Caribou Gear

Colorado Rifle Deer Season for "Above Timberline Only"

I just checked and looks like I actually have 11 points. Looks like that is enough to draw the tag I was looking at. Guess I need to get busy losing weight and getting in shape.

Are all the early rifle mule deer tags above timberline only?

Edit: Im being lazy, I know i could look this up on my own

Never mind. Last year the unit I have been looking at was 50% with 11 points. Toprut was filtering out the units I couldn’t draw for me.

One of my primary reasons for hunting the early date is going after a velvet buck and the unit I’m looking at starts a week earlier than the most of the others.

Reactions: LCH
Burned all my points last year on one of these 'above 11k' tags and got it done opening day on a nice deer that I'd seen while scouting.

Just before opening day of that season half I glassed were in velvet and half were rubbed.

This one was in full velvet until he tumbled through the rocks after the shot.

Untitled-7.jpg

Untitled-8.jpg

Last edited:
I've been on 3 early buck hunts Co.. 2 where units 44,45,444. One was just early buck hunt unit 17. You should check ML,Archery on unit as many have Muzzleloader/Atchery Hunters.

I've been on 3 early buck hunts Co.. 2 where units 44,45,444. One was just early buck hunt unit 17. You should check ML,Archery on unit as many have Muzzleloader/Atchery Hunters.
I'm going for a mz hunt this year.... pending not to crazy a point creep 🤞

But also tempted to do an early rifle, I like some of those really early szn dates

But also tempted to do an early rifle, I like some of those really early szn dates
I put in for archery deer and I'll get cow OTC tag,wife going to get archery OTC elk tags. We plan on staying up entire season and ML we'll do some fishing. I'm going to wait after 1st draw on rifle elk tags.

Well good luck

Just saw this thread. As a non-resident, archery hunted unit 82/86 four or five times in the 80s and nineties. Myself or hunting partner had the high country rifle tag in 2002, 2018 and 2019. Tough and physical hunt. NOTHING like it used to be. I am sure there are big bucks available but the day hikers and trekkers have made some areas very crowded. My opinion is the early, high country season hasn’t done any favors to those above timberline bucks.

Some of those early dates are a little too late to catch them above timberline with velvet. The last time I had that tag, they were hard-horned and in the trees.

The area I hunt for early specifically states "above xx,000 feet". Other hunt codes as some have stated are wilderness with no treeline designation, some above 10,000 feet within wilderness, etc. The hunt planner I spoke with stated if the hunt code just states "above treeline" it means above the conifer treeline.

It has also been my experience in the area I hunt as BoulderBulls stated. The week before muzzleloader & early the buck groups of summer start to shed their velvet and start to break up and work towards their rut area. Depending on the year this might vary by a fews days or a week +/- and you can get one still in full velvet. Once again this is my experience in my area, but I am sure others have different experiences elsewhere.

The best success for myself has been archery. The buck groups I've been scouting all summer are still together and they haven't started to shed velvet or breakup yet .... plus no pumpkins to shoot me!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back