Courtesies of elk hunting?

undercover

Virgin elk hunter here. I should draw for wyoming cow/calf for 2021 based on historical draw odds as I burned points for a Limited Unit. Yes, full price cow and I’m stoked. So anyway, coming from Michigan and my travel plans are arriving to unit late morning to scout out the lay of the land and check out my e-scouting glassing spots for the following morning. I do intend to check my first primary spot for that evening as it seems to be close to the road and good visibility of a couple drainages. But what if someone is there? I know it’s public land but is it first some first serve? Is it common to have a couple groups glassing next or near each other? Typically speaking I know most hunters get along but wondering on etiquette. I hate confrontation, do I let em know I’m a type 4? Ask them if it’s ok to set up? Share intel? Deer hunters will be winding down as season closes a couple days after I arrive. Just nervous as hek and wondering what to expect.

If I see orange off in the distance I head the other direction. If I run into someone up close I exchange pleasantries and share what I'm hunting and the general area that I'm focusing on if I was there first. If the other person was there first I just find a new spot. Some people will not extend the same courtesy to you, but that's life.

My experience is hunters can be territorial, especially locals and even more so with guides/outfitters that use teams. Locals will put up cameras and toss an old chair down or park a trailer at a trailhead or fork in a road then claim all points for as far as you can hike in a day. Then, these types will not be there for days at a time will taking up precious camping space. I do not find any one state better or worse though the less public land a state has near population centers or in primo units then the more conflict there will be before and after the shot.

I find hunters to be more cordial after they fill their tag. There are reasons some suggest picking up a pair of resident license plates off eBay or at the junk yard to put on your parked vehicle. An elk hunt can involve north of $1000 which is a lot of money and that can bring up the stress level which brings out a darker side of some people.

You should meet some helpful folks but if you bump into a dozen hunters and none of them are rude then you are fortunate.

Based on your statement "I do intend to check my first primary spot for that evening as it seems to be close to the road and good visibility of a couple drainages." you should expect lots of company depending on how many cow elk tags are issued. Not to mention bull tags. Every other hunter is going to see the same thing you do. Easy access near a road.

I grew up deer hunting in PA. Opening morning of any rifle season you would see orange everywhere. I've lived in Colorado now for 32 years and it's still the same until you get away from the roads. Depending on the number of tags issued and proximity to population you may want to make sure you have a plan B, C, D, E, and an F. Cow tags for local hunters mean freezer meat. They have a better idea of where the elk may/will be just by knowing the land. Resident cow elk hunters enjoy the hunt but they are also very determined to put food in the freezer. They are on a mission. Use your e-scouting time to locate ridges that you can access from a relatively nearby road and then plan on walking the top of that ridge in a few miles. Unless those tags are limited in total count expect lots of company near any road or firebreak.

Just always remember the quote, "elk are where YOU find them." They back off quickly from pressure and expect to spend your hunt covering a lot of elkless ground right up until you do find them. I am not saying anything new. It's just what elk hunting has become in most states and areas. If any type of vehicle can get there you will have company. Maybe even lots of company.

Do what you think is right and treat people how you'd like to be treated. That will be different for a lot of people. If you kowtow to every guy or girl in the woods you'll be back in camp in no time with your tail tucked. Sometimes the activity of another hunter may benefit you and sometimes yours will benefit them.

Enjoy the hunt and the uniqueness of Wyoming while your there.

I guess what I truly meant by first glassing spot being by the road was “did I figure out google earth and other escouting data correctly for terrain and visibility”. Should give me a bit of confidence going into plan B C D E F etc with a pinch more confidence as these are well away from roads and trailheads. Hopefully using that to an advantage.

I’ve been blessed with private land whitetail ground for 30+ years until as of late, now a Michigan public land guy so I understand a little of the orange army. However been kinda good at finding pockets. Of course this is minuscule compared to the vastness of Wyoming.

thanks for the replies

If you pull up to area and someone beat you there(not a actual trailhead) just go to next place you want, lots of room here if you just use it.

I have a place i have never see a truck parked, not a trail just a spot. I like it as a spot to get disabled vets into for deer(real easy grade) and usually some smaller 4pts and fun glassing. Last season were sneaking around and some deer run below us on ridge right along some aspen we just came out of, the Vet throws up his rifle in case theres a buck and says crap theres a hunter, points his gun down: this guy was in our back trail. I am glad he seen him, i didnt as sunrise was right in my face. Twice last year i had someone park behind my truck and follow the ridgeline right to us... The one guy was hell of nice guy from Wisconsin and the other guys were from Minnesota. Talked to Wisconsin guy about why would he do that and not just go down road another couple hundred yards to other side of drainage. He told me had never thought of it as a spot but figured he would see what was up there. After this long story my point was its almost a mentality hunting such big land. This is not the mid-west, respect each others space, lots of animals and land to find them in. If "your" spot is taken just move to your plan B, you just as well likely to have a great hunt.

