Caribou Gear Tarp

Correct me if I am wrong?

AKal

My dad and I have never hunted elk. We want to wet our feet in it and figured a cow elk hunt may be the best way to do so? From what we have heard cow elk can be easier to come by, meaning we can be less worried about finding animals and really enjoy ourselves and the experience as in bust out some fishing gear here and there? We want to do a back country trip, beings we used to do them for fishing but its been a few years. Also have heard you can get cow tags in Montana OTC but have found no real info to support this, besides left overs. Am I correct in my thoughts or am I way off? Just a guy looking for some tips and hints on what to do.

I've always favored a first season either sex elk draw tag in SW Colorado as a decent value...that said, I'm interested n your OTC Montana reply also.

Any elk hunt, whether it's for bulls or cows is a hell of a lot better than just sitting at home. Colorado, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming all have cow tags that are fairly easy to get. A cow hunt will get you in the mountains and give you an idea of what to expect for future hunts in similar terrain. Get a tag and go! Good Luck

Theres a few in R2 and R3, but these are mostly on private land (not backcountry). And then there are the surplus tags, and these go after the draws. What is available there is a wildcard and they are first come first served sometime in August.

I have had great fun on cow hunts and will take my son as soon as he is old enough. There are a few very easy draw LE cow hunts in Utah, CO and WY that would be a lot of fun to draw.

Awesome replies! I was going to ask about drawings but it seems you guys have answered with surplus being a thing but could potentially run out. It is reassuring that people seem to like the cow hunt idea as well, and I assume its a great way to learn coming from the northern Minnesota whitetail woods. From what I was seeing cow tags are less costly as well? Figured it would lessen the hurt of the learning curve by not shelling out so much money and be unsuccessful.

I've always favored a first season either sex elk draw tag in SW Colorado as a decent value...that said, I'm interested n your OTC Montana reply also.

The rut seems to be getting pushed back a little every year, so 1st season might be the way to go. The first season elk tags are either sex, so you pay full price, but you can shoot whichever you see. You might come away with a bull :cool: But, if it were me coming out for the first time, I would definitely do a lesser priced cow tag for a few years. You still get awesome meat to take home if you're successful, and cows are more plentiful than bulls. Colorado has OTC elk tags for archery, and you can buy just a cow tag for less money. Archery is a nice time to hunt since the elk are vocal and just starting to kick into the rut. Plus, the weather is usually nicer too.

Last edited:
From what I was seeing cow tags are less costly as well? Figured it would lessen the hurt of the learning curve by not shelling out so much money and be unsuccessful.

Be careful on this one, Wyoming particularly, we have full price cow/calf tags and reduced priced cow/calf tags. Type 4 being full priced and type 6 being your reduced. Don't get caught up on a full priced application and put a type 1 first choice and type 4 as a 2nd or 3rd choice, that's an expensive cow/calf tag. The full priced tags are separate from the reduced, so if you pay attention to what application you're submitting, you should be fine. I highly suggest picking up a reduced cow/calf tag near or if possible, in the unit you want to eventually hunt bulls in. Find a unit and stick with it.

Cow tag's are all I get. Think about it, there's a heck of a lot more cow's out there than bulls! I'm a meat hunter.

I strongly agree that a person should try to hunt a unit over and over with a cow,, or even a deer tag in the unit they would like to hunt bulls in.
Elk seem to be a gotta be in the right place in the right time ,type of a hunt. Knowledge of an area and the places elk tend to travel is worth more than any other advice or hunting skill.

Be careful on this one, Wyoming particularly, we have full price cow/calf tags and reduced priced cow/calf tags. Type 4 being full priced and type 6 being your reduced. Don't get caught up on a full priced application and put a type 1 first choice and type 4 as a 2nd or 3rd choice, that's an expensive cow/calf tag. The full priced tags are separate from the reduced, so if you pay attention to what application you're submitting, you should be fine. I highly suggest picking up a reduced cow/calf tag near or if possible, in the unit you want to eventually hunt bulls in. Find a unit and stick with it.

