Colorodo Sheep Record ?

Thats a nice ram, and I believe it scores 183 (if its on the net its gotta be true) but it sure doesn't look 183. The tag deal is a little weird, but there are instances where you can draw a tag for a certain area and for a certain ram in that area. If you see his cousin, fire away Moosie!

I'd say it scores about what they claim. Look at how far the horns drop, its also heavy.

As to 4th in the world with a bow??? I dont know about that, I know theres been several killed with arrows in MT that score in the 180's.

I'm sure its a game and fish tag. I've seen some in MT with tags and radio collars.

They typically put tags in any they transplant.

Oak would know...

Usually that means they've been transplanted , they can run around the hills for years with those tags . The dept. of wildlife can tell him when and where it was tagged and all that stuff , e-mail the guy and find out Moosie , maybe when he gets back down to earth he'll share the story with us .
That is a gorgeous ram !
I'm goin scoutin for desserts this weekend , can't wait to glass some big rams , there's just something about big rams that gets under your skin !
Magnificent animals .

One thing is for sure it's going to shrink a little. They said P&Y scored it but it still needs to dry for 60 days. I have heard that it will shrink around 2-3" in that time frame. So it may not stay around 4th in the world.

I have seen a few sheep with tags in their ears. I also believe it has to do with the transplants or some type of study on the sheep.

Later,

This ram was most likely killed in unit 34 here in CO, which is right outside of Colorado Springs. (I can tell why I think this, but it is a long story)

The ram was probably tagged as a lamb, so the DOW can keep track of it. There are other sheep in the Rampart Range herd (unit 34) with ear tags too.

The sheep I took in 2000' had an ear tag and a radio collar. No, I didn't track him by his collar, it was dead. My sheep had been tagged as a lamb and had migrated about 40 miles from where he was tagged to where I shot him.

Hey "Desert",

Is the sheep you are talking about the one in your profile? Is that a desert?

The country in your pic looks familiar, so I was curious. Wifey got her desert here in CO last year. Down in the country around where I live.

Buckspy has a desert tag there this year.

bluehair,

The sheep in my profile is the one that had the ear tag and collar. It is my Rocky mountain bighorn from 2000 in unit 60. I got my desert ram in Unit 56 back in 95'.

f776d71e.jpg

Ear tags are very, very common on sheep in many of the Colorado units. Transplanted sheep, inoculated sheep or any study sheep have tags. Doesnt quite look like a 183 sheep but I believe it was officially prescored so it probably is

Back