Yeti GOBOX Collection

Comment on Proposed BLM Rule to Allow E-bikes on Non-Motorized Trails

COEngineer

I did a quick search and didn't see this posted yet. Comment period is open now:
https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=BLM-2020-0001-0001

Even though the rule would allow local managers to have the final decision, I would rather just block it nationally. E-bikes are motor bikes and they have plenty of trails open to them. There are all kinds of specifics about which kind of e-bikes would be allowed, but who is going to enforce them? BLM doesn't have the resources to monitor trails and check the wattage on e-bikes. If you can't pedal up a trail, pick an easier trail or get a motor bike and use it on the roads/trails open to motor bikes.

This what I wrote:
As a hunter, I would love to use an ebike. Unfortunately, the damage vehicles, motorcycles, ATV's, UTV's and ebikes make to the ground will only enhance erosion to the trails. As a hunter, I watch animals shy away from not just humans, but humans on motorized vehicles. While the thought and intention of this proposal is good, the long term affect on the landscape and animal behavior will be detrimental. Let's take into account with the current Corona virus, how animals are wondering city's because of the absence of people.

I left my comment too, thanks for the link. Reading through the first page of comments it seems most people are in favor of e-bikes, ugh.

My comment:

No, bad idea that is a handout to E bike manufacturers at the expense of all other trail users. It will negatively impact hikers, human-powered cyclists, equestrians, hunters, anglers: It would do so by easing access to remote nonmotorized areas. That increases traffic on all nonmotorized trails, even the less remote ones, since users start on those to get to the more distant trails

Ebikes can travel much faster on flat and ascending trails than pedal bikes. Those faster speeds impact all other trail users. BLM cannot enforce existing rules on most of its lands in the west, this rule change will add to enforcement burden.

Put in my two bits in the comments, mainly how illogical it is to give a bike powered by an electric motor a pass to use trails designated as non-motorized.

Seems like plenty of comments in favor of them as well. I am sure their lobbyists are working overtime

Very similar to the manufacturers of crossbows driving legislation to make them legal in archery seasons.

Crossbows are not an archery tool, nor are e-bikes bicycles.

Crossbows are rifles, just as e-bikes are motorcycles. Period.

Very similar to the manufacturers of crossbows driving legislation to make them legal in archery seasons.

Crossbows are not an archery tool, nor are e-bikes bicycles.

Crossbows are rifles, just as e-bikes are motorcycles. Period.

Take your scope of your rifle,leave your range finder at home,don't use Onx maps

Take your scope of your rifle,leave your range finder at home,don't use Onx maps
You have no idea how much I wish we could!
Idaho had a few traditional muzzloader seasons back in the good days.
Side pivoting hammer, open sights, loose powder, and round balls.
Best hunting I ever participated in.

Now if I had my old Hawkins while silently zooming down a game trail toward a big muledeer on my new bike I bought with my trumpchange.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, lengthy threads hold valuable information however, the link gets lost.
Regardless the side one takes on the issue, that link is lost within the clutter.

I believe government comment links need their own starter thread. Helpful.

Edit: also opposed to electric motorized bikes on non motorized trails/ closed roads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back