Cormac McCarthy

His imagery is vivid, but can also haunt you in his portrayals of inventive violence, similar to that in McMurtry's later works based in the West.

And the clinically cold violence in No Country for Old Men freaked me out a bit.

Didn't know about his personal life, but not surprised. May he rest in peace.

Oh absolute piece of work. Wanted to release wolves in Arizona, had his family living in poverty so he could focus on writing. As author's go though that seems to be the norm. Apparently having a tortured soul is good for your creativity.
Oh he was mad as a hatter Will...those stories are many, the wordsmith'd imagery more, much more.

Jimmy Blevens is one of the great characters in American fiction. The first two pages of The Crossing are one of the best depictions of wild nature in American letters.

Another thing about McCarthy. When you're in writing school, they tell you Things You Should Not Do. McCarthy did them all. And the result is the kind of writing that sweeps the reader into another space. And then drops you back in reality with a chunk of prose that drops your jaw. But his brutality could be a bit much for me. (Side note. I once had a Black Lab/Chesapeake Bay cross that I named Cormac. Beautiful dog but crazy as shit. Wanted to kill every dog it came across. Including puppies. I had to put him down.)

I'll admit I've never read any of his books....recommended starting point?

I've a hunt coming this fall that could involve considerable time in a tent waiting out poor weather, so a good paperback is on my packing list...
Just be warned, he has a unique style that takes some getting use to.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back