Colorado Unit 63 3rd rifle deer

sambo3006

Hi guys.
I decided to burn my 9 deer points this year on Colorado Unit 63 3rd rifle. The decision was based on the later date and that this year’s hunt will coincide with my available vacation time. The dates for the next couple of years wouldn’t work.
I plan on arriving 3 days before the hunt from Missouri to familiarize myself with the public land boundaries and hopefully find a few bucks. I’d love to get a big one but I don’t plan on holding out until the last few hours to fill my tag. I’ve hunted 62 multiple times but not 63.
If anyone would like to do a meet and greet or has some pointers to share I’d really appreciate it.
If you don’t want to share publicly, feel free to send me a private message.
Thanks!
Sam
PS: I also posted this on monstermuleys in case anybody sees it there. 🙂

Seems like a lot of points for that tag? I think it took 5 last yr to draw. I don’t think this would be a bad hunt though. Good bit of blm lower elevation stuff in pretty good deer looking country

I've hunted it 3rd rifle, and I would not spend points on it unless you have private access. Deer get to private by these later dates and the public land is 100% road accessible for trucks. Another mirage type unit.

Thanks for the replies guys!
5 points was about a 50% draw last year.
I’m getting out of the CO points game. No way I’ll ever draw a high quality tag. I’ll be there for the whole hunt, so I might catch a decent buck on public land. When the rut is on you never know. If I end up shooting a small buck later in the hunt I’ll be happy with it. I haven’t shot a mule deer in 5 years.

That's great tag to have. Congrats. I've hunted the Eastern part of 63 a few times, but 30 years ago or so, always on BLM land. I did have good success there and took bucks in 3 consecutive years. Seems it was not a highly sought after tag back then, nor a heavily hunted area.

Thanks!
I did draw the tag. It drew out at the same level it did last year, but there were a few others that burned more points than I did.
As stated previously, I’ll be out there 3 days prior to the start to scout and learn the terrain. I’m not expecting a 180”. I just hope to see some rutting bucks and maybe get a crack at a 4.5 year old 4x4. But if I see a big old pot bellied, no neck, white faced buck, actual antler score may go out the window.
If I don’t find an older buck, I’ll happily hang my tag on a lesser one. I’m just looking forward to hunting mule deer in the rut.

Thanks!
I did draw the tag. It drew out at the same level it did last year, but there were a few others that burned more points than I did.
As stated previously, I’ll be out there 3 days prior to the start to scout and learn the terrain. I’m not expecting a 180”. I just hope to see some rutting bucks and maybe get a crack at a 4.5 year old 4x4. But if I see a big old pot bellied, no neck, white faced buck, actual antler score may go out the window.
If I don’t find an older buck, I’ll happily hang my tag on a lesser one. I’m just looking forward to hunting mule deer in the rut.
As another stated, there are roads where trucks can get throughout, and you could have company. The BLM I've had luck on was off Black Canyon Rd and County 77. It's low canyon land, sage n junipers that adjoins some private farm/orchards on the North side of the BLM. It's not exactly a secret though. The other areas I hunted were up on Forest Service off County 713.

Thanks!
Any update on how it went?

Back