Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Colorado vs Idaho for OTC elk: the final answer

All the wolves ate the elk in both states. You should go to Virginia and kill an elks worth of whitetail deer. Muhahahah success rates would probably be higher. Either state has similar issues otc

Idaho has 120,000 elk. Colorado has 263,000 elk. Elk have made a huge rebound in Idaho. Apparently the number one main predator of elk calves and elk in general is the cougar according to IFG. Mule deer took a hit again this winter and many fawns were lost to it. WTs in the North half fairing well however. I’d go to Idaho to hunt with those numbers. Always wanted to get back into the Frank Church.

Im still trying to decipher how the crowds are gonna be for OTC this year. Part of me says down because some people wont have the budget for a tag due to being out of work from the COVID , but the other part of me says if this COVID blows over then people who were nervous to apply for a drawing are gonna be chomping at the bit to get a last minute tag.

I believe I recall seeing a post from Colorado Parks and Wildlife that application numbers were actually up this year, so I don’t think your second part will be a factor. Being out of work or travel restrictions could reduce hunter numbers, but based on the high application numbers, I’m guessing we don’t notice much of a difference in either direction.

I'm not sure if it's any indication but the lakes and fishing spots seem to be slightly more crowded than normal.

Any free pull offs with a place to put a tent have been taken, with established campgrounds closed.

I believe I recall seeing a post from Colorado Parks and Wildlife that application numbers were actually up this year, so I don’t think your second part will be a factor. Being out of work or travel restrictions could reduce hunter numbers, but based on the high application numbers, I’m guessing we don’t notice much of a difference in either direction.
Do you have a link to that post?

I’ll wager a lot of people just bought a point only. I expect to see a 30% drop in all big game States this year.

Im still trying to decipher how the crowds are gonna be for OTC this year. Part of me says down because some people wont have the budget for a tag due to being out of work from the COVID , but the other part of me says if this COVID blows over then people who were nervous to apply for a drawing are gonna be chomping at the bit to get a last minute tag.
For what it's worth turkey season was more crowded in the spot I hunt, ie, I have never seen a person there before during turkey season.
Literally, 8 years not a single turkey hunter.

This year I saw 1 or 2 turkey hunters a day, and a steady stream of hikers, bikers, dog walkers etc.

Who knows what the fall will bring 🤷‍♂️

Thanks, I guess we should have seen that coming. Sigh.
There were just over 10,000 additional elk applications this year compared to last but there was also an additional 8785 limited archery licenses added to the quota for this year due to the fact that 16 units aren’t OTC archery anymore. I’m not saying that accounts for the entire increase but I suspect it is at least a part of it. The below attachment is the proposed quota numbers. It was posted elsewhere by @Pelican

I wonder if spring gobbler and trout seasons are busy due to folks being off work?
and if fall will have lass pressure when folks are back at work catching up on bills

There were just over 10,000 additional elk applications this year compared to last but there was also an additional 8785 limited archery licenses added to the quota for this year due to the fact that 16 units aren’t OTC archery anymore. I’m not saying that accounts for the entire increase but I suspect it is at least a part of it. The below attachment is the proposed quota numbers. It was posted elsewhere by @Pelican

Did you see the elk totals... they reduced quotas in a lot of units. Could be a rough year for people getting tags.

Did you see the elk totals... they reduced quotas in a lot of units. Could be a rough year for people getting tags.
Yea might be tough. It seems like they reduced muzzleloader and rifle in some way across the entire state. I would say with the increase in applications and reduction in overall quota Colorado is Only gaining more and more preference point holders due to unsuccessful applicants.

Yea might be tough. It seems like they reduced muzzleloader and rifle in some way across the entire state. I would say with the increase in applications and reduction in overall quota Colorado is Only gaining more and more preference point holders due to unsuccessful applicants.

Agreed. Looks like they cut a significant number of cow tags as well, which is strange as seemingly the herd state wide has been "over objective" the last 2 years and their goal is to reduce it. I need to do a deeper dive... but that jumped out to me as strange.

The fact that you can get a cow, a limited entry bull, and a pref point in the same year seems pretty ridiculous to me. I mean if that's what everyone wants, cool, but there's you point creep problem right there.

How many only put in for pp tho do to the downturn and joblessness?

For what it's worth turkey season was more crowded in the spot I hunt, ie, I have never seen a person there before during turkey season.
Literally, 8 years not a single turkey hunter.

This year I saw 1 or 2 turkey hunters a day, and a steady stream of hikers, bikers, dog walkers etc.

Who knows what the fall will bring 🤷‍♂️

It's always funny for me when turkey hunting running into hikers as many don't know its turkey season and are surprised to see someone with a shotgun hiking around. I definitely noticed an increased ATV presence with 20 trucks jammed into the one lot.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back