In order to prevent what you are describing Wyoming uses "antlerless" (usually a Type 4 license) to indicate they are full price licenses and "cow or calf" (usually a Type 6 or 7 license) to indicate they are reduced price licenses.

ClearCreek

Idaho has several backcountry draw cow tags that are sort of remote with great odds. If you buy the license(required) but do not draw the tag there are also several OTC options to choose from.
As an example:apply for an any weapon cow tag in 59/59A. Nonresident apps have averaged 40% success in recent years. Hunt remote and have a blast. If you do not draw you can still buy a tag OTC for the same unit and hunt with archery for any elk for a month (September) and/or hunt cows for 2 weeks with a muzzleloader in October. There are also other OTC tags you could buy that are rifle cow tags in other units if you don’t draw.
You have lots to think about because there are several good options in several states, but, there is no reason you can’t hunt elk this year and every year after.

You know, there's a lot of hype about backcountry and I've hyped it a lot myself. Backcountry means different things to different folks. But I wouldn't worry too much about getting "in deep" on my first, DIY elk season. Get off the roads even a mile and you'll shake a lot of the riffraff. Killing and packing out an elk, even a cow, is a big, big job that is really hard to appreciate until you've done it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a truck-based camp and hiking in on trails, closed roads for a first elk hunt. Have fun and good luck.

Cow hunting is as good an experience as bull hunting in my opinion. However, cows aren't necessarily easier to find. I've hunted only cows this season. I've seen bulls every day out, but not cows. The exception was the day I actually shot a cow. She was the only elk I saw that whole day. In WY, sometimes full price cow tags (type 4) are easier to draw than discounted cow tags (type 6 & 7). Depending on the unit, you may want to pay a little extra for better odds.

Cow hunting is as good an experience as bull hunting in my opinion. However, cows aren't necessarily easier to find. I've hunted only cows this season. I've seen bulls every day out, but not cows. The exception was the day I actually shot a cow. She was the only elk I saw that whole day. In WY, sometimes full price cow tags (type 4) are easier to draw than discounted cow tags (type 6 & 7). Depending on the unit, you may want to pay a little extra for better odds.

My experiences agree with this. If I find elk, either bulls or cows, it is a great day as both are hard to find. I have also noticed that even in the later rifle seasons when the bulls are in sanctuary mode, so are the cows to some extent. They won't be standing right next to each other, but they will be in the same canyon or on the same mountain, just in different areas and in different groups. If you are bull hunting and you find cows, keep looking in the same general area as there will be bulls there too, or vice versa.

My dad and I both drew reduced price cow/calf tags in WY this year(my dad lives in WY, I live in MT). The draw odds were almost 100% and the price wasn't bad, but most importantly I wanted to hunt with my dad again. Most of the elk we saw ended up being on private land that is outfitted(and therefore off limits) but we finally did get into some and we were both able to fill our tags...dad got his on BLM and I shot mine on private land that we got permission to hunt.

Like others have said, I think a reduced price cow/calf tag in WY is a good way to get introduced to elk hunting in the west. Just do some research and pick the place you want to try and hunt.

Montana - Non-res combo License for Elk is almost $900 and is by draw...there are extras to be purchased typically but they can go fast once available. With the general elk tag, harvest type is dependent on area...and some areas are any sex.

Your best bet would be to just go to the official Montana Fishing, Wildlife and Parks web site and download a regulations guide...you'll have to go there to download applications anyway....March 15 is the deadline to submit!

Thank you all so much for your input and information! It means a lot and it looks like I have some homework to do!

Ditto the comments on cows & BL's point ,you do not have to go 10mi to hunt elk...usually,sometimes.
In NM the early/bow tags are ES,and I don't know how many hunters go home with unfilled tags after unlimited opportunities on cows...on the last day.
I don't know how many go 6-10 yrs on unfilled bull tags,when they could be eating like kings....been there,done that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back