I wouldn't stress about it too much. Try your best not to be rude to others and extend some grace to others who you perceive as being rude to you. It's public land hunting, after all, so we all have to share this resource like adults. We are all reasonable - it's just that we all have different definitions of what "reasonable" is.

As far as moving on to a different location just because a vehicle is already parked at the trailhead, keep in mind that about 90% of hunters are never going to walk more than a mile from their truck. I'd hate to think I have to forfeit my planning for a spot 4 miles in just because some guy wants to tromp around within sight of his truck. But who knows, maybe he's already 3 miles in? The woods are big and it's hard to know where somebody might be, so don't drive yourself crazy thinking about it.

Nobody wants an uninvited hunting partner shadowing them, but sometimes I think hunters are the only group that expects to recreate on public lands without seeing others doing the same thing. In the early season you are as likely to see hikers on many trails as hunters, so it's probably best to anticipate some company. If you do see other hunters in the distance, don't automatically view it as a lost opportunity. In my experience, their presence is as likely to push animals toward you as it is to push them away. Hunker down and watch them for a while and see what happens.

I don't like orange. I rather hunt less desired areas to stay away from orange, unless buddies in my party or fellows camped close.
In those occasions, casual chat related to general areas intending to hunt work well. Met some good people and thankfully they tend to be repeat camp neighbors.

Some like to be assholes. I figure we need assholes to define good.

I would try to drift away from other hunters rather than head towards them to chat or set up near. No matter how crowded it gets, if everyone does this, everyone has some space of their own. And don’t trespass, shoot from or across a road, shoot toward or over someone or a vehicle or a camp, recklessly race other people to a mutually visible elk to shoot it, that is where problems can become big problems. Sounds obvious... but then why do those things happen? Just remember that 1 out of 10 people at least is certifiably crazy and act accordingly.

Like others have said, wouldn't stress too much. If you see others, come up with a different plan and stay out of their way. They should do the same. If you run into them and have an opportunity to chat, go for it. Nothing wrong with discussing plans so you can stay out of each others way down the line. Don't have to tell them exactly where you'll be, but a general idea will suffice. I've never had a negative interaction.

If you’re getting off the road and the main trail you won’t have much of an issue. I hunted a Wyoming general tag for a week and a half in September, in 10 days I bumped into 2 other hunters (other than my hunting partners) once we were back in “elk country” an hour hike from the road. On the rare occasion another hunter pops up close (happens more frequently in heavily hunted places like Colorado), I’ll exchange pleasantries and feel them out a little and give a general direction on where I’m heading. Most folks will be cordial enough, if not friendly. Be respectful but don’t over think it; if you’re having to worry to much about social etiquette with other hunters you’re probably not where the elk are anyways.

You’ll see other people, just the nature of public land. I see other folks often, generally I simply wave and move on. If we pass on a trail then I’ll stop and talk, share information. Generally folks are more receptive if they hear you have a cow/doe tag. Trucks at trailheads don’t deter me from going down that trail (assuming the trail breaks into other trails or has room for folks). But if I can see a person, I’ll avoid that ridge or area. Which often means I have to walk more, if only just to get around the individuals. However, often this leads me into drainages and areas I would have never gone to. Embrace the annoyance and just keep looking for more areas!

Good advice above. You just have to play it by ear. Of course try to give people space. If a close encounter occurs, try to discuss what to do to resolve overlap or if any resolution is even needed. If the guy is an asshole, better to just move off I guess. Is it worth fighting over? Use your own judgment about other hunters in the distance. Every situation will be different. I don't think there's any hard and fast rules about overlap etiquette if that's what you're looking for. None that I know of anyway.

1) use them to your advantage. Set up where they might bump something to you. Especially if they are going through the dark timber. Usually that's about a half mile to a mile away from them. Try to be on a ridge where you can intercept the herd at a saddle. I've watched elk run out of one patch of timber to another at noon while eating lunch on a high point followed by a couple orange blobs.

2) If you run into them on the trail headed your same way, ask where they are headed and you go a different way. Up the next trail fork or finger ridge. see #1

3) if you hike into a drainage and see elk bones like spines but no leg bones or skulls don't set your camp up there. Move off a quarter mile or so to the edges of the clearing., Hunt that spot, don't camp there. (exception: if it is a historical camp with a meat pole and the elk bones are from breaking down elk.)

4) If you are hunting cows during a general season the guys you run into may have a bull tag. Let them know you are cow hunting if you have a convo with them.

5) If you both make a move on a herd the hunter with the best wind has the right of way.

6) just because you can shoot farther doesn't mean you should if there is a hunter between you and the game animal (closer)

Everything in this thread goes right out the window when the boots hit the ground. It all looks very pleasant on paper. lol

no need to stress out. Get there and enjoy it. You will soon figure out lots and whats going on in a given area within a day or 2. Talk to people if they are willing, never know someone may be deer hunting or bull hunting and tell you where some cows are. Ive shared lots of info in the field with other hunters and vice versa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back