Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Cougar or Coyote?

This was the last cougar we got on trail cam out here in the summer of 2018 , it’s 5 and half miles on ONX in line distance , from where that camera was to this location today , I would imagine it’s like 10 miles at least to walk that in a straight line. I’ve herd the males roam up to 100 square mile area , anyone’s guess if it’s the same one
2FE53879-1B36-4356-B476-EBD0BE98F7AE.jpeg

Not the same. The one in the photo is a mature cat.

Is that temp correct? Kinda odd for a cat to be cruising around in 104 degree weather I would think.

Is that temp correct? Kinda odd for a cat to be cruising around in 104 degree weather I would think.

Depends how hungry the cat is. I have spotted them while I was relaxing and scoping in shade mid-day with temps in the 90s. If they are hungry enough, they will be out any part of the day. Most of their kills though are in low light situations at night.

Cats also got a flat edge
You can draw an X through a canine print between the toe pads.

100% cat.

Lions also got a flat edge at the top of the middle pad and two distrinct indentations on the rear lobes. Not sure I would say X. Looks more like an H to me. Canine tracks also have claw marks where cats very rarely do unless they are climbing. Below is an image I downloaded that might help a bit.

Attachments

• liontracks.jpg
    liontracks.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 8
I don’t think the temperature was correct .. 80’s through low 90’s is normal summer weather here , Camera probably had some type of direct sunlight I know the elk moved it from time to time that summer and they had nudged it in that’s why it got the side angle on the picture of that cat because they moved it from the trail it was actually originally facing a small creek Crossing

One thing to note, don't always write off tracks with claw marks off as not lion. If a mountain lion is climbing or trying to gain traction or speed the claw marks will be visible. You might also see it where they attacked their prey.

Here’s the two ways to determine a feline and a canine.

Canine
-rounded lobe on back pad
-two outside toes line up with the back pad
CBF4337F-D9D2-4EA2-99C4-CD10A09BE30B.jpeg

Feline
-3 lobes on the back pad
-outside toes don’t line up with back pad
FA1E5B32-4D41-4397-9DD5-48950C9A2B9B.jpeg

Cats also got a flat edge

Lions also got a flat edge at the top of the middle pad and two distrinct indentations on the rear lobes. Not sure I would say X. Looks more like an H to me. Canine tracks also have claw marks where cats very rarely do unless they are climbing. Below is an image I downloaded that might help a bit.
He was saying draw an X for the coyote track (above diagram). The cat paw does make an H. It’s the easiest thing to recognize in a feline and canine track. Doesn’t matter if it’s snow, mud, sand, or dirt, it will be what stands out the most.

Here’s the two ways to determine a feline and a canine.

Canine
-rounded lobe on back pad
-two outside toes line up with the back pad

Feline
-3 lobes on the back pad
-outside toes don’t line up with back pad

Now I see what you mean by the X. I would add that with Feline the heel pad has a flat edge at the front pretty much where canines do not. But you are 100% correct on this.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back