Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Cooler Size

tmike51

Last fall I killed a 4yr old bull and had to break the quarters down at the joints to fit them into my 100qt coolers. I am going to pick up something bigger and wanted to know what size you think is best. I would like to keep the quarters whole so I can hang them in a walk in freezer to age when I get home. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Go with a few 65-75s instead of a monster cooler. Those things are impossible to move once they’re loaded.
Even the 100’s were to heavy. I just need it for transport in the back of the truck. I can drive right up to the freezer. No need to move the cooler thank God.

Even the 100’s were to heavy. I just need it for transport in the back of the truck. I can drive right up to the freezer. No need to move the cooler thank God.
Makes sense, and I missed the part about needing whole quarters.

Please stand by, 10 more seconds and someone will be here to inform you Yeti’s are junk and that RTIC is where it’s at.
Big Frig is where it’s at. Only because I won two 120qt coolers for $20

Last edited:
I have an IGlOO 150 and fit all 4 quarters and backstraps plus some other scrap meat from a mature bull in it. There was no room for ice however. Sams club sells them for about $75

Sorry for the hijack but does anyone have experience flying Alaska with a hard side cooler? They list 62 linear inches which looks to be about 50 quarts.

Anyone fly with the next larger size?

I need to transport some fully processed venison to sibling in another state?

Sorry for the hijack but does anyone have experience flying Alaska with a hard side cooler? They list 62 linear inches which looks to be about 50 quarts.

Anyone fly with the next larger size?

I need to transport some fully processed venison to sibling in another state?
1644873132490.png

Yes, I've flown with a Yeti 65 and a coleman I think 100. Weight kinda hoses you with the heavier coolers.

If you can fly direct I'd just go with a duffle in trash bags. Toss in a towel to deal with any condensation and you are good to go. I've done this AK-> Denver.

You could do a travel day with layovers it's just introducing risk you bags will get lost.

1644873269766.png
1644873290608.png

Thanks for the response, direct flight but this is a side transport from our vacay. So it has to be checked and Alaska says:

“Fish and raw game meat may be accepted as baggage only if packaged in a leak-proof container (Styrofoam not accepted). Gel ice is recommended, but up to 5.5 pounds of dry ice is allowed per customer”

I have a couple older igloo coolers that will work, but a latching hard side would be better.

The weight of the cooler complicates it.

The weight of the cooler complicates it.
Exactly, hence the duffles... I've flown a bunch using that method without any issues. It seems crazy the first time you do it but then you arrive and the meat is still rock solid frozen. Think about how long it takes to defrost a frozen turkey for thanksgiving.

The other thing I've done is carry-on. You can put like 40lbs of meat in your pack and use that as your carry-on. Delta has a weight limit on carry-on as does lufthansa but the other airlines do not.

I carried on a caribou from Adak --> Denver, and a bear from POW --> Denver

Last edited:
I use a 150 qt cooler per bull & a 50 qt for the cape 80 % of the time dry ice only. Yes lifting on and off the tail gate and moving is a two guy job. If they are deboned you can use a 120 qt.

I use a 150 qt cooler per bull & a 50 qt for the cape 80 % of the time dry ice only. Yes lifting on and off the tail gate and moving is a two guy job. If they are deboned you can use a 120 qt.
Are you flying with 150 quarts?
Is that Alaska?

Are you flying with 150 quarts?
Is that Alaska?
No, I drive from Pa to the various western states. I am sorry if I missed something I was responding to the original post. It can get very interesting how to achieve the goal of bringing the meat back. In coolers in the bed of a truck or in a trailer or the most dangerous> a bull in the 150 qt cooler ratchet strapped to the front rack of a 4 wheeler and a few antelope bucks and a few deer in a 150 qt cooler ratchet strapped to the rear rack of the 4 wheeler and the capes in coolers on the floor foot pad area and the 4 wheeler loaded in the bed of the truck. Brought back over 50 animals over the years never lost a lb in transportation due to spoilage.

Back