Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Colorado wolf bill, something new i promise

I wonder if Senator Kerry Donovan (D-Vail, CO)'s donors know about this...

"It says:
  • The reintroduction will begin by Dec. 31, 2025, unless there is a self-sustaining population of gray wolves already in Colorado.
  • Commercial livestock owners are entitled to payment for damages caused by the wolves.
  • The reintroduction will be postponed until a new revenue source for those payments is found.
  • The commission should adopt and periodically update a plan to reintroduce, recover and manage the gray wolf population using scientific data and public feedback.
  • That plan should not impose resource-restrictions on landowners.
  • The commission should organize a group to study the estimated damages gray wolves are likely to cause and how to finance those damages. "

Hopefully that passes and makes the ballot box initiative a non issue. There are enough outs in that bill to give Cpw the control to do what is needed. If I wasn’t worried the ballot box would pass I wouldn’t like the bill, but there are thousands of people moving to the Denver metro area, 2nd fastest growth in the US. Lots of people that believe the wolf “Yellowstone” hype.

Hopefully that passes and makes the ballot box initiative a non issue. There are enough outs in that bill to give Cpw the control to do what is needed. If I wasn’t worried the ballot box would pass I wouldn’t like the bill, but there are thousands of people moving to the Denver metro area, 2nd fastest growth in the US. Lots of people that believe the wolf “Yellowstone” hype.
Pretty much what I was thinking.

Lots of people that believe the wolf “Yellowstone” hype.
Show of hands who here is ready to punch the next person who tells them all about “how the wolves saved the rivers in Yellowstone” in the face.

Dammit Janice it was a viral video, we all f-ing saw it, stop pretending like you’re teaching an ecology class and just got back from your post-doc in the park.

This bill seems like a far more tempered approach which may appeal to folks on the fence about this issue. Lots of folks always bitching about no middle ground. This bill seems like middle ground.

She's got a diverse district to represent. Looking at the counties in her district, the money is mostly rolling in from 2. I would think this approach would piss off most of the folks in her district. The mountain resort crowd will absolutely be in favor of reintroduction, right now. The more rural folks, not so much, if at all.

I find it interesting that she picked up on this facet. "The reintroduction will be postponed until a new revenue source for those payments is found." The ballot measure states that livestock reimbursement would come from CPW cash fund, which I believe is funded primarily by sportsmans dollars. I think that's absolutely by design. This provision deescalates that aspect of wolf management a little bit.

The fact that this legislator is from a region likely to be more impacted by wolves than the Front F-ing Range where those likely to vote for the reintro bill live, is a +. I can see such legislation being opposed for yielding too much to wolves by those most strongly opposed, and opposed by those most rabidly in favor of reintro. Wouldn't it be ironic if it became in the state's interest to keep a token herd of wolves content in a far corner of the state?

The more attention paid to this issue, the more options before the voters and legislators, the better chance reintro won't pass on Nov's ballot. I still believe it can be defeated.

She doesn’t really fit the hunting forum Democrat stereotype. I think that if you read a couple of articles about her not knowing who she is or what she does, you would have a difficult time discerning her political affiliation. Clearly you could read articles about other topics and have no doubt, but you get the point.

Eating under the open sky in the Vail Valley

Kerry Donovan will stay on the ranch and in the Capitol, because Congress can wait
Dont you wish you could say the same about all politicians? Refreshing

Reviewing her Ballotpedia record... could use a few more D's of this nature.
"The current law passed by Denver limiting high-capacity magazines is unenforceable and I would not have supported it. I believe that gun owners will exercise personal responsibility and discretion in the interest of public safety when selling their weapons and will work to make sure that background checks help and do not hinder that process. But I do support making sure that convicted criminals or the mentally ill cannot get guns."

Rob Edwards with the Rocky Mountain Wolf Action Fund said they are happy to discuss compensation plans and proactive measures ranchers can take to prevent predation of livestock.
“What is not acceptable is delaying reintroduction until everything is worked out,” Edwards said. “We already have this scoped out to the end of 2023. There is plenty of time for everybody to figure out how to do this. We don’t need a delay beyond that.”

Says the kind of folks who’d sue to delay delisting for a decade or so when given the chance. 🙄🙄🙄

I wonder if Senator Kerry Donovan (D-Vail, CO)'s donors know about this...

"It says:
  • The reintroduction will begin by Dec. 31, 2025, unless there is a self-sustaining population of gray wolves already in Colorado.
They probably already began the reintroduction and that statement is just the back up plan in case it gets voted down. I wonder how many satisfies the “self-sustaining” quota.

Show of hands who here is ready to punch the next person who tells them all about “how the wolves saved the rivers in Yellowstone” in the face.

Dammit Janice it was a viral video, we all f-ing saw it, stop pretending like you’re teaching an ecology class and just got back from your post-doc in the park.
Have you been frequenting the same facebook photography forums I have....

Do any of these bills state where the wolves will come from when they are stocked? Do Colorado officials have to get permission from the feds to transport them across state lines or import them from Canada?

Do any of these bills state where the wolves will come from when they are stocked? Do Colorado officials have to get permission from the feds to transport them across state lines or import them from Canada?

That’s a great point, I don’t think it is lined out in the bill and I don’t remember seeing it in the ballot box initiative stuff but I may be wrong. I would assume it all needs to go through fed being on the endangered list.

I believe there was a section referring to a PhD. Moreau providing the wolves.

I’m not in Colorado, but I imagine this would be a bit more palatable if the folks pushing it were providing a funding source.
“We have raised x million dollars and would like you to force CPW to spend it for us on wolves”
Is a lot different than “I want this and I want a minority of people that I don’t belong to, that already pays for everything else wildlife related, to pay for this”

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back