Cool Gifts

I got a goat hunt to Alaska. Same thing I got for my birthday, anniversary, birthday next year....:rolleyes: ;)

I'm not the handiest guy in the world but I can hold my own. Anyways early in our relationship I convinced my wife I was a retard when it came to tools, hence my honey do list was very short. Well I blew my cover, and now she knows I am "capable" with tools. Since my cover is blown I figured I might as well get some benefit to me out of it. So I began looking into building my own fly rod. I received a fly rod building kit, and new reel from my in laws. Pretty cool of them. If it doesnt look too shitty when I complete it I'll post some pictures. How my cover got blown is another story all together.

Building fly rods has nothing to do with being handy with tools. It is all about patience and EXTREME perfectionism. Don't let anything that is not perfect go, as it is easy enough to try a second time on a wrap to get it looking perfect. And, for years to come, you will look at it and either see something you are pleased with or something you wished you would have done better.

I can grab the first steelhead rod I ever built and my eyes instantly go to the mistakes, can't help it. I can grab the last Sage Flyrod I built and I don't even bother looking for imperfections as they are few and far between.

Moral to the story, it is Winter, you have the time, do it right.

Back