Concealed carry

I spent a number of years as a LEO firearms instructor. What I have seen with folks is at first they are gung ho to shoot and learn. Then they are to busy to practice and think they got it. These reasons I believe a small revolver WITH A LAZER GRIP is the best option out there. A 38 special with light loads is a good start. Learn how to do reloads in the dark or low light conditions to build confidence. Make practice fun and not to many rounds are needed to stay proficient once the person learns the basics.
A semi auto is a good choice for the person that knows how to handle a pistol. Knows how to identify a malfunction, knows how to clear it under adverse conditions. Knows how to clear a stovepipe jam, a misfire, a failure to feed. Has a strong wrist so as to not cause a fail to eject. The list goes on and on but you get my drift. Start with a revolver and learn it and then go from there.
Dan

Some observations. #1 - where can you find 22 magnum ammo these days? I find all sorts of 17's; but haven't seen 22 mag ammo for years now!

Be careful with small 380's. I carry a Taurus TCP with a Crimson Trace laser on it. That thing HURTS when I shoot it! I would never expose an inexperienced shooter to it as it could turn them off forever. Every shot hurts my hand, but it shoots surprisingly despite the pain!

380's are also made in larger frames. Consider a Glock 43 perhaps. A 38 Special with proper loads in a snubby revolver with grips large enough to hold comfortably is also a good option IMHO.

Since this is for your wife - will she carry it on her person or in a purse? Those are considerations as well. A purse carry could allow for a larger framed gun in 380 that would help with the whole shooting experience. It likely wouldn't be a factor in a real situation with a need, but one must practice to become & stay proficient.

For those that say that a revolver never jams, they have never met my Taurus Model 19 8 shot revolver in 22 magnum. Its darn near impossible to fire 4 shots without a jam. SOmething about the recoil (slight) moving rounds rearward and they hang up near where the center cylinder rod slides across the face behind the cylinder. Its a great little gun, mile recoil, 8 rounds! But a jammamatic! EVERY cylinder has hangups; even tried different ammo, tried leaving it cruddy & dirty; tried spotless clean. Nothing helps; besides selling it!

Some observations. #1 - where can you find 22 magnum ammo these days? I find all sorts of 17's; but haven't seen 22 mag ammo for years now!

Be careful with small 380's. I carry a Taurus TCP with a Crimson Trace laser on it. That thing HURTS when I shoot it! I would never expose an inexperienced shooter to it as it could turn them off forever. Every shot hurts my hand, but it shoots surprisingly despite the pain!

380's are also made in larger frames. Consider a Glock 43 perhaps. A 38 Special with proper loads in a snubby revolver with grips large enough to hold comfortably is also a good option IMHO.

Since this is for your wife - will she carry it on her person or in a purse? Those are considerations as well. A purse carry could allow for a larger framed gun in 380 that would help with the whole shooting experience. It likely wouldn't be a factor in a real situation with a need, but one must practice to become & stay proficient.

For those that say that a revolver never jams, they have never met my Taurus Model 19 8 shot revolver in 22 magnum. Its darn near impossible to fire 4 shots without a jam. SOmething about the recoil (slight) moving rounds rearward and they hang up near where the center cylinder rod slides across the face behind the cylinder. Its a great little gun, mile recoil, 8 rounds! But a jammamatic! EVERY cylinder has hangups; even tried different ammo, tried leaving it cruddy & dirty; tried spotless clean. Nothing helps; besides selling it!

I'd pay someone to take it.;)

Amen to the 38 sp snubby.

A firearm that jams is NOT a firearm to carry for self defense. Remember there is " NO SECOND PLACE" in a gun fight. You need 100% reliability !!!! Accept no less.
Dan

I agree 100% with this. In a moment of panic is a person who does not shoot or practice much going to remember to pull the slide back on a semi-auto pistol? Hopefully they won't be walking around with a round in the chamber. What if it jams?
A double action revolver will always fire when the trigger is pulled.

ummmm, no disrespect intended here, but no round in chamber? Why carry then? If you can't safely carry with a chambered round you shouldn't be carrying IMHO (yes, I realize safeties are mechanical making failure plausible)

