Correct me if I am wrong?

I think you've definitely got the right idea AKal. My dad, brother, and I just went on our first elk hunt this year and only my bother bought a cow tag. We figured first time out, we're more than likely not going to kill anything let alone all of us kill something, so why blow the money on three tags and bulls tags at that. Cow tags are way cheaper so you're not going to feel so bad about coming home empty handed. In addition, cows are generally easier to come by depending on hunting pressure. Our philosophy is that we're going to cow elk hunt every year until we feel capable of going after bulls, building preference points in the mean time. Now you just have to figure out what state and then what unit you want to try for.

Cow elk hunting opportunities in Montana come in various forms. You can draw a general, either sex tag (drawing deadline March 15). Total cost for elk only is @ $900 and elk/deer combo is @ $1040. Depending on what season and area you hunt you can shoot either a cow or a bull.(regs vary per area and season.)

You can also draw an elk B license which is for a cow only. This drawing deadline is June 1 and the cost for N.R. is @$300. These tags are unit specific (sometimes multiple units are grouped together) and you can only kill a cow in the unit you draw. You'll need to do your research before drawing to know where to go. IMO, based on what you said you would like to do, this is probably your cheapest option and has the highest chance for success, especially if you apply for an area that offers limited bull/either sex tags and a high number of cow tags.

There is also the possibility of scoring a surplus cow tag (B License) when leftovers come out in early Aug. These are sold first come, first serve. This would be a last resort to go hunting somewhere rather than a starting strategy. There is usually a reason there are leftovers and the number one reason is lack of access because of private land. I would not get one of these tags without knowing for sure the exact areas or properties you are going to hunt.

When you see options for antlerless elk permits (most of region 1 ) these must be used with a general elk license and limit you to killing ONLY a cow in the unit you hold the permit for. ( Don't apply for this.)

Here is the link to the available licenses on the MT FWP webpage. Good luck with your plans! http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/all/

Last edited:
Get a cow tag for 360/362 in MT. This year it was 398-00 if memory serves me.. I can't imagine there are many places you could kill a elk as easily..

Thanks for the info guys! I will be doing some studying with this information provided, I really appreciate the help and direction!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back