Concealed Carry Pistol ???

What do you fill your G19 with?

When I do high round count classes and general range shooting I use reloaded 115 grain round nose, for carry I use the Speer 124g gold dots. I've had good results from Hornady Tap as well. I have a thousand 124g gold dot bullets though for reloading.

My Wife is working some overtime today, but when she gets home, I am taking her shopping, to check out the Taurus 709 and the S&W MP Shield 9mm, along with a few others.
and I want to check out the S&W MP compact 9mm & 40.
right now the Glock 19,23 26 and 27 are on my list, along with the Springfield XDS, the S&W Shield would be a nice CC gun for me too.

so many choices, I never new buying a gun could be such a pain in the Butt. lol

Kevin

A small side to consider are the options available for the firearms.
One example, holster options:
I really appreciate holsters (esp iwb holsters) designed specifically for the gun.
If looking to refine your gun choices, it may help to check the type of holster you desire for comfort, etc..

Last edited:
Bersa Thunder 380. I like it because it fits well in an in the waistband holster. Some may dis' the 380 but in all reality what is CC truly for,,,, deter a threat, then if necessary put holes in bad guys. As the old adage goes, " I'd rather be missed by a .44 than hit by a .22"

I don't care about extra ammo at all, if I can't kill what I am shooting at with 1 or 2 rounds something is wrong.
The extender I looked at just extends the grip, not the clip capacity, so it would fit my hand a little better.
it seems like the length of the gun would make a big difference, as far as comfort goes ?, like if you were sitting or something like that.
But I will check the 19 & 23 out, it is less than 1" difference in length.

Kevin

Lots of evidence exists that a good chunk of your rounds aren't going to hit the target. I wouldn't scoff at the idea of carrying more than 1 or 2 rounds, you would be very suprised how unprepared you will feel if you ever have to actually defend yourself with a pistol. ;)

Yes

A small side to consider are the options available for the firearms.
One example, holster options:
I really appreciate holsters (esp iwb holsters) designed specifically for the gun.
If looking to refine your gun choices, it may help to check the type of holster you desire for comfort, etc..

Yes, I am checking on them too, with me being left handed that even complicates the holster choices even more.

Kevin

Ammo

Lots of evidence exists that a good chunk of your rounds aren't going to hit the target. I wouldn't scoff at the idea of carrying more than 1 or 2 rounds, you would be very suprised how unprepared you will feel if you ever have to actually defend yourself with a pistol. ;)

Yes, that is true, and if I was a police officer I would carry 50 to 100 rounds on me, but as a civilian, the odds of me ever having to use a gun is slim, so I think 1 or 2 clips is plenty ?. jmho.

Kevin

Yes, that is true, and if I was a police officer I would carry 50 to 100 rounds on me, but as a civilian, the odds of me ever having to use a gun is slim, so I think 1 or 2 clips is plenty ?. jmho.

Kevin

Sorry, I was joking a bit there. I was refering to the idea that 1 or 2 rounds will be enough to stop a threat. The idea that you will have the same composure in a life or death situation, to calmly put two rounds center-mass is not realistic.

The other wierd thing you will find if you are ever in an actual gunfight is that your brain strarts to prioritize and will turn off alot of your senses, and that pistol that seems loud and scary at the range, sounds like a popcorn fart in the fight. I have watched guys continually peform immediate action drills on their weapon, because they don't realize it is actually firing. The scary thing about this phenomenon is that your fine motor skills go out the window too, so if it isn't drilled in as muscle memory, you won't do it. This is why I wouldn't reccomend anything other than a striker pistol without a safety or a revolver for the average carrier. Most poeple just don't practice enough to master the muscle memory required to reliably operate a 1911 in a fight. If you need proof, Delta force switched from 1911s to Glocks, and they are about as good as it gets.

I would carry two, and if you are shooting a pistol like a G26, carrying a G17 or G19 mag would be a really good choice for the second magazine.

Agree

Sorry, I was joking a bit there. I was refering to the idea that 1 or 2 rounds will be enough to stop a threat. The idea that you will have the same composure in a life or death situation, to calmly put two rounds center-mass is not realistic.

The other wierd thing you will find if you are ever in an actual gunfight is that your brain strarts to prioritize and will turn off alot of your senses, and that pistol that seems loud and scary at the range, sounds like a popcorn fart in the fight. I have watched guys continually peform immediate action drills on their weapon, because they don't realize it is actually firing. The scary thing about this phenomenon is that your fine motor skills go out the window too, so if it isn't drilled in as muscle memory, you won't do it. This is why I wouldn't reccomend anything other than a striker pistol without a safety or a revolver for the average carrier. Most poeple just don't practice enough to master the muscle memory required to reliably operate a 1911 in a fight. If you need proof, Delta force switched from 1911s to Glocks, and they are about as good as it gets.

I would carry two, and if you are shooting a pistol like a G26, carrying a G17 or G19 mag would be a really good choice for the second magazine.

Being left handed like I am, a pistol with a safety is worthless to me, I would be dead before I ever got the safety off, that is why I am a big Glock fan, I have the Glock model 22 now, but it is a little big for a CC gun.
I have been shooting pistols on and off for 53 years, and have always drilled it in my head what I would have to do in a life and death situation.
But I hope that I never have to use it.

Kevin

Last edited:
I'm just going to be picky here; but I can't help but point out the fact that semi-auto handguns do not use clips! What keeps being referred to as a clip is actually a magazine. As responsible gun owners, it's imperative that we use the correct terminologies and not fall into perpetuating the lies and myths of the anti-gun crowd by using incorrect nomenclature ourselves.
So regardless of the handgun of preference, be it a Glock, Springfield, Taurus, Bersa, Colt, S&W, Kel-tech, Ruger, or any other personal choice, remember they all use a magazine!

As responsible gun owners, it's imperative that we use the correct terminologies and not fall into perpetuating the lies and myths of the anti-gun crowd by using incorrect nomenclature ourselves.

You are correct! We should always tell the truth and never perpetrate myths like, ''My Remington 1100 is just like an AR 15''.

Sorry man, I just couldn't resist.:eek:

Yes, that is true, and if I was a police officer I would carry 50 to 100 rounds on me, but as a civilian, the odds of me ever having to use a gun is slim, so I think 1 or 2 clips is plenty ?

Carry at least 1 extra. I generally carry 2 extra mags. If I'm going to be gone for an extended period of time... a few days to a few weeks. I'll carry 2 extra mags full on my person, a replacement mag and an extra box or two of defensive ammo in the car, or in my gear. You can't really have too much ammo on your person.

I talked to my Wife today about looking at some revolvers too. because they are so simple to use, but she is dead set on a semi-auto. and wants S&W MP Shield 9mm, so I will go buy one next week and it will be her Christmas present. she feels that if I teach her how to use it, she can get comfortable with it.
And I already told her, if she is going to carry a gun, that we are going out in the back yard to practice a couple of times a month.
and if for some reason she doesn't like it, I do, so it will be my CC gun. and we will find something different for her.

Kevin

I talked to my Wife today about looking at some revolvers too. because they are so simple to use, but she is dead set on a semi-auto. and wants S&W MP Shield 9mm, so I will go buy one next week and it will be her Christmas present. she feels that if I teach her how to use it, she can get comfortable with it.
And I already told her, if she is going to carry a gun, that we are going out in the back yard to practice a couple of times a month.
and if for some reason she doesn't like it, I do, so it will be my CC gun. and we will find something different for her.

Kevin

Spook, I stand my comment that all semi-autos function in the exact same basic manner, regardless of cosmetics. No hype, no lie, no incorrect terminology.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back