Comment: Domestic sheep/got ban on WDFW property

I wish them luck. WDFW gets heavy pushback against land ownership and management on the east side of the state from local politicians and ranchers. I think if they had their way no piece of grass on WDFW land would get more than an inch tall before something domestic ate it

The key word in that statement is "packgoats." I listened to this specific argument in a FS webinar last fall.

Here are some references related to domestic goats and wild sheep if anyone is interested in the subject.

Besser, T. E., E. F. Cassirer, K. A. Potter, and W. J. Foreyt. 2018. Exposure of bighorn sheep to domestic
goats colonized with Mycoplasma ovipneumoniae induces sub-lethal pneumonia (vol 12, e0178707, 2017). PLoS One 13. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0178707.

Cassirer, E. F., K. R. Manlove, R. K. Plowright, and T. E. Besser. 2017. Evidence for strain-specific
immunity to pneumonia in bighorn sheep. Journal of Wildlife Management 81:133–143. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jwmg.21172

Drew, M. L., and G. C. Weiser. 2017. Potential disease agents in domestic goats and relevance to bighorn
sheep (Ovis canadensis) management. PLoS One 12:e0173396. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0173396

Foreyt, W. J. 1994. Effects of controlled contact exposure between healthy bighorn sheep and llamas,
domestic goats, mountain goats, cattle, domestic sheep, or mouflon sheep. Proceedings of the Biennial Symposium of the Northern Wild Sheep and Goat Council 9:7–14. media.nwsgc.org/proceedings/NWSGC-1994/1994-Foreyt.pdf

Foreyt, W. J., E. J. Jenkins, and G. D. Appleyard. 2009. Transmission of lungworms (Muellerius cappilaris)
from domestic goats to bighorn sheep on common pasture. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 45:272–278. https://doi.org/10.7589/0090-3558-45.2.272

Heinse, L. M., L. H. Hardesty, and R. B. Harris. 2016. Risk of pathogen spillover to bighorn sheep from
domestic sheep and goat flocks on private land. Wildlife Society Bulletin 40:625–633. https://doi.org/10.1002/wsb.718.

Jansen B. D, J. R. Heffelfinger, T. H. Noon, P. R. Krausman, and J. C. deVos, Jr. 2006. Infectious
keratoconjuncivitis in bighorn sheep, Silver Bell Mountains, Arizona, USA. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 42:407–411. https://doi.org/10.7589/0090-3558-42.2.407

Kamath, P. L., K. Manlove, E. F. Cassirer, P. C. Cross, and T. E. Besser. 2019. Genetic structure of
Mycoplasma ovipneumoniae informs pathogen spillover dynamics between domestic and wild Caprinae in the western United States. Scientific Reports 9:15318. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-51444-x

Rudolph, K. M., D. L. Hunter, W. J. Foreyt, E. F. Cassirer, R. B. Rimler, and A. C. S. Ward. 2003. Sharing
of Pasteurella spp. between free-ranging bighorn sheep and feral goats. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 39:897–903. https://doi.org/10.7589/0090-3558-39.4.897

Apparently we are doing this again.

WDFW Logo
WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
1111 Washington St. SE, Olympia, WA 98501
wdfw.wa.gov

Oct. 11, 2022
Joel Sisolak, 360-701-5570
Media contact: Eryn Couch, 360-890-6604

WDFW seeks public comment on proposed rule for domestic sheep and goats on Department-managed lands

Public invited to Dec. 1 virtual public hearing

OLYMPIA – The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is inviting public comment on a proposed rule that would prohibit visitors bringing domestic sheep or goats onto wildlife area units of 12 WDFW-managed wildlife areas.

The proposed rule is intended to reduce the risk the transmission of Mycoplasma ovipneumoniae (Movi), a type of bacteria that causes pneumonia and can be deadly to bighorn sheep.

Past pneumonia outbreaks among bighorn sheep in Washington and other parts of the western United States have been linked to contact between wild sheep and domestic sheep or goats, which carry Movi but are unaffected by the bacteria.

Pneumonia, caused by the Movi bacteria, can also reduce the survival rate of lambs for many years after an initial outbreak. There is no treatment for bighorn sheep, and no preventative vaccine.

