Cooling meat in creek water

I really like the idea of putting my boned out meat in plastic and submerging it in cold creek water. I've read it mentioned a few times in books and would love to use it to push deeper into the wilderness during archery. My pack crew is skeptical to say the least.

Has anyone done this? What have the results been?

I have heard mixed opinions. The biggest concern is introduction of bacteria into the meat from the water. If you know for sure the bags will not leak, I like the idea but there are not many plastic bags I would trust, and bags thick enough would be pretty heavy to pack in.
I however have used the creek as a beer cooler many times:D

Metal paniers are great for sitting in a creek while in camp... We would pack our pork chops and steaks... 1 panier was dedicated as our cooler. As for plastic bags of game meat... I suppose I would entertain the idea if the shaded weather was not in favor and no snow to be found...

I have heard diferent things also but with water that brings the higher chance for bacteria. But someone else with more experience may be able to give you better info that has done this. I have heard of people packing antelope with ice and some people say dont do this cause bacteria

In the past we have kept meat in warm temps very effectively by taking lodge poles and laying them a cross a free flowing creek keeping the logs just above the water and in a shaded area. With boned out meat in regular meat sacks laying the sacks on the poles just above the water. You would be amazed at what the air temp in the shade 6" above a flowing stream is versus ambient temp in a non shaded area is.

Now if you're dealing with some rediculously high temps that is a different cat.

In the past we have kept meat in warm temps very effectively by taking lodge poles and laying them a cross a free flowing creek keeping the logs just above the water and in a shaded area. With boned out meat in regular meat sacks laying the sacks on the poles just above the water. You would be amazed at what the air temp in the shade 6" above a flowing stream is versus ambient temp in a non shaded area is.

Now if you're dealing with some rediculously high temps that is a different cat.

Now THAT'S an idea! The drainages near me are all very steep and consequentially the streams are hauling, which really circulates that cool air quickly and carries away heat. All without worrying that I may waterlog the meat, introduce bacteria, etc.

FYI - both mentions of this recommend 13 gallon white trash bags. Maybe both mentions are by the same contributor. I don't know.

Yep,and contractor bags don't have fragrance. I had a guy tell me one time he ruined a whitetail by putting it in white kitchen bags and icing it down for three days.I would definitely stay away from bags with fragrance.

Two things to keep in mind regarding trash bags and meat.

Grey, black or brown bags are made out of recycled plastic resins. They might have some level of contaminates in them.

White or translucent bags are made out of new “virgin” resins, and are considered “food grade”.

Also, look at the thickness of the bag.
Bags that list the thickness in “microns” (usually between 10 and 20 Mic.) are usually made with cheaper “high density” plastic, and don’t stretch well. They are weaker, and anything sharp or pointy will cause them to rip.
Bag thickness listed in Mils (usually between 1 and 1.6 Mil) are made of much stronger “low density” plastic. They will stretch and hold much more weight.

Personally I would never do it. meat needs to be put in some type of game bag to cool properly.
If it is put in plastic, it will not be allowed to cool properly and could actually hold in gases that could make it spoil quicker, JMO.
And if you just put game bag in the water, the meat could get bacteria that you don't want on your meat, plus with blood going down the creek, you could end up with some guests at your meat that you really don't want, from smelling the blood and following the smell back to it. IMHO

Kevin

I would opt for the platform method first, but if it was too warm or I couldn't make the right setup for it I would not hesitate to use the submersion method. As stated, make sure you are using food grade bags that are unscented and don't put too much meat in each bag that the middle parts aren't getting cooled.

I would use this more for immediate cooling, then figure out a way to hang it or build a cooling platform to keep it cooled while I was packing it back to the truck.

I've been reading through a number of elk hunting books available from the library including an RMEF publication, The New Elk Hunters Cookbook and Meat Care Guide, 2004. Writer Don Burgess suggests the best way to cool meat quickly is to "immerse the entire field dressed carcass in the nearest stream or pond as soon as you can. With animals too big to move whole [what elk isn't?],break them down into quarters and pack them to the nearest water. Unless it's a stinking elk wallow, it's not going to hurt the meat at all to throw the whole works in and leave it there until it's reached water temperature. I've been doing this for years whenever I kill an animal on a warm day. It could be one reason I've wound up with so little bad meat."

This may be a good way to handle an animal in warm weather conditions where it can't be quickly packed out and refrigerated, but I think you'd want to wash with potable water and butcher pretty soon thereafter. My own experience with washing and wiping a carcass even with clean water is that meat can sour deeper and more quickly if temps rise much over 40F.

I've been reading through a number of elk hunting books available from the library including an RMEF publication, The New Elk Hunters Cookbook and Meat Care Guide, 2004. Writer Don Burgess suggests the best way to cool meat quickly is to "immerse the entire field dressed carcass in the nearest stream or pond as soon as you can. With animals too big to move whole [what elk isn't?],break them down into quarters and pack them to the nearest water. Unless it's a stinking elk wallow, it's not going to hurt the meat at all to throw the whole works in and leave it there until it's reached water temperature. I've been doing this for years whenever I kill an animal on a warm day. It could be one reason I've wound up with so little bad meat."

This may be a good way to handle an animal in warm weather conditions where it can't be quickly packed out and refrigerated, but I think you'd want to wash with potable water and butcher pretty soon thereafter. My own experience with washing and wiping a carcass even with clean water is that meat can sour deeper and more quickly if temps rise much over 40F.

WOW! Pretty straight forward... interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Did this to our meat this year but we didn't put it in the water just used the rocks around it. meat was allready cool just used the cool river to keep it cool during the day when the sun was hot. Find some shade the air around the river was at least 15 degrees cooler than anywhere. Could have kept it there for days, would hang it at night to keep from the bears.

Several years ago a hunting buddy won a raffle in Wyoming. He had his choice of an antelope, deer or elk tag in any open unit in the state. He had a friend in Wyo who really knew the elk hunting so he picked elk. They rode way back into the Thorofare in winter. 17 miles if I remember right.He killed a 380 bull. It was plenty cold enough to hang the meat but they way they kept it was in the creek.
I've aged my meat in water at home before. I learned this from an old John Wootters book. Put the meat in a clean ice chest and cover with ice. As the ice melts add more but don't drain the water out. Never let the ice completely melt before adding more. The key is to keep the water just above freezing. It goes against everything I've ever heard but it works great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back