Corked boots

T Bone

Looking for more information on having my Meindl boots corked.

Anyone out there had it done? Who does it?

T- Do you mean you want to convert them over to caulked (spiked) boots?

If so, you can do it yourself with just a drill (for pilot holes) and buy the spikes loose in the bag (usually 3 dz) that comes with the wrench. Similar to a golf spike wrench. No sense in paying somebody else as its real easy- used to do my own boots when I set chokers in the winter...even my Whites in the summer a few times.

Be careful on rock with those babies...can turn into an ice rink for ya!
Other than that they work o.k....the best use I had was when we were cleaning out an old burn and all the down/dead stuff had slipping bark. Keot Marv from busting his boney (then!) ass on more than one occassion...

cork.bmp

TBone..are you talking about the cork inner soles like the ones Filson uses? Or are there models that utilizes cork in the welt construction? Just curious.

I'm interested in the cork inner sole version. Kind of like the Birkenstock effect in mountaineering boots.

Ooops...my bad :eek:

I only know of one guy who went this route in his hiking boots and hsi results were mixed...kept getting wrinkles and bunching.

He used the "korks" from Superfeet, but again it was 3-4 years ago and they may have improved- here is the link to their site if you want to poke around

Superfeet

Check out Filson's site. I believe they offer cork slip ins. Been meaning to try them in my Danner pronghorns.

T Bone

Have you thought of using a set of in-step crampons as opposed to the corks? That is what I use on my Meindl's. You can almost walk up walls with them. ;)

I agree with Ovis. If you're headed up into the slick and steep in-steps are the way to go.

I have a 12 year old pair of Meindl Canada Hunter's from Cabelas that I've had re-soled but never messed with the midsole(if thats what you mean)

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back