Caribou Gear Tarp

Cool fox from yesterday

mtmiller

This guys crossed the road in front of me. I grabbed the camera and got a few good shots.

I didn't realize cow flop was part of the swift fox diet.:D
5-6.jpg

Busted. Lots of hoppers this year.
3-7.jpg

Littermate in the area. Ferocious or just tired?
7-4.jpg

When the blue grama is the same height as the critter, it is really small or a good moisture year. A little of both in this case.
11-2.jpg

Man those are nice pictures. They almost look like paintings.

mtmiller, since you got the Nikon, the color, saturation and clarity of your photos has been outstanding.
Keep up the good work.

Great stuff

love the second one with the hoppers flushing out of the grass.....

Neat stuff......how common are Swift Foxes currently?.....I thought they were in really tough shape and barely holding on....is that the case or is that old information?...

Steve

Neat stuff......how common are Swift Foxes currently?.....I thought they were in really tough shape and barely holding on....is that the case or is that old information?...

Steve

Swift fox are doing pretty well in northern MT. About 5 years ago there were an estimated 500. I am sure the number is higher now. Last year they allowed a trapping quota of 20 in Region 6. Not sure if that filled or not.

I see a couple every year, this was my closest encounter with a camera. Last year, while GPSing a new fence, I found a litter. They seemed pretty naive, so I came back with the pickup and my camera. Sure enough, they were hanging out above the den. I decided to cut the motor and fill out a quick data sheet before taking pics. My mistake, they went into the den and I could only wait about 15 minutes before I had to get moving on. Rookie mistake on my part.:D

Cool little critters.

Awesome pics - as usual, MtMiller!

I dig the actual black whiskers each clear as day!

Thanks for sharing 'em.

Saw some photos of some real small ones taken up near the

border last year....the guy that took them was named "Carlson" if I remember correctly.....little bitty ones like you described....definately would be neat to see no matter the age....

Thanks for the info....

Steve

border last year....the guy that took them was named "Carlson" if I remember correctly.....little bitty ones like you described....definately would be neat to see no matter the age....

Thanks for the info....

Steve

Probably John Carlson. He was my counterpart in Glasgow last year and is now the state lead.

Nice pics! mtmiller, If you don't mind me asking, What camera and lens where you using ? and What distance ?

Nikon D90 and 70-300 VR. Pics I posted were probaly 40 to 10 yards. I remember on the closest one I had to bring the zoom down.

thats him.....

has a nice Blog "Prairie Ice" that features some really good photograpny, though none of it "hunting" related....

Kit Foxes, Mountain Plovers, Prairie Grouse Leks......makes me want to move to Montana.....like you need yet another immigrant....

Steve

I never have seen them in Montana, but they're pretty common down here near Laramie. Cool critters for sure.

Nice pics Miller...as usual.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back