Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Connecting Bino Harness to Backpack

crock239

Recently picked up a marsupial gear bino harness and when I first wore it with my pack, I quickly realized that for me it was not comfortable having the bino harness straps underneath my nice padded backpack shoulder straps, so ...

.... $6 on extra quick clips at local military surplus along w some spare nylon webbing and the bino harness rides on my pack shoulder straps and the original bino harness straps go in top of my pack in case I want to drop the backpack and keep bino harness.

Overall rig:
20190830_171619.jpg

The new top quick connects have a slot in female side so they can clip right onto the shoulder strap webbing.
20190830_171656.jpg

Bottom quick connects just need the male end and looped it directly to the shoulder strap with a short piece of accessory cord:
20190830_171717.jpg

The length here is just right to slip these quick connects through the belt loop on my rangefinder pouch...you can see in top picture.

Overall seems to work pretty well...rides nicely anyway.

I can tell the hunt is almost here as I'm down to tinkering with stuff like this...:p

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking about something like this, do you disconnect the harness straps and carry them elsewhere. I’d didn’t see them in the top pack picture.

I threw the entire original harness staps in the top of my pack so I can get to it easily if I for some reason want to take off my pack (for a stalk etc). I figure If that happens I'll be marking my pack on gps, or eating lunch, etc. So would have plenty of time to switch over....only takes a few seconds anyway and original harness straps weigh very little.

I haven't added to my pack rig the smaller straps that connect directly to the binos, but could do that easily just need to find a smaller quick connect that matches the marsupial gear original ones.

Eberlestock has a kit for connecting their bino harnesses to their packs... A couple D rings worked perfect for connecting to the Metcalf straps, and then there's a longer strap with some elastic that runs down to the hip belt with a clip for attaching to the belt webbing. The only issue with carrying my bino pack attached to my pack straps was it seems to pull the pack straps together and dig into my neck a little bit. Other than that it's great! Running your bottom straps back to the shoulder straps is a great idea though so you can still utilize a range finder pouch.

I have been thinking about how to do this as well... was thinking along those lines too. I like it!!

I did this myself for this season. A few weeks in and I've not needed the original straps. Great move for anyone thinking about it.

The only issue with carrying my bino pack attached to my pack straps was it seems to pull the pack straps together and dig into my neck a little bit. Other than that it's great!
Interesting. Yeah I haven't noticed any impact to the "fit" of the pack straps yet.

I originally picked the marsupial gear bino harness bc of the slim design and direction of top opening...now looking at it I think it's the easiest to adapt to the backpacks this way too (vs FHF or Vortex, etc) since it has the 4 quick connects on the harness straps.
Will see how it works this season and report back or post any additional mods.

Wow, I was dreaming up this exact mod for my Badlands bino harness this weekend. Nice work!

Interesting. Yeah I haven't noticed any impact to the "fit" of the pack straps yet.

I originally picked the marsupial gear bino harness bc of the slim design and direction of top opening...now looking at it I think it's the easiest to adapt to the backpacks this way too (vs FHF or Vortex, etc) since it has the 4 quick connects on the harness straps.
Will see how it works this season and report back or post any additional mods.

The eberle has 4 quick connects too which is nice. It's the scout pack, but still bigger/bulkier than I'd like. Looking into the Kuiu pro now, its got quick connects on the bottom and straps on top that you could thread into an after market buckle.

Post hunt update....yep this rig worked like a champ. Had one or two times I disconnected and just used the original MG harness straps but otherwise kept the bino harness attached to backpack the entire time.

I've been trying to do the same thing, but only with my backpack, model Pacsafe Venturesafe X30 (one from here: https://10luggage.com/best-business-backpacks/), which actually has to be a business model, but I wear it to my travelling trips as well. The most important option for me is comfort. So, if a backpack cannot be comfortable for you, you should change it, in my opinion.

I’m amazed that all the pack or harness companies don‘t have a mod for this, thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back