Colorado Unit 2 !!!!

DREWBECK

Hello all, I wanted to introduce myself I'm a long time lurker but just joined recently. Colorado native and have grown up hunting the gunnison area. I found out a couple days ago through the backdoor that I drew an elk tag. SInce I had only put in for unit 2 muzzleloader I was pretty pumped to say the least!!

I wanted to reach out to anyone who may have hunted the unit in the last couple of years. I read khunters awesome bow experience and wanted to see if anyone had anything to add. This will be my first bull hunt outside of OTC tags and have been waiting for it since I started putting in for it when I was 12. At 28 now, I may be the youngest person to ever hunt the unit!!

What I know about the unit, I have hunted cows (read scouted bulls) for the last 4 years, my dad had a tag there 6 years ago. I have spent a lot of time on Wanda's property both at her summer place and vermillion creek. I have not spent much time up north or the very southeast corner near the little snake.

I am hoping you guys have some more experience in the area and want to share. I have 107 days until shooting light and all I can think about are monster elk!!
Thanks

I have no experience to share with you, but congrats on a great draw. Hope you have a fantastic hunt. Khunter is your guy.

congrats but is it really worth the wait? do you have a specific size animal you are going after? just curious:D

Wanda's place is a little more expensive than it use to be to hunt now. Also not sure if there is still Vermillion property? Khunter will know the details.

It's hard to tell if it was worth the wait before I go on the hunt. Having been there during the season on multiple occasions though, the place is definitely one of a kind for colorado. I also think think this year is going to be one of the best years for moisture that we have had in a long time, which will help growth in the next couple of months.

I don't feel like I missed out on any hunting the last 16 years I have shot a lot of decent deer, speed goat, and a 9''+ mountain goat, and cows and this year I will add a big bull to the collection.

As far as size goes, I want to hold out for a big one. There are also some amazing 360+ 5 point genes in the unit and I would love to take a monster 5x5.

I should also add that this last year will be the only time in my life that I will have 16 points

congrats but is it really worth the wait?:D

Just think about the "frankenbull" you could make in 16 years....lol;)

Congrats on the draw... best of luck to you!

Don't know much about the unit as far as the south end, but I've seen some whoppers in the sand wash basin out with the horses and ATV's. They are few and far between... but I bet you could speak with someone in the BLM dealing with the horses to find out about those elk...just a thought since most people hunt near the park....

Thanks for the info, what time of year did you see these? I know the numbers aren't as great to the north but I have also heard tales of these monsters. I'm debating if it's worth the time to go walkabout up there.

I have a pretty good start on a frankenbuck and hopefully this years bull will be a good start for a frankebnull!

Thanks for the info

Drewbeck: The Vermillion property was sold. I believe the trespass fee for muzzleloader is now 2500 or 3250 with cabin rental. PM me if you'd like, I can put you in contact with some guys that have hunted Wanda's ranch the past 10 or so years. Pick up a map of the canyon of La Dore.

what time of year did you see these? I know the numbers aren't as great to the north but I have also heard tales of these monsters. I'm debating if it's worth the time to go walkabout up there.

those elk stay there year round, I would say if you had plenty of time to scout, It would definitely be worth it. I wouldn't just walk out and try to hunt it though being a low density area unless you know vaguely where they're at....

Congratulations on the draw! You will be living a dream that most of us will never see. With 17 NR PP's and 67 years old, I can never draw it. My creep is not keeping up with the points creep.

there was a thread on here last fall that followed a 'live' unit 2elk hunt some idgit was doing and would never shoot the bulls he had in bow range and was photographing day after day after day...

Guy was a nutcase but he had some decent experiences to share. Do a search on that if interested.

tresspass-only (no cabin) for Wandas ranges from $1500 (bow) to $2,750 (rifle). Not sure on smokepole and that seems a 'tweener'. PM'd the phone number/e-mail for you. but you probably already have that info if you were up there last year..

Sounds like you know the unit very well already. Yes vermillion is no longer Wanda's. Guess you have a decision to make if you want to pay up for Wanda's access since you already know it well.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the draw! You will be living a dream that most of us will never see. With 17 NR PP's and 67 years old, I can never draw it. My creep is not keeping up with the points creep.

what could be worth waiting this long? wouldnt it be better to go several times during the last 17 years and work hard and find a trophy or just hunt elk?:eek:

what could be worth waiting this long? wouldnt it be better to go several times during the last 17 years and work hard and find a trophy or just hunt elk?:eek:

Most guys i know that stock up points like this including me, hunt one or more elk tags per year even as the points pile up. it is not like a choice has to be made to forgo elk for a long time. Apparently you have not hunted such a tag so it would be hard to tell you why it is worth it. Most of colo is OTC for archery and rifle elk so getting to hunt is a non issue, as you know. But hunting alongside a grand total of 8 hunters, at most, over a month is special in a place like unit 2.

Last edited:
there you go Khunter I spose that makes sense....don't know why I didnt think of that since that is what I'm doing myself:cool: just when I read it went to my head that he had been waiting that long...and nope I have hunted elk but last year so I'm still learning

When I first applied it took 3 points. When I had 3, it took 6. When I had 6, it took 10. etc, etc, etc. Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought that the point creep would outlive me.

My Son and hunting partner is 42 with 9 points. I wonder if he will ever draw. It's doubtful, but we still go every year and have packed out several bulls.

My dad started putting in for me when I was 12, when I graduated highschool I had 6, after college I had 11, a couple years later I had 16, and this is one of the first years that I can actually take the full season to hunt the unit. I feel a lot more fortunate that my dad put in for me when I was young than I have ever felt like I missed out on anything.

I have seen lots of bulls during my hunting season in an OTC area where I could have had a license and it has never bothered me knowing that I didn't have one just because I saw a bull.

When I first applied for unit 2, it took 9ish, then 11, I thought 6 years ago I would draw 201 with 14pp when I was 22, Now the hybrid has made the creep grow and I didn't want to wait another 3-5 years to end up drawing first rifle.

I have hunted multiple seasons every year and have grown to realize the 'hunts' are worth more than any kill. The patience to wait to hunt a trophy area in colorado is definitely worth it, and any other unit will always yield trophies to the smart, stupid, or lucky.

As far as colorado goes, the couple units in the northwest are as good as it gets, and to be there in the rut is an amazing experience!!

Agreed, because of him, I have had, and will have a lot of great hunting opportunities. Attached is the billy I took two years ago one of the most miserable and great days ever!

Attachments

• DSCI0195.jpg
    DSCI0195.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 4,490
I drew the early rifle hunt for Unit 2, Good luck in the muzzle loader season!

Back