Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Cormac McCarthy

“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.” -CM​

I'll admit I've never read any of his books....recommended starting point?

I've a hunt coming this fall that could involve considerable time in a tent waiting out poor weather, so a good paperback is on my packing list...

I've a hunt coming this fall that could involve considerable time in a tent waiting out poor weather, so a good paperback is on my packing list...
All the pretty horses
The crossing
Cities of the plain

Known as the border trilogy and well worth your time.

If you would have asked me this morning who the greatest author alive was I would have told you Cormac McCarthy.

I never had someone paint a landscape across my imagination as vividly as he could.

I’ve read Blood Meridian twice and listened one and a half times. It’s so vivid that once I had kids there were a few things that made me turn it off and I haven’t had the gumption to ease back in.

I was turned onto him thanks to the Ben Nichols solo album “Last Pale Light in the West” which was basically written as a soundtrack to Blood Meridian. I can still listen to THAT at least.

I have a bunch more of McCarthy’s work to read, just need the time. And more gumption

Truly one of the best to ever do it and in my humble opinion the best American author ever.

All the pretty horses
The crossing
Cities of the plain

Known as the border trilogy and well worth your time.
I have these 3. In some ways I hate reading them, because it can be depressing, but occasionally I just feel like reading one again. I feel he, more than any author I know, writes with brutal honesty about consequences for choices.
And yeah, he's the master of vivid word pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back