Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Colorado Unit 61 first rifle

Grouseman

Looks like point creep was going to keep me out of unit 201, so I drew a tag for unit 61. 18 points for a 1st rifle bull tag. Now the hard part. Getting info on the unit from 1000+ miles away. Anyone out there that is willing to share some insight into this unit. I will be hunting by myself, and have no issues hunting from a base camp or a spike camp. Been doing this for 20 years and I understand the harder you work at it, SOMETIMES you get more opportunities. A little luck always helps too. What are the advantages to the North, central or Southern part of the unit. I will listen to anything information that you are will to share. Thanks

Congrats on an excellent tag. I deer hunted the southern end of the unit a couple years ago.

I saw hundreds of elk, including a genuine 360+ bull.

With your distance involved, I'd arrive a week prior to season and plan on staying through the end.

Thanks for the reply Tbone. What season were you there? Were you on public land? How did the deer hunting go?

T Bone summed it up pretty well. Be prepared for opening day, do your scouting a few days in advance. Congrats on a great tag. There is scattered private land in 61, along with ranchers that will try to push you off public land, keep a GPS with Hunt maps...you should be good!

Arffdog I am starting to narrow my search down. I've been getting some good info from different sources. I can only get there 3 days before season, so I will have to scout hard.
The more I find out about this unit the better it seems.

Its not hard to find elk in 61, to get a good bull, you have to be willing to go in farther than the next guy. With that being said, it might be difficult getting your meat out without spoiling if it is a long pack out and the temps continue to be hot. Finding water will be a big factor.

Congrats on drawing a super tag! I hunted there (with my wife staying in camp) back in 2005 (cow elk + buck muley tags muzzleloading). Lucked out on a dandy cow first day... she was being "dogged" by a small 6X6 and never knew I was 20' away. Remainder of the hunt I relocated for the muley but was defeated by the frickin' oak brush and ended up wiping my butt with the tag...10-years building points down the tube. ALL the time I was deer hunting I was seeing bull after bull after bull. Now, for the good part...I have virtually ALL the USGS topos for the entire GMU packed away somewhere's and if your interested I can locate them for you. Where I was hunting there was not another hunter within a mile and with all the big bulls running around camp I woulda heard a shot I'm sure. Heck, had a bull with 3-cows 200-yards from camp the entire week I was there....You cannot imagine the amount of bulls I was seeing at any one time, every day.
You interested in the topos I'll dig them up...(just came across my GMU 54 maps that have some of my unit 55 on them where my wife and I will be two months from now after cow elk and scouting for next years deer hunt either 54 or 55.)
My home is 2000-miles from 61 so I can relate. Unit 55 is only 1920-miles away...a no-brainer, right?

Farmer-- The more I find out about this unit the better it sounds. Everyone seems to have good hunts and see a lot of elk even if they have to eat their tags. Sorry you didn't get your buck, even in good areas, everything has to come together, and a little luck never hurts. If you don't mind looking for those topos, I would be glad to have them. Let me know what you want for them. If you find them I will PM you my address. Good luck with your cow tag and scouting. Hey on a long trip like that 80 miles is 80 miles. I can't complain now I am only about 1500 miles away. I still have 3 1/2 months to wait.

Arffdogg- The heat is always a concern. We always pack them out on our backs, ( i get some crazy satisfaction out of doing that) but I do have contact info for a packer, just in case I need him.

Been looking for the topo maps for unit 61 for three days now with no luck. I've got one last, but unlikely spot left to check...wish me luck...

Farmer-- That's ok. I appreciate the effort. I think I have a filing system similar to yours. Do you remember if you were in the North, Central or Southern part of the unit? I still have plenty of time to get topos on line.

Yippee! Yahoo! Found the maps....gave'm to my wife some time ago to offer for sale through some of her methods. She claims she sold like two of them but I got the rest including the ones we had camp and hunted from. I'll attempt to PM you with my particulars...my first time so bear with me...

Back