Dan O...
Very very good point on the ability to identifi and clear a malfunction in an auto, a concideration I had not even thought about as a factor in selecting a carry weapon for an average citizen.
I'm also an LEO handgun/shotgun instructor and other than the bi annual qualifier I ALWAYS include dummy rounds in ANY live fire training, and I can only count a few officers who practice failure drills the rest only practice them because I force it. I don't teach for the Utah concealed carry perment for reasons that are my own but feed back that I've got from those I know that have been threw the class, has me to believe this subject in almost never covered.
As far as the snuby .38 is concerned. What are the opinions out there for standard pressure self defense Ammo?
Curvebow......I guess I'm lucky to find 22 mag Ammo locally, I've not seen hunting/plinking Ammo in years but I've always been able to find hornady and gold dots at my favorite local shop in town. I guess that's not common in other areas, understandable and unfortunate.

Dan O...
Very very good point on the ability to identifi and clear a malfunction in an auto, a concideration I had not even thought about as a factor in selecting a carry weapon for an average citizen.
I'm also an LEO handgun/shotgun instructor and other than the bi annual qualifier I ALWAYS include dummy rounds in ANY live fire training, and I can only count a few officers who practice failure drills the rest only practice them because I force it. I don't teach for the Utah concealed carry perment for reasons that are my own but feed back that I've got from those I know that have been threw the class, has me to believe this subject in almost never covered.
As far as the snuby .38 is concerned. What are the opinions out there for standard pressure self defense Ammo?
Curvebow......I guess I'm lucky to find 22 mag Ammo locally, I've not seen hunting/plinking Ammo in years but I've always been able to find hornady and gold dots at my favorite local shop in town. I guess that's not common in other areas, understandable and unfortunate.

Airborne you are right in practicing the dummy round drills. Tap and rack drills are very good. They also help show a flinch to the shooter. I found you can tell them to squeeze and not jerk till your blue in the face, Show them and the point gets across to them. Video is also a great training tool.
Wow which load to use. The 158 swc hollow point is a old time standard, 125 grain jacketed HP gold dot. There are some good ones out there but they are expensive. Seems each year a couple of new designs come out and get great reviews. I think it's just marketing but that's me. Find something that is accurate, dependable with low muzzle flash especially with a 2 inch revolver. I think every new shooter should try their loads at night. Will it cause night blindness from the muzzle flash. At least know what to expect. A great example is 38 spec vs 357 mag. Its a huge difference and may surprise some folks.
The main thing is if your going to carry, practice on a regular basis it's that important.
Dan

Dan O
It does help me and the officer identify flinch, absolutely. But I find the majority of officers STILL won't practice enuf dry fire and other drills to over come the very common flinch. So I believe the majority of ccp holders as well WONT practice the basic skills nesesary to effectively employ a firearm in self defense.
To many people falsely believe a firearm is a get to go home alive card.
As far as Ammo choice for the 38. Or any caliber for that mater, I have my opinions but they are simply that. When I'm asked my opinion I always say to get name brand, self defense specific quality ammunition and if you can find Ammo that is specifically for short barrel revolvers and that's what you carry then all the better.

I would never suggest a rimfire for self defense, solely due to reliability.

This +100. I'm in love with 22 WMR, have 2 rifles, 2 revolvers, and a PMR30. No way would I ever carry one for self defense. Are you willing to risk 1 out of 100 rounds being a misfire? I'm not..

I just have never experienced any amount of miss fires in mag Ammo, LR for sure but not the magnum. Maybe I'm just lucky. Not sure.

Went looking for my wife a carry gun today and instead bought myself a S&W M&P Shield 9MM. Going tomorrow to look again for something for her.

you will not be disappointed with the shield in 9mm. A lot of us carry and quilify with them. The safety is useless. I've heard there is an aftermarket safety but not looked into it or know anyone who has one. The only thing I like about the safety is to use it when I have to shove it in a glove box or something in a hurry, but for my normal carry of that gun it goes in a galco King tuck (love that holster with the shield) safety off. Some of the guys have higher qual scores with the shield vs duty weapon. Go figure uh.

My carry gun is a walther PPK 380. It shoots good and is easily concealed, though a tad heavy. If I could find a lefty holster I like I'd carry my m&p shield from time to time.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back