Cooper/Swaro/Talley - Aargh!

It shot great for two years and then kicked the can. My guess is there had been pressure on that tube the whole time and finally one of the recoils put a kink in it. You guys give expensive advice, BUT YOU'RE RIGHT!

View attachment 112355

I'll go shoot the new scope and mounting system today and hope we're all good. The old scope will go on a 7mm I have when it gets back from Swaro.
I think you made a very wise decision

Glad you got it figured out. Had a similar problem with rings ever so slightly misinstalled. It surprised me that what I would have assumed to be a minor amount of torque could compress the tube enough to affect function.

Just to give you an idea of the misalignment of the rear ring affecting contact on the front ring. When the rear ring was rotated, the contact switched to the other side.

This was apparently all it took to crimp the tube, even with properly torqued screws.

20190814_180308.jpg

Yikes.

Talley has worked well a lot of years for me. This picture has got me to consider discontinuing their use, but I firgure a defect can happen with just about anything.

Got the bid back from Swaro...$275 for a new tube. I'm guessing Talley won't be sending me a check?

I replaced the Talley LWs on my 7mm Rem Mag with VX-6 Leupold scope with a picatinny and Leupold rings. Now the rifle groups like it promised. With the Talleys it was all over the place... but not as bad as yours. The rifle gave me fits... just figured it out last week. I don’t think I will buy Talley again and your post confirms it’s not just a fluke for me.

Too many stories like this for me to bother using Swaro z series scopes (or really any standard light hunting scopes) or talleys on hunts beyond backyard mn deer hunts.

Nightforce, SWFA, or LRHS for me. I have a hankering that even with misaligned talleys these scopes would be much more forgiving.

I bought 2 sets of talleys after hearing all the hype for years about them. One set was unusable they were so mis-aligned. The other set had to be lapped extensively to even make 75% contact.

Lots of other great options out there to be messing around with Talleys.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back