Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Commission meeting

wytex

Anyone watching or there?
Don't have or do Zoom so no watching for me unless there is a link online.
Tomorrow is the big game part I believe?

I forget that executive session is probably private to the commission members, I think anyway.

There were some really good comments made by the public today regarding the need to look at drastically reducing the number of predators. 👍
I think a great place to start would be by reducing the NR hunter predator, 71,000 back down to around 17000 would be a good place to start. I'm sure 71,000 if far over the objective.

What’s stopping the public from reducing them already?

Apparently there are restrictions on the number of bears and cougars that can be taken. For bears I think it was baiting in the spring that was brought up. Maybe you can find a recording of the meeting and listen to it. I think it might also be an option for the WGFD to take out a lot of coyotes.

I think a great place to start would be by reducing the NR hunter predator, 71,000 back down to around 17000 would be a good place to start. I'm sure 71,000 if far over the objective.
I think this is far more of a problem then the coyotes, cougar, bear, etc problem. Anyone trying to say the decrease in game is mostly or even largely due to increased predator population can sell that crap somewhere else. Instead of pointing the finger at the big bad predators I think we should turn that finger around. The amount of type 6 antelope tags the last decade has had a far greater impact then all the predators combined. There were over a thousand type 6 tags in 73 in 2017 last year there was like 200 and that's before this winter now there's none. I guess my long winded point is IMOwe need to do a better job managing our prey populations and managing predators is a fairly small part in that much smaller then managing the ultimate predator us.

Depends on the predator… we basically can do coyotes. But bears, wolves, eagles, cats, all take a chunk…
Wolves in most of the state have no quota, most lion quotas don't fill, we can bait bears, some areas have a 2 lion limit per hunter.

I think anyone claiming WY doesn't hit the predators pretty hard is a joke.

I would like to see spring bear extended 2 weeks, most units never hit mortaility #s anyways. The data has been compliled for years, remove mortailty quota for bears and go strictly seasons like idaho, using data for season dates. With the recent boost in shed hunting i also believe it decreases spring bear harvest as all those extra people in country many bear hunt.
Population problems shouldnt be contributed to predators, do they impact yes but only minor compared to g&f management. I have never understood why have antlerless hunts that start so early in seasons. I dont know if there ever been a study done but i would bet likelyhood of a yearing surviving following winter after its mother was shot. I am guessing its likelyhood of survival would be drastically improved if the doe was shot 1 november compared to 15 august as some units allow with rifles.
Still dont understand how G tags were not reduced and state allowed outfitters(alleged) to influence season dates in H&G. They should have shortened season on front end not back end, clearly not most they can due in region!

Wolves in most of the state have no quota, most lion quotas don't fill, we can bait bears, some areas have a 2 lion limit per hunter.

I think anyone claiming WY doesn't hit the predators pretty hard is a joke.
Kind of where I was going with my question. Folks love to blame predator numbers but yet they don’t do shit about it.

I would like to see spring bear extended 2 weeks, most units never hit mortaility #s anyways. The data has been compliled for years, remove mortailty quota for bears and go strictly seasons like idaho, using data for season dates. With the recent boost in shed hunting i also believe it decreases spring bear harvest as all those extra people in country many bear hunt.
Population problems shouldnt be contributed to predators, do they impact yes but only minor compared to g&f management. I have never understood why have antlerless hunts that start so early in seasons. I dont know if there ever been a study done but i would bet likelyhood of a yearing surviving following winter after its mother was shot. I am guessing its likelyhood of survival would be drastically improved if the doe was shot 1 november compared to 15 august as some units allow with rifles.
Still dont understand how G tags were not reduced and state allowed outfitters(alleged) to influence season dates in H&G. They should have shortened season on front end not back end, clearly not most they can due in region!
Agreed, and when a person does hunt antlerless early, they might want to think about actually sorting through them to find does/cows that don't have calves/fawns. Its not that hard to do if you watch them for a while.

I would be fine if they dropped the early hunts, but one of the reasons they start them in August is because the bowhunters raise a ruckus if there's ANY rifle hunting in September. The other reason is to reduce herds for landowner tolerance.

We've been stopped by the mt lion quota when we have a problem cat. I would like to see trapping of mt lions legal.
Most years the quota is filled by the time a big cat moves in and we start finding dead deer.
I agree we have ample opportunities on most predators though.
Snow made putting a dent in their population rough this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back