Covid positive 11 days before leaving for montana elk hunt

freu1chr

I tested positive for COVID yesterday morning with yesterday being the worst symptom wise 103 degree fever and major body aches. Today i feel pretty good with only congestion, cough, and my right lung has a little pain below the armpit. hoping that is the only lung issues i have with being on oxygen for the First 3 years of my life (Born with major lung problems). Did anyone have these same symptoms or have any issues climbing the mountains after COVID. I’m from minnesota.

I bet your doctor would try to talk you out of it.

Randy @Big Fin caught Covid and was pretty puny MONTHS after. I think he talked about it in the First Episode of his Nevada Deer hunt? or Maybe it was a spring hunt...i don't remember.

He did say in another thread here...

. And now I am three months removed and still have an effed up heart situation that has allowed me to spend a bunch of money on cardio tests this month.

So I would have a good heart to heart with your Physician.

Last edited:
It majorly affected my antelope hunt as I struggled to catch my breath and it really bothered me once I started hiking in the cold for elk...lungs burned and the cough returned (2020 was an extreme temp year). It bothered me well into the next month (mid October through Thanksgiving) and quite possibly affect my cardio well into 2021.

The thread about COVID symptoms may give you some info

I would wager by day 11 you'll be feeling fine but once you hit the hills you'll be sucking wind. Is there a chance you can reschedule until later in the season?

Dude terrible timing. I can't offer any advise on how long the symptoms will last, but I will say this. If something does go wrong while hunting, what is your plan to get out?

For example, if your lungs get worse at altitude, have a game plan on what is your trigger to get out and how you'll do it.

It could be something like, if I can't catch my breath in 5 mins and I'm wheezing I have to throw in the towel. Something like that

I tried to hunt a couple days after my severe symptoms were gone. My lungs were on fire trying to walk flat ground and I had no energy. I was fine road hunting though...

I'd be very cautious. Major lung issues and covid don't always agree very well. I had COVID last year, 46 YOM, no underlying medical issues, I hunted for 5 days right after clearing isolation. I was dog tired and very winded.

My personal experience is that in the last 2 weeks I've been on calls on 2 males that didn't look like they were going to die, didn't want to go to the hospital, then died 4 hours later. Not trying to scare you, just saying think about being hours from a hospital and what treatment may be available.

Did any of you guys workout or run while having COVID to keep your heart pumping and lungs working or is that a bad idea.

A friend of mine caught it last year before our elk hunt, about the same time as you have it here... He delayed the trip by a couple days to make sure he had 2 negative tests before joining us. Said he was a little short on breath at times, but he also powered through a physically tough hunt and helped pack out a couple elk. Roughly 7000' elevation change from home to hunt. This virus seems so variable in symptoms, so I hope you heal up good enough to make the trip, but if not take care of yourself and try not to spread it...

Not a professional at all but I'd be concerned with the elevation change. I live at 9800 and when I had covid it kicked my ass and I've lived at high elevation for about 10 years. Elk will be here next year but to get one you have to be too. Best of luck on a speedy recovery!!

The vast majority of people that test positive for C19 have no, mild or short lived symptoms. Your odds of being in this group are statistically high. Do what your body tells you. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and successful hunt.

Did any of you guys workout or run while having COVID to keep your heart pumping and lungs working or is that a bad idea.
I'm in the midst of it right now, I have been working out some and have hunted a couple days. All fairly light work, I monitored it for the first couple days then decided to get out and hunt antelope and hike with my dog.

I did harvest and pack out a whole goat in my pack. About 2.5 mile pack out to the truck 1 shot. Felt ok but not 100 either.

It's different for everyone some get nothing and some can't make it to the bathroom before they need a break.

Just be cautious on your approach you'd hate to be in elk camp up shit creek because you rolled the dice.

You know your body listen to it

Feel pretty good this morning my abs are sore from coughing so hard. But all in all feeling really good just rewatching all of fresh tracks and doing the Arizona bonus point class.

Last edited:
I'm in the midst of it right now, I have been working out some and have hunted a couple days. All fairly light work, I monitored it for the first couple days then decided to get out and hunt antelope and hike with my dog.

I did harvest and pack out a whole goat in my pack. About 2.5 mile pack out to the truck 1 shot. Felt ok but not 100 either.

It's different for everyone some get nothing and some can't make it to the bathroom before they need a break.

Just be cautious on your approach you'd hate to be in elk camp up shit creek because you rolled the dice.

You know your body listen to it
Im dissapointed that you didn't rip off your shirt, throw the goat on your shoulder and pack it out that way for 2.5 miles. Then post a picture on here with all sorts of hash tags.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back