Caribou Gear Tarp

Cool Bull Elk Story..

Cool story. I personally wouldn't enjoy looking at those antlers as it would be a reminder of the poor shot and lost meat. That said, the bull was dead anyways, him enjoying his mount doesn't change that so if it gives him some satisfaction and closure, I'm happy for him.

No way is that bull packing around the same set of antlers for several years, if that's what you're saying.
I'm saying it's possible that he didn't die in the fall when he was pursuing finding him. Its possible the elk didn't die till the spring or even later than that. In the condition the site looks like, it was clearly dead for 1 plus years. There was a buck here in Wisconsin that kept the same big rack for 3 straight years until it was finally shot. It was found to have an old arrow in its front shoulder and it is hypothesized that the injury is why it didn't ever drop its horns.

Because of this you're unable to form an unbiased opinion about a story of a guy wounding a bull and it remarkably being found 6 years later?

I am not saying I am, I am articulating why this story might not receive as much positive attention that it could other wise receive due to some complaints that this is a “harsh crowd.” I personally commend the wildlife officer who was thoughtful and considerate of everyone involved. The hunter did his best but this is just one of the possible outcomes of an archery hunt. Losing an animal sucks and I am personally happy for the hunter to have a recovery, but I would have left it as a gnarly euro because that is more of the story.

A couple of thoughts.

I don't know if they guy took a bad shot or not. However, clipping a branch is something that could unexpectedly happen to anyone, and to say otherwise only means you're full of shit.

I'm impressed the guy didn't go back out and shoot another bull. Or multiple bulls. It's certainly happened.

Too much monday morning quarter backing on this one, things happen bow hunting Im glad the guy got his antlers . meat never goes to waste in the mtns its the cycle of life what he does with it is his perogative
I liked the story

I'm saying it's possible that he didn't die in the fall when he was pursuing finding him. Its possible the elk didn't die till the spring or even later than that. In the condition the site looks like, it was clearly dead for 1 plus years. There was a buck here in Wisconsin that kept the same big rack for 3 straight years until it was finally shot. It was found to have an old arrow in its front shoulder and it is hypothesized that the injury is why it didn't ever drop its horns.
Animals don't live for months with an arrow through the guts. That bull died within 1-2 days and happened to die in a shady spot that helped protect the antlers. Probably spent every winter under 3+ ft of snow. Makes you think about how old some chalky sheds you see could really be.

Some sheds and dead heads I have found are in great condition, especially as mentioned if they are in a shady protected area. Others have literally been chewed down the bases by critters, so it's very cool that his bull was in such great shape considering how much time had passed.

As far as the mount goes, I would have collected all of those bleached bones and tried to piece together a full body Euro...😉

Didn't know I'd start such an indepth analysis :ROFLMAO:
Only on hunttalk.
I just thought it was a cool story and that the rack was in exceptionally good shape considering the amount of time that passed. And I especially like that a fellow hunter helped another out. True, it blows that that old bull went off and died like he did, but things do happen. The biggest whitetail I ever shot at happened in a very similar manner, with my arrow hitting a small branch I didn't see. Fortunately, it turned out being a clean miss, but it very well could have ended in the same fashion. I would have also been extremely grateful that a fellow hunter would have the courtesy to help out another. As for getting it mounted, I very rarely get anything mounted and my dad is a taxidermist. I don't begrudge him for having it done though. Happy hunting all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back