Caribou Gear

Colorado sheep

Ten or 11...I'm going with 11. There is some confusion around year 3-4...two false annuli or one? I think only one. CPW aged him at 10 by counting two rings at that point and not counting the broomed off 1st ring. This is the second sheep I have watched get checked by CPW and both people claimed the lamb tip was 9" long.

When I win the raffle tag next year, I know who I'll be talking to. Great Ram.

Sometimes these sheep tags go to people who appreciate the experience, folks who deserve the opportunity to hunt a ram. Such is the case this time. Congrats, Terry. You deserve it

Congratulations Oak. I truly enjoyed following along, the pictures and the story were great.
Thanks for sharing

Been elk hunting so missed this thread, WOW! Congrats on the awesome hunt and ram! And great pics!

I finally got around to reading this entire thread. Amazing hunt, Terry. A very deserving guy rewarded for all of his hard work and his dedication to conservation and hunting.

I'm very grateful that you took the time to provide such an amazing recount, with all the pictures, as you did here on Hunt Talk. Now I really owe you.

Congrats!

Ten or 11...I'm going with 11. There is some confusion around year 3-4...two false annuli or one? I think only one. CPW aged him at 10 by counting two rings at that point and not counting the broomed off 1st ring. This is the second sheep I have watched get checked by CPW and both people claimed the lamb tip was 9" long.

9" lamp tip? Seems reasonable.

I love this thread, I've gone back and read it a half dozen times over. Always pleased when a guy that truly deserves a ram gets his. It amazes me that some of the places in your pictures are in the lower 48.

9" lamp tip? Seems reasonable.

I pulled 9" out of thin air. My point is that they start counting at the second annulus.

Ivan, that is a very good document AK has put together. Colorado's 1/2 curl requirement is measured a bit differently. Their reference line bisects the eye and the base of the ear. That said, I don't think they would ever issue a ticket for a sub-legal ram, as the purpose of the regulation is to prevent ewe harvest.

Attachments

• Annulus.jpg
    Annulus.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 747
  • Annulus.jpg
    Annulus.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 784
The next morning we split up again and I decided to drive back over to the area I had regularly seen 5-6 rams but had not gotten a good look at them yet. After some searching I once again relocated 6 rams, and this time the light was good enough that I could get a decent look. There were two nice rams in the group, including a heavily broomed ram that I recognized from previous years. He was previously radio collared, but the collar had since released and he only sported his red "58" ear tag. Friends of mine had nicknamed him Von Miller when scouting the unit 2 years earlier. He had grown up to be a stud, but had broomed his horns back heavily. The other nice ram was longer, but didn't seem to have the mass of Von Miller.

View attachment 143807

View attachment 143808

View attachment 143809
A somewhat ridiculous photo of Von Miller from the back.
View attachment 143811

Since I had regularly seen these rams in the same area for nearly 2 months, I decided that they would be my backup plan if something went wrong and I couldn't find one of my top 3 rams.

Von Miller is dead. Congrats to the hunter!

Last edited:
Was hunting and missed this....
Amazing, truly amazing hunt and ram!
Awesome recap and pictures!
Congrats

Back