Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Cooler Size

Did a caribou hunt this past Aug. I bought a cheap 70qt igloo style cooler. It ended up being the perfect weight/size/amount of meat combo. Ended up at 92lbs if I remember correctly. Also did the yeti backpack cooler carry on with the rest of the meat. The meat was slightly frozen and made it home fine.

I think if you end up paying for the extra weight the length doesn't matter or at least to a certain amount on Alaska.

Sorry for the hijack but does anyone have experience flying Alaska with a hard side cooler? They list 62 linear inches which looks to be about 50 quarts.

Anyone fly with the next larger size?

I need to transport some fully processed venison to sibling in another state?
A 48 quart fully loaded weighs in at 50 pounds, Plus or minus, still should weigh it. Alaska hits you hard for over weight charges. That being said I use the next size up when I go up every year for some of my gear. Never had them measure it. Loaded it up once with fish coming home, about 70 pounds of fillets.

Yes, I've flown with a Yeti 65 and a coleman I think 100. Weight kinda hoses you with the heavier coolers.

If you can fly direct I'd just go with a duffle
in trash bags. Toss in a towel to deal with any condensation and you are good to go. I've done this AK-> Denver.
Yes, I've flown with a Yeti 65 and a coleman I think 100. Weight kinda hoses you with the heavier coolers.

So I am flying with wife to visit her high school friend. We have our weekend carry ons.
I can only imaging the drama if an over stickler flight agent refuses to allow a duffle of meat or rejects an oversized cooler of meat.

I am attempting to avoid any issues.
If it was just me I could roll with it, but avoiding angst is a sure sign of maturity.

So I am flying with wife to visit her high school friend. We have our weekend carry ons.
I can only imaging the drama if an over stickler flight agent refuses to allow a duffle of meat or rejects an oversized cooler of meat.

I am attempting to avoid any issues.
If it was just me I could roll with it, but avoiding angst is a sure sign of maturity.
Totally, I would go with a cheap Coleman then, trash bag the meat inside then duct tape it shut. 🤷‍♂️

Funny aside, I actually got my mom to do a duffle of meat run for me… she brought out like 45 lbs.

Then last fall I flew from Denver to Boston, with my dog, rifle, and an entire cow elk in duffles… I like to live dangerously I guess.

I have a couple older igloo coolers that will work, but a latching hard side would be better.

The weight of the cooler complicates it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220216-161210_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220216-161210_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20220216-161226_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220216-161226_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 4
Back to the original question, the largest cooler you can get in my opinion. I have a Yeti 125 and when dealing with elk I always wish it was a bit bigger. Especially keeping quarter whole. Quarters don’t pack all that efficiently.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back