Might have to coax a fellow HT'er to meet up and come down there with me for a few days.

I think those blackbucks are really cool. I may even consider that myself at some point. Generally, I am not that crazy about exotics, but Aoudad (Barbarys) are so thick in the southwest that they are nearly native now. New Mexico has them running everywhere if you can just locate them.

Good job.

Very interesting animals, those aoudad with that beard and chaps look great, that axis has a cool looking coat and blackbucks are always pretty animals. Thanks for the report and pics!

Axis for sure! My boss hunts at one of the Texas "Pick-N-Pull" ranches every year (as well as other paid hunts in Africa) and they shoot plenty of Axis. Not my style of hunt, but I have to be honest, I sure do love the meat he sometimes brings back. Axis is absolutely delicious.

Emrah

excellent review. I did not realize that there are wild free ranging axis, sitka, or black buck in Texas.

Looks like a fun hunt.

Yep, plenty of game to shoot at down there. All free ranging critters, I guess some time ago some of these things were either released or got out of an enclosure and began to make texas their home. The habitat suits them so they thrive.

It's a fun hunt to say the least and Jess, and the whole gang at CCR were great.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back