Colorado questions on unit 28,37,371

IABoilermaker

Myself and a group of friends are looking at doing an elk hunt in Colorado this year. For two of us this will be our third elk hunt and for the other two this will be their first time out west in the mountains. We are looking at a hunt in units 28, 37, 371. I have been trying to contact some of the DOW for that area but haven't been able to connect yet. I was hoping some of the folks here could help out with a few questions I was trying to answer.

The first is whether or not cattle are grazed on the national forest in this area. I have heard and read a few things over the last month that certain NF's have leases. After our experience this year in Colorado we were hoping to stay away from the cattle grounds.

Second, I have been looking at maps over the last few weeks and see that some dispersed camping is allowed at different locations and there are some campground as well. Our plan for this year is to try to find an area we can set up the wall tent and hunt out from there daily with maybe a spike out day or two for the two of us who have hunted the mountains previously to put some distance between us and the crowd. We are doing that to try and accommodate the varying levels of gear and fitness for the whole group. If anyone familiar with this area would have any suggestions on areas of interest to look at for camping that could support both those types of hunts it would be appreciated.

cows-yes, in spots (most spots:)
uncrowded?? compared to what? mile high stadium on game day? if yes then ... yes
camping? millions of acres of unimproved camping just watch fire restrictions
civilized camping? here and there, some free some not more civilized = less free!
central location go to the campground right beside the area DOW office (beaver ck) you may want to make sure all your tags are in order:) free camping with dumpster and crappers...
More central but unimproved go for along the Blue River on NF or pay a fee 10 miles north of Silverthorne for a pretty nice campground right on the river.

Myself and a group of friends are looking at doing an elk hunt in Colorado this year. For two of us this will be our third elk hunt and for the other two this will be their first time out west in the mountains. We are looking at a hunt in units 28, 37, 371. I have been trying to contact some of the DOW for that area but haven't been able to connect yet. I was hoping some of the folks here could help out with a few questions I was trying to answer.

The first is whether or not cattle are grazed on the national forest in this area. I have heard and read a few things over the last month that certain NF's have leases. After our experience this year in Colorado we were hoping to stay away from the cattle grounds.

Second, I have been looking at maps over the last few weeks and see that some dispersed camping is allowed at different locations and there are some campground as well. Our plan for this year is to try to find an area we can set up the wall tent and hunt out from there daily with maybe a spike out day or two for the two of us who have hunted the mountains previously to put some distance between us and the crowd. We are doing that to try and accommodate the varying levels of gear and fitness for the whole group. If anyone familiar with this area would have any suggestions on areas of interest to look at for camping that could support both those types of hunts it would be appreciated.
Wanted to ask you how your experience went in unit 28 back when you went hunting this unit? I’m also looking at unit 18 as well this year. Was it what people described on here it would be? I’m looking to go otc 3rd rifle season. I’ve scouted the maps and called a few people/rangers but want to talk to people who have been there first hand. Is it that populated with weekend hunters? Are there a lot of elk? Thank you for any information that you can provide actually about any unit in Colorado. Very much appreciated.

Wanted to ask you how your experience went in unit 28 back when you went hunting this unit? I’m also looking at unit 18 as well this year. Was it what people described on here it would be? I’m looking to go otc 3rd rifle season. I’ve scouted the maps and called a few people/rangers but want to talk to people who have been there first hand. Is it that populated with weekend hunters? Are there a lot of elk? Thank you for any information that you can provide actually about any unit in Colorado. Very much appreciated.

I've hunted unit 28 in 3rd rifle before, lots and lots and lots of hunters.

And I'm confused about OP's your camping question, there's tons of national forest in the units you mentioned, what are you looking for, RV hookups or something?

Gonna paint with a broad brush here and be really blunt, simply because this/these DAUs comes up over and over again on the forum.

1. Bad choice for a non-resident, just pick somewhere else, why would you drive all the way from Iowa and then stop 45 min from the largest metro area within 800 miles. Pick a unit at least 3 hours from Denver and 45 min off of I70/285/I25
2. You aren't in good enough shape for 371 cross that off the list
3. You aren't going to find a spot to set up a wall tent in summit county 371 or 37, dispersed in general means you can set up a camp anywhere on public land. Summit county is absolutely thrashed by Denver's weekend warriors, hikers/bikers/skiers/rafters/etc as such you have to hike in to setup a camp (no car camping allowed). You wont find a dirt road you can drive up, pull over and throw up a wall tent, it's going to be pavement to a trail head where there are signs saying no camping.

If you are really committed to this area 28 is going to be your best bet for the style of hunting you described, it will be crowded but there are lots of elk.

I've hunted unit 28 in 3rd rifle before, lots and lots and lots of hunters.

And I'm confused about OP's your camping question, there's tons of national forest in the units you mentioned, what are you looking for, RV hookups or something?
Just going to bivvy in a tent and camp mobile. I called game and parks also the US forest service. They said there’s plenty of parking there for vehicles and you can bivvy it in no problem. Thank you for the help and the advice. I’m so looking forward to this hunt.

I drew a third season mule deer tag so I took the past couple days and drove out from Kansas to check the area out the campgrounds right by the headquarters are really nice I stayed there two nights this week people are getting out and fly fishing so is pretty crowded.

I'm still a little confused on where guy can go and where he can't but it was nice to make the trip out there and get a lay of the area and look around

A good map to have is the hunt Explorer Kremmling

I'm going to bring a four-wheeler with me cuz even my truck now few places was kind of sketchy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back