Cooler Setup

Redraider7

Okay guys and gals. What is your cooler setup? Multiple coolers? One giant one? Size? Brand? Looking for a fathers day gift.

I’ve search and searched and I picked canyon coolers. I like their hinge design, it can pushed up flat against something and still open. In all the ice test I saw they are some on the last ones to still hold ice. I went with the 125.

I have a Yeti 110 and a huge cheap walmart cooler. The Yeti is great for deer, antelope, and rafting trips, the giant walmart one is good for fitting and transporting elk rear quarters back to the house. I like the Yeti alot, but it was a wedding gift from my wife's company and I'm not sure I would have spent the money on it myself. I've good things about Canyon Coolers as well.

I’ve search and searched and I picked canyon coolers. I like their hinge design, it can pushed up flat against something and still open. In all the ice test I saw they are some on the last ones to still hold ice. I went with the 125.
Never head of canyon coolers but I will look into them. Does the 125 stick out of your truck? I have a bed cover and I want it to be flush. Also, can you fit 4 elk quarters in that size cooler?

Would you recommend? This is what I am leaning towards. Cheaper than a YETI but seems to have a good reputation.
I don’t know. We’ve been happy with them. Seems there are more options now and it might be worth shopping around

We picked both up on a sale, total price wasn’t terrible. Had them about 5-6 years or so.

After lifting a full 65 by myself, there is no way I’d want a 125.

I got the biggest one I could fit on a rear hitch carrier. I think it’s a 165 Grizzly. They do a really good Military discount. I chain it to the hitch carrier on both sides and use a pin clamp. Makes it very hard to steal and will fit a moose, or a elk and couple antelope.

I also have a cheap Walmart Coleman that gets over flow if needed.

Never head of canyon coolers but I will look into them. Does the 125 stick out of your truck? I have a bed cover and I want it to be flush. Also, can you fit 4 elk quarters in that size cooler?
I haven’t had elk in it yet. I’ll dig it out and take some pictures but if I can remember I think it sits flush, I’m not sure cause I have a topper.

It stands 20.25” high so it should just fit.

I like the 115 sized rtic and lifetime coolers. Not to heavy to handle if you have to but hold ice good. I typically use better cooler for what i need for camp food beer etc and then keep a extra empty cooler in truck. The empty is filled with extra drinks or other things i dont want to freeze overnight if cold or keep dry if it rains. Many times especially if elk hunting that truck cooler is a cheapy igloo 150 extreme, LOTS of room for meat and ice and air circulation. Something i have found that works well for me is I use the hell out of the igloo extra large ice packsScreenshot_20220613-190051_Chrome.jpg

i use a 100qt pelican ($250)for big ice storage and hauling meat
had a 75 bison ($350)for drinks and drink ice ,
just switched to a 77 lifetime ($175) for cold water and ice , it’s pretty dang good for Walmart

my recommendation is lifetime for price to ice holding value and a couple of big ice (https://bigice.com/) to pre cool and have good base ice

Last edited:
We take 3 150 quart igloos. Never had any issues. Bag the meat and pack with ice. Drain periodically. Driven cross country multiple times.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back