Corner Crossing Defense Fund, Round 2- Civil Case

Bam Bam

Hey Fellas, the public land hunters won their criminal case, but now Elk Mountain Ranch is attempting to sue them. Times are getting hard for some of us- but if you can even give a little, please do so. Public land is our land, we should be able to access it. This is worth fighting for!

oh shoot. yeah. saw that e-mail come through last night and forgot about it not 18 seconds later.

better do this now before i forget again.

Will be interested to hear the adjacent landowner's claim for damages in the civil suit--after all, to win a civil suit, you need to show damages, even nominal ones in the case of trespass. Will they argue that, by trespassing (and let's be clear, I don't think this was trespassing), the hunters were able to harvest an elk that should have been off-limits to them, despite it being on public land? That would be an interesting claim for damages, given that the elk isn't "owned" by the landowners.

Anyone happen to know the landowner here? A big ranching outfit? A hunting outfit? Or just someone who likes to keep the public off of public land?

Will be interested to hear the adjacent landowner's claim for damages in the civil suit--after all, to win a civil suit, you need to show damages, even nominal ones in the case of trespass. Will they argue that, by trespassing (and let's be clear, I don't think this was trespassing), the hunters were able to harvest an elk that should have been off-limits to them, despite it being on public land? That would be an interesting claim for damages, given that the elk isn't "owned" by the landowners.

Anyone happen to know the landowner here? A big ranching outfit? A hunting outfit? Or just someone who likes to keep the public off of public land?

fred eshelman. https://unceii.org/fred-eshelman/

i gotta assume there is some outfitting on the property and i'm sure they run cattle.

but mostly i think it's just fred's western playground.

In case anybody is unfamiliar with the lawsuit, listen to meat eater episode 342. Skip the first half of the episode.

I can't believe the landowner thinks he has a leg to stand on in this case.

In case anybody is unfamiliar with the lawsuit, listen to meat eater episode 342. Skip the first half of the episode.

Some people just wanna sue outta spite to ruin someone financially. Winning a case isn’t always winning in court.

It's a conversation that's been had on this site many times, but at some point, the state/feds really need to step in and help out. For example, I'd love to see the State codify that corner crossing is not trespass. That would stop silly civil suits as well as the criminal issues (that always get dismissed). But I think it would be nice to see the BLM/State go a little further--what about establishing permanent ladders, for example, in the corners of certain tracts? So that if the landowners mess with them, they're committing a crime, etc. Would be nice to see the authorities take an affirmative, pro-hunter stance on this.

Maybe the defendants will be forced to pay attorney's fees for both sides when the landowner is awarded $1 for "bruised airspace"? (Listen to Randy's two-part podcast on the corner crossing subject.)

We should set up a fund to helicopter in hunting crews all around his property
No funds needed. Just cross the corners in mass and let him try to sue everyone...

There is actually quite a few elk, deer and lopes on and around his property. Everyone should be flocking there this fall.

The four highlighted BLM parcels have a public road that passes through them. Use them to cross to the other adjacent public lands! Just figure out where Elk mountain, WY is and you should be able to figure it out.
1660082308162.png

1660082353019.png

This thing crossed my airspace last night while my family and I were sitting out on our porch. They were probably 50’ or so off the ground. Can I sue them? A giant balloon right above my head is way more intrusive than a pair of boots crossing a corner. For the record, I am happy to share my airspace with any balloons that happen to float over, though I’d love to sue them and fail if it would set a precedent.

D9C721C2-CB19-4021-9A41-E2525EC9B91C.jpeg

This thing crossed my airspace last night while my family and I were sitting out on our porch. They were probably 50’ or so off the ground. Can I sue them? A giant balloon right above my head is way more intrusive than a pair of boots crossing a corner. For the record, I am happy to share my airspace with any balloons that happen to float over, though I’d love to sue them and fail if it would set a precedent.

View attachment 233389
Interesting, hadn't thought of the balloon corollary (my wife is a balloon pilot). No legal issues with flying as low as you want, though we do try to avoid flying low over livestock. Legally, you can land where you damn well please, as any balloon landing can be viewed as an emergency landing.

Generally, one is safe from trespassing charges due to the emergency landing provision, but you can still be required to pay for damages caused by the landing. With the right wind direction, a balloon could be a great corner-crossing device!

So a CH47 Chinook helicopter, as I understand can carry up to 33 passengers. How many drop camps? UTV's, ATV's? There is a helo service in MT has them so maybe new business opportunity? But any flight over the corners must include playing the Ride of the Valkyries (Apocalypse Now movie) on speakers.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back