Colorado unit 74 elk—after the fire???

Bjcoyne

Has anyone been over to unit 74 since the 416 fire? I’m eye balling there and unit 78 for a late September archery elk solo hunt. I’ve e-scouted it to death but haven’t found much data on if the elk have moved back in since the fire. Figured I’d ask the team here before bothering the Rangers up in Durango.

I successfully killed my first bull elk in Montana in an old burn but never hunted anywhere so recently torched. Any info would be great!

I spoke with the cpw folks in that area and they said it was super green from all the rain. Didn't ask if there were elk there but I'd imagine it will get a lot of use by the wildlife.

When I spoke to the forest service people last August the burn was in the process of being aerial seeded. That was when it was still off limits to enter at all. Probably an abundance of feed so I’m sure the elk will be there. I have hunted it in the past and may check it again this year.

I live right across 550 from the fire. As predicted, it’s a giant s&$tshow back there already. I will be hunting other units this year. Every person and their mom is already or will be hunting there and pushing any elk out of the state.
If you didn’t get it done this morning,
Better start scrambling for a new unit💔
Or at least another area within the unit

I live right across 550 from the fire. As predicted, it’s a giant s&$tshow back there already. I will be hunting other units this year. Every person and their mom is already or will be hunting there and pushing any elk out of the state.
If you didn’t get it done this morning,
Better start scrambling for a new unit💔
Or at least another area within the unit
That bad huh? I won’t be out there for another few weeks. With public land and an otc tag I’m expecting to see more people than elk. Thanks for the insight.

It’s just gotten so much press with the fire and there is hwy 550 running through the middle of it. Lots of access and low calf recruitment has done its damage around here. Not to mention the “other” user groups all over the forest.
Saying all that, it’s a big unit, there are other spots. Let the other hunters push the elk to you.

Update 2020: the unit (74) is DRY with no water. No summer rains and a mediocre winter snow has the animals pushed out of there towards more water sources. Plus, record heat temperatures in the area too. Elk might be in telluride but there has to be water there. Streams were dry and hardly no wallows to be found. Hopefully, y’all that hunt the rut will have better luck but lots of hunting pressure in the area as well. Heat, no water, and lots of people equals no wildlife in the area. Just an update from opening archery 2020 elk and deer season.
I always wanted to hunt this area but I learned a valuable lesson to watch annual winter snowfall, spring rain, and summer rain/temperatures to really see the potential that a unit can carry for fall hunting. This unit got the bad trifecta of a a hunter’s worst nightmare. Anyways, I hope y’all have better luck during the rut into winter. 😃👍🏻

Update 2020: the unit (74) is DRY with no water. No summer rains and a mediocre winter snow has the animals pushed out of there towards more water sources. Plus, record heat temperatures in the area too. Elk might be in telluride but there has to be water there. Streams were dry and hardly no wallows to be found. Hopefully, y’all that hunt the rut will have better luck but lots of hunting pressure in the area as well. Heat, no water, and lots of people equals no wildlife in the area. Just an update from opening archery 2020 elk and deer season.
I always wanted to hunt this area but I learned a valuable lesson to watch annual winter snowfall, spring rain, and summer rain/temperatures to really see the potential that a unit can carry for fall hunting. This unit got the bad trifecta of a a hunter’s worst nightmare. Anyways, I hope y’all have better luck during the rut into winter. 😃👍🏻
Now that unit 74 is no longer OTC just like the rest of SW Colorado you are stuck in that unit to use your tag instead of relocating across the state. Hopefully you can find elk at some point.

Agreed. I was in 74 the last four days. Very little water. Some elk sign at 9600 feet up on a saddle. We had 4 returned bugles a ridge over. We didn’t have the water to make immediate pursuit and had to walk 2 miles for water. In summary and agreement with tnywragge....bring extra water. Good luck hunting.

Now that unit 74 is no longer OTC just like the rest of SW Colorado you are stuck in that unit to use your tag instead of relocating across the state. Hopefully you can find elk at some point.
It looks a little bleak for me this elk season. I’m thinking about going back in a few weeks when temperatures drop but with as many hunters as I saw in and out of the trails, pressure on the elk is guaranteed to blow them anywhere. Not entirely sure what I’m going to do yet lol! Luckily white tails season is in November lol! 😃👍🏻

Btw: to a public land hunter that decided to hike in late at night and camp next to the elk herd (supposedly above them) and then stalk the herd from above in the morning before the sun rose; you either have no concept of thermals or you intended to push the elk out of that basin......then you hiked out telling everyone that the herd was in there and they spooked and took off....really?!?! Lol! 👍🏻 Good job!