The proposed rule would apply to select wildlife area units of Asotin Creek, Chelan, Chief Joseph, Colockum, Columbia Basin, L.T. Murray, Oak Creek, Scotch Creek, Sinlahekin, Wells, Wenas, and W.T. Wooten wildlife areas.

"We want to protect wild sheep while preserving opportunities for people who enjoy hiking and hunting with pack goats," said Joel Sisolak, WDFW lands planning, recreation and outreach section manager. "We are proposing a targeted approach to ensure those opportunities remain available in other parts of the state."

The public is invited to comment on the proposed rule by submitting written comments at publicinput.com/SheepAndGoats102, via email, or by mail to WDFW's Wildlife Program: PO Box 43200, Olympia, WA 98504. WDFW will accept comments until 11:59 p.m. Nov. 30.

The public is also invited to attend a virtual hearing, scheduled for 3 to 4:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 1, in which WDFW Director Kelly Susewind will hear feedback and decide on the proposed rule. Respondents who wish to have their comments incorporated into the Dec. 1 meeting presentation should submit their comments by 8 a.m. Nov. 23.

All members of the public are invited to share their diverse perspectives and participate in WDFW public feedback opportunities regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, language proficiency, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, or basis of disability.

More information about the proposed rule is available at wdfw.wa.gov/about/regulations/development.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife works to preserve, protect and perpetuate fish, wildlife and ecosystems while providing sustainable fish and wildlife recreational and commercial opportunities.

No, that's what we are trying to prevent.
So it has never happened What's next llamas, horses maybe if they are that sensitive they should be back on the endangered species list and there shouldn't be a hunting season for them at all so we can protect them correctly. I am all for regulations if it is in fact helping change something but to just allow government to make more regulations based on what if doesn't make sense.

The large grazing herds of sheep and goats I get but small groups of packgoats don't make sense to me fyi I am a horse guy. I just see all this as a pathway to more restrictions

You know what I'd like to see? I'd like to see some pack goat guys and gals, instead of bitching about more regulations, say, "you know what? We think it's important to protect wild sheep as well! Let's all sit down together and develop a testing and certification program for using our pack goats in bighorn sheep habitat. We will make sure our goats aren't carrying pathogens of concern before we pack into those areas. We will test annually and keep our certifications up to date. Because we know how much cheaper it is to test small groups of pack goats each year than it is to restore a wild sheep herd after a die-off."

You know what I'd like to see? I'd like to see some pack goat guys and gals, instead of bitching about more regulations, say, "you know what? We think it's important to protect wild sheep as well! Let's all sit down together and develop a testing and certification program for using our pack goats in bighorn sheep habitat. We will make sure our goats aren't carrying pathogens of concern before we pack into those areas. We will test annually and keep our certifications up to date. Because we know how much cheaper it is to test small groups of pack goats each year than it is to restore a wild sheep herd after a die-off."
If only.

Way to think long game.
Yup llamas are next then end hunting for sheep. Washington just suspended the spring bear hunt sheep will be a walk in the park to get suspended. Figure about 2000 sheep get killed a year in the us by hunters so over ten years 20000 sheep get saved that's really thinking about protecting wild sheep.

a pack goat ban on wintering grounds that never has packgoats on it when the sheep are there. It's like most stuff you see goverments doing hey look we did something even though it does nothing.

I see where you’re going. I agree. But I can see how it compares to the “don’t Buffalo me” ideal.. if there hasn’t been any issues why make issues now. I get it.. but thinking about the long game, and the 7P’s, we have to take a preventative measure, at the lesser of two evils. If that means annual certification big WHUP

I see where you’re going. I agree. But I can see how it compares to the “don’t Buffalo me” ideal.. if there hasn’t been any issues why make issues now. I get it.. but thinking about the long game, and the 7P’s, we have to take a preventative measure, at the lesser of two evils. If that means annual certification big WHUP
Yeah I agree but I don't think when ever these things pop up it is even mentioned it just goes to instant ban them. I have to get my horses a health certificate and they have to have a current Coggins to leave the state or travel through areas and there should be something similiar to that. What? I don't know I am NOT a goat packer I just see this as a pathway for more bans

Comment sent again though curious, who did you reach out to - to invite for a round table conversation? What was the response?

Back