Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Colorado Unit 54

GeekHunter

Greetings!

My buddies and I are hunting in GMU 54 this year, after two years hunting 18 and 28. I'm still a rookie and this is my third year, but I have yet to bag an elk. (I did get a small mulie my first year in 18) We are looking for some advice hunting 54. We are going DIY and renting an outfitter tent for the first time. No horses (just the 280 in my F-150!), so camp will be near a road. We are planning on hoofing it in and putting on several miles per day if needed.

So far we have scouted near Mill Creek, Carbon Peak/Mt Axtell, Whetstone/Carbon Creek areas, Steer's Gulch, CR 723 and the Soap Creek Area. Didn't see any elk or much fresh sign. We are in the Air Force, so time off to do any more scouting is out. We have tags for 2nd season, and one has a muzzleloader cow tag.

Any thoughts on these areas or others we might have some luck? I am willing to share all of the intel I have on 18 and 28 - between the four of us we harvested three mulies and one 4x4 elk from there over the last 2 years.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
You may already know this, but I will throw it out there just in case. To be successful during second season you area likely going to have to go as high as you can get for elk. Look for open parks near the tops of the ridges, with timber nearby. As you know, the elk will be away from most of the pressure. Storms during second season are not likely going to get the elk moving too much. Elk can tolerate a lot of snow. Good luck, and make sure you stay out until the last of legal light. Lots of elk are killed in the last 10 minutes of legal shooting light.

You may already know this, but I will throw it out there just in case. To be successful during second season you area likely going to have to go as high as you can get for elk. Look for open parks near the tops of the ridges, with timber nearby. As you know, the elk will be away from most of the pressure. Storms during second season are not likely going to get the elk moving too much. Elk can tolerate a lot of snow. Good luck, and make sure you stay out until the last of legal light. Lots of elk are killed in the last 10 minutes of legal shooting light.

Thanks for the info. We are planning on going high. That's what everyone is saying!

How are you working out hunting muzzleloader and 2nd rifle together?

Only one guy has a muzzleloader tag...he picked up a ML cow tag in the draw. He also somehow convinced his wife to let him go 2nd season with the rest of the group. We stood in line when OTC went on sale and got either sex A tags along with scoring cow B tags in the draw. I spent 2 preference points to get a buck tag too. Hoping to put some good high country steaks in the freezer!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back