I’d like to think that I should have taken my points in Colorado this year and passed on the 2nd draw but hey! I got to go hunting elk, learned lots about picking units in the future, and learned a different unit to hunt one day maybe in the future. So, it’s not all bad, just costly 😉💰💰💰. Better luck to everyone else. Be safe and enjoy! 😃👍🏻 Just a thought: I’m definitely going to be looking at the moon phases for next year during archery in CO and checking weather reports monthly. Lots to research and consider in the future.

Rode the high country this weekend, very dry and hot. Yesterday and today rain and snow above 9,000 and temps in the 40's so everything has changed a lot, welcome to the rocky mountains! The cold just might kick the bulls into the rut and talking a bit more, and the wet should quiet the woods down some. The moon phase certainly hurt the first few weeks with activity at night and elk heading for the dark timber by morning. Just getting better.

Rode the high country this weekend, very dry and hot. Yesterday and today rain and snow above 9,000 and temps in the 40's so everything has changed a lot, welcome to the rocky mountains! The cold just might kick the bulls into the rut and talking a bit more, and the wet should quiet the woods down some. The moon phase certainly hurt the first few weeks with activity at night and elk heading for the dark timber by morning. Just getting better.
That’s positive.😃👍🏻 I thought a good rain/snow would help push the rut along plus the moon phase changing. Hunting pressure is probably gonna be the biggest factor in pushing elk around in that unit. I definitely think people are gonna have success in the end but the number probably are gonna be lower than typical average seasons of moderately conservative rainfall and temps. Muzzloader season will have them moving around for sure. I’m thinking about going back next week l. The big question is whether or not the elk go back to their summer ranges or stay down around 7-8kft to start winter ranges.?.?.? Who knows? 😉lol! That’s hunting 😃👍🏻 I wish y’all the best. Hopefully the wallows make it back in the high country and the rut gets going; considering that the best food plots are up there as well and don’t stifle from the cold weather. Stay safe, have fun, and go get em! 😃👍🏻

Im headed into 74 at the end of the week. I called the Durango office of Parks and Wildlife but the person that I got was not very knowledgeable of the access in the area. Anyone local or really well versed in the unit that I can ask some questions? Shoot me a DM please.

Weather has moved some elk, not as much pressure now that we are past the long weekend. I would hunt Chicken Creek or the back side of Purgatory rather than the Hermosa drainage with the burn area having gotten pretty thick with oak brush. work the ridge line and glass they will be hard to get to with alot of vertical but less competition if you are in shape for it. Have herd some bugling down in the valley so the rut is getting started. Good Luck!

Weather has moved some elk, not as much pressure now that we are past the long weekend. I would hunt Chicken Creek or the back side of Purgatory rather than the Hermosa drainage with the burn area having gotten pretty thick with oak brush. work the ridge line and glass they will be hard to get to with alot of vertical but less competition if you are in shape for it. Have herd some bugling down in the valley so the rut is getting started. Good Luck!
Hi Mike,

I’ve got a buck tag for third season. I’ve hunted Glade mountain over in 711 for 20years so this is new area.

Looks like it’s been dry and hot since sept. We are staying in purgatory. Hunting around Hermosa mountain there abouts.

How’s 74 up around Purgatory looking for deer for 3rd season. Hunted 711 for 20+ years on Glade and trying this unit out. We have cow tags also.

Hi Mike,

I’ve got a buck tag for third season. I’ve hunted Glade mountain over in 711 for 20years so this is new area.

Looks like it’s been dry and hot since sept. We are staying in purgatory. Hunting around Hermosa mountain there abouts.
Still no rain, colder mornings with frost at 7,000 where we live, it will be brisk at 10,000. My pet 4x4 shows up about every 3td morning in the lower pasture in the valley (not a shooter yet, just 2-3). Looking at the longer forecast it still looks pretty dry and colder. If any problems come up send my an email as we have been here since 94 and have some good connections.

Still no rain, colder mornings with frost at 7,000 where we live, it will be brisk at 10,000. My pet 4x4 shows up about every 3td morning in the lower pasture in the valley (not a shooter yet, just 2-3). Looking at the longer forecast it still looks pretty dry and colder. If any problems come up send my an email as we have been here since 94 and have some good connections.
Thanks, I will.

We’ve got a buddy that gonna help us who was raised in Durango. If he can get away from pipelining lol. If he can’t get off work we will do our best. Coming Monday before season to scout. I’m a Deputy Sheriff and Cattle Rancher in west Texas. Take care and thanks

Back