Contact house committee on natural resources TODAY!

Oneye

http://www.trcp.org/walk-softly-tweet-loudly/keep-public-lands-in-public-hands#.Vs4SJEVHanP

Email from TRCP:
America’s public lands system is fundamental to our hunting and fishing traditions, and public access to outdoor recreation is an asset to each and every citizen of our country. That’s why we are alarmed that some decision-makers are promoting the idea that America's public lands should be seized by individual states or sold off to private interests.

On Thursday, the House Natural Resources Committee will discuss a handful of bills that could close the gates to your public hunting and fishing areas forever. Two of these bills in particular, Rep. Don Young’s H.R. 3650 and Rep. Raul Labrador’s H.R. 2316, are overt attempts to undermine public land ownership.

Let your lawmakers know that sportsmen will not stand for this or any move to dismantle America’s public lands legacy.

We’ve made it easy: With just a few clicks, you can tweet at members of the committee ahead of this hearing and tell them to reject efforts to seize your public lands.

Also HR4579 introduced by Chris Stewart is also detrimental to public land.

If you would like contact them and tell them to vote no on HR2316, HR3650, and HR4579. Keep our public lands public.
http://www.trcp.org/walk-softly-tweet-loudly/keep-public-lands-in-public-hands#.Vs4SJEVHanP

Last edited:
Do you have better luck contacting the committee or the individual members? I contacted the committee phone number to leave a message and the lady didn't know what to do.

Those bills look to also be referred to the House Ag committee. I sent a message to my rep today since he is on that committee. He's also a part of the Sportsman's caucus, though I'd say they have been very much silent on most things.

A few things I have learned from working on this the past few days:

1) No one in Washington DC gives a crap about our ability to hunt and fish on these public lands. The only thing they want to know about is MONEY and NATIONAL SECURITY. There are lots of ways our natural resources and hunting/fishing relate to money and national security, so feel free to make the connection but don't make it all about "I want to be able to hunt out there." If we take that approach they will think we are more worried about a hobby than national interests.

2) This issue is not even on the radar for many conservation groups, in the South particularly. We need to get on their Facebook pages, or call them, email them, etc., and ask them why they are sitting around letting this happen without being a voice. Doesn't matter if they are a hunting group, just tell them to get involved.

3) There are very few Southerners or Easterners on the House Natural Resources Committee. I was told it would be best to contact the Chair, Representative Bishop of Utah.

4) We need to educate our own representatives and senators, or draw out their official position. Position statements for most Eastern and Southern representatives don't even mention the issue, but you know they have a position. Ask them directly. If they say they do not have an official position, that means they have not heard enough from their constituents. Be vocal.

5) In order of effectiveness: phone calls (particularly if you can get through to the staff member working on the issue), emails, and lastly, letters. A lobbyist friend reminded me that letters have to go through security, so may be delayed up to six weeks. It could be over by then.

I hope this helps.

Good luck to us all.

Just got off the phone with a staff member in Rep. Zinke's office. He said there has been a lot of calls about this today and they all felt the same way as I did.

Just another session of beating up on the Forest Service and department of interior by the same individuals who always do it.

So as someone who isn't completely clear on the political process what happens with these three bills now that they have been heard today?

The Committee will approve or disapprove the bills to be submitted to a vote in the full House. The bills are then put through another vetting process in the Senate, and may proceed to a vote. The bills presented in the Senate may not be exactly the same as the ones passed in the House, so lots of wrangling can occur before the final bill emerges. Once the final bill goes through the House and Senate, it goes to the President, who may sign or veto. If veto, Congress could override by two-thirds vote.

The Committee will approve or disapprove the bills to be submitted to a vote in the full House. The bills are then put through another vetting process in the Senate, and may proceed to a vote. The bills presented in the Senate may not be exactly the same as the ones passed in the House, so lots of wrangling can occur before the final bill emerges. Once the final bill goes through the House and Senate, it goes to the President, who may sign or veto. If veto, Congress could override by two-thirds vote.

Thanks! Here's to hoping these bills don't get a step further.

You are welcome. I watched some of the YouTube footage. Some of the bills discussed seemed innocuous because they were for specific local projects. But the one from Rep. Young of Alaska was the most troubling. He spoke as if his bill was specific to Alaska, but it is not in any way limited to Alaska. No telling where it will go from here.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back