E-bike Access?

Do you support allowing e-bikes (electric motor assisted) into non-motorized areas?

• Yes

Votes: 32 14.2%
  • No

Votes: 190 84.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
How have I misunderstood you? You posted what appears to be a form letter to influence readers. Whatā€™s your intent?

Question 1 - No.

Question 2 - I didnā€™t anything about airstrips. Tell me more about why you mention it.

Question 3 - Huh? Yes, e-bikes can be taken off pavementā€¦

Are you just visiting? Please share more details and ask clear questions.
I wrote this article without any specific intention besides playing the guy no one wants at the trail. Just trying to imagine what some people might argue. hypothetical scenarios. I know that there are many contentious issues that are constantly pushed. Agendas are pushed all the time by groups comparing apples to giraffes. Look at Washington bear.

2. I think we can all agree that there are only a few airstrips in wilderness areas. However, this still raises a question: Why is it acceptable to use a motor in an airplane, a helicopter, or a jet boat, but not in ebike? Is this just a historical precedent that we have accepted without questioning? If we want to preserve the wilderness areas as pristine and primitive, we should apply the same standard to all forms of transportation. No motors should be allowed inside designated wilderness bottom line? across the board right?

3. You can explain to me the difference between a moped and an e-bike, since you seem to have a clear distinction in mind.

I am currently visiting (chatting) from Montana, where I was born and bred. Not too sure why that is important. We are all visitors on this land until we end up in a box or a can.

Its nice to see that everyone agrees that motorized roads are acceptable, but trails and off road usage is not.

I was slightly disappointed that no one mentioned the Wilderness Act. which was enacted to recognized the importance of these areas. designating them as forever wilderness, and safeguarding them from these issues. To just let wild places be wild.

Attachments

• OIG2.jpeg
    OIG2.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 9
I wrote this article without any specific intention besides playing the guy no one wants at the trail. Just trying to imagine what some people might argue. hypothetical scenarios. I know that there are many contentious issues that are constantly pushed. Agendas are pushed all the time by groups comparing apples to giraffes. Look at Washington bear.

2. I think we can all agree that there are only a few airstrips in wilderness areas. However, this still raises a question: Why is it acceptable to use a motor in an airplane, a helicopter, or a jet boat, but not in ebike? Is this just a historical precedent that we have accepted without questioning? If we want to preserve the wilderness areas as pristine and primitive, we should apply the same standard to all forms of transportation. No motors should be allowed inside designated wilderness bottom line? across the board right?

3. You can explain to me the difference between a moped and an e-bike, since you seem to have a clear distinction in mind.

I am currently visiting (chatting) from Montana, where I was born and bred. Not too sure why that is important. We are all visitors on this land until we end up in a box or a can.

Its nice to see that everyone agrees that motorized roads are acceptable, but trails and off road usage is not.

I was slightly disappointed that no one mentioned the Wilderness Act. which was enacted to recognized the importance of these areas. designating them as forever wilderness, and safeguarding them from these issues. To just let wild places be wild.

The primary difference is fuel; petrol vs. electricity. Mopeds also produce exhaust during use, e-bikes MAY theoretically produce exhaust while being charged depending on the style of energy production in the area. Iā€™ve never considered it, but what does the average hunter use to charge their bike on a long trip? Solar? Gasoline generator?

The airstrips being left in the FCW and the SBW, was part of the compromise to gain wilderness designation from primitive area designation. If it bothers you so much, there is a process to remove those airstips. Knock yourself out, and report back when you are successful. šŸ˜‰

The airstrips being left in the FCW and the SBW, was part of the compromise to gain wilderness designation from primitive area designation. If it bothers you so much, there is a process to remove those airstips. Knock yourself out, and report back when you are successful. šŸ˜‰
No it doesn't at all. I was just playing the other side. Thank you It was a compromise worth making considering the scrutiny during the time

No it doesn't at all. I was just playing the other side. Thank you It was a compromise worth making considering the scrutiny during the time
Some can play the devil's advocate ("other side") and generate thought provoking lively discussion. Others merely muddle the issue with unclear expressions and don't seem to be sure of what their position may be. At this juncture in the thread and the somewhat negative feedback you have received ... Visiting Hunter, you decide the effect of your discussion as "devil's advocate".

Mtmuley, I agree. Itā€™s a case by case basis. Why donā€™t we lump 4 wheel drive trucks, Saxx performance underwear, crappy tasting goo energy shots, and sliced bread into this discussion? Technically, theyā€™re all technological advancements.
I laugh but itā€™s so true.. šŸ˜‚

My opinions on this issue were altered by things I read on this forum. The ā€œnon motorized means no motorsā€ argument didnā€™t resonate with me because regulations (and signs designating them) are things that can and do change based on changing technologies and circumstances. So I needed to put more consideration toward the underlying reasons for having non-motored trails in the first place, and whether e-bikes violate those reasons. Bottom line for me is that e-bikes put much more people much further back into the backcountry, reducing the remoteness that many of us seek in those places. Some things are worth keeping in a more pristine condition and require effort to obtain.

Hunters are only a small portion of the impact. Recreational riders are the larger issue. So my current position here is to keep designated wilderness as no motors and no wheels, and designated non-motorized as non-motorized inclusive of e-bikes. Thereā€™s plenty of front country , and even some backcountry, trails open to e-bikes.

So it really does happen, on rare occasions, that someoneā€™s mind is changed by an Internet forum šŸ˜œ.

There was another thread with like 3-4 of these pics lol if you know which thread can you tag me in it???

Back