Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Comment on Proposed BLM Rule to Allow E-bikes on Non-Motorized Trails

Why would technological methodology mitigation of take advantages not be comparable..semantics?

Last edited:
Then we also should clarify that "Wilderness" (with a capital "W") does not equal "Non-motorized Trails". There's lots of trails currently classified as non-motorized that are on public lands that are not designated as Wilderness Areas. I bring this up not to nit-pick semantics, but to clarify my opinion on the OP issue of "E-bikes on Non-motorized Trails". I do not support e-bikes (or any bikes for that matter) in designated Wilderness Areas. Neither is currently allowed, and I think that policy should continue. I am, however, in favor of e-bikes being allowed on public land trails otherwise open to conventional bikes. I understand and respect that others have different opinions on even that change. Valid arguments can be made on both sides.
Oh boy; a whole bunch of semantics there. The OP was urging comments on e-bikes on non-motorized BLM trails. Example of clear semantics: "I oppose the use of e-bikes on non-motorized BLM roads and trails."

My two cents, probably worth one:

Hello and thank you for your time. I'd like to voice my opinion on the proposed use of e-bikes on non-motorized trails. Due to the threats to wildlife behavior and increased use of sanctuary areas, I emplore you, do not allow this use of our public lands. Studies show that fast, quiet modes of transportation in the woods disturb animals the most. Bikes (especially e-bikes) move quickly and silently, creating the opportunity to surprise an animal. This is potentially dangerous for the person, as that may be a grizzly bear they just surprised, but it also translates to animals moving more often and being more nervous. If animals are moving rather than feeding, their overall health and wellbeing is compromised. Also, some roadless areas provide santuaries for animals to reproduce, give birth, avoid hunting pressure, etc. It is the public's right to access these areas, but we don't need to make it so easy. These are the last bastions of wild space for wild creatures. Lets not spoil them with fat dudes on scooters.

Thanks for reading.

I did a quick search and didn't see this posted yet. Comment period is open now:
https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=BLM-2020-0001-0001

Even though the rule would allow local managers to have the final decision, I would rather just block it nationally. E-bikes are motor bikes and they have plenty of trails open to them. There are all kinds of specifics about which kind of e-bikes would be allowed, but who is going to enforce them? BLM doesn't have the resources to monitor trails and check the wattage on e-bikes. If you can't pedal up a trail, pick an easier trail or get a motor bike and use it on the roads/trails open to motor bikes.

Thank you so much for the link. I agree. Our goal cannot be to supply easy access to everyone everywhere. Where is the line in the BLM statement when the goal is to “enhance access?”

My two favorite hobbies are hunting and mountain biking. They are very different and separate for me. Mountain bikes have there place somewhere along the lines of a horse. E-bikes are just electric motorcycles in the end. I know many people that have them and they fly up the mountain in legal areas. I am okay with that. Yes, they are only “assisted,” which is the argument. How much assistance is okay? A traditional bike does assist, but contains no motor. A horse assists, but has no motor... The easiest line of deviation is motor and non-motor.

I love the idea of rewarding those that work hard, not those that have large sums of money. Good e-bike mountain bikes go for around 10k. The Santa Cruz Heckler can be up around 13.
My vote is NO

I was pig hunting in the Carrizo plain 2 weeks ago. We are walking along the trail about 3 miles into the area. These two yey-hoos on electric bicycles come riding through past us. They were sierra clubber types with cameras wearing man-buns. The whole route we had planned on walking had the friggen bike tracks on it. Any hope of seeing pigs was destroyed. They chased anything that was there away long before we got there. Keep them out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back