Colorado Pref. Points- Point of diminishing returns?

Another possibility in addition to allowing the transfer of points to family and friends is the State could offer a “Points Buyback Program “ to reduce the number of pointholders. Similar to the Guns BuyBack Program that many localities offer. The anti-hunters would probably support that legislation...

Another possibility in addition to allowing the transfer of points to family and friends is the State could offer a “Points Buyback Program “ to reduce the number of pointholders. Similar to the Guns BuyBack Program that many localities offer. The anti-hunters would probably support that legislation...

How would that benefit the state?

Really the only logical way out is to switch over the pref system to the same modified lottery as the Sheep, Goat, Moose, and convert everyone's pref points to bonus points.
I agree. I think that is the best and possibly only fair solution. The top tier point holders would still have highest odds of drawing and some hunters may actually draw before they die instead of being stuck in no mans land forever.

I think it might work, and rather fairly so, if they would grandfather and freeze everyone over 20, then cap 20 as the max going forward. yes it would take a whike to burn off the top 10 yrs but EVENTUALLY would. And the motivation would be to use points earlier rather than hold out impossible hope. If you wanted to “hold out” for the top draw, at least it would provide some clarity that once the top is burned off, anyone with 20 would have a lotto chance, which isn’t to be sneered at given the 0% chance they have now. Nobody should get too pissed, nobody gets screwed over too badly, revenue keeps rolling in, anybody not “holding out” is pretty much unaffected except normal creep at the lower tiers, but at least it wouldnt be a mathmatical time bomb.

Another thought (again with the grandfather and freeze those already over 20) could be to cap PP at 20 and then anything over that is a bonus point only. So it becomes a weighted lotto at the top. would make it more exciting for more people, thats for sure!

Neither if these ideas would immediately correct the logjam, but WOULD end the hopelessness of new hunters with the same dreams that us middle aged or older hunters had the opportunity to chase

Last edited:
That would be horrible. After generations of gifting points you would have people sitting on 100+ because the creep is so bad. I saw a draw odd article a while back that showed if you were just getting into points today at age 18 and wanted to hunt unit 201 you wouldn’t draw for like 200 years. Now granted, I expect to be in good shape at age 150 but 200 is pushing it for an elk hunt.
Well not to mention the fact that I could draw a tag put my grand mothers, mom, etc in for the draw every year and then gift myself all three points essentially allowing me to go from 1 to 8 points over night.
I think it might work, and rather fairly so, if they would grandfather and freeze everyone over 20, then cap 20 as the max going forward. yes it would take a whike to burn off the top 10 yrs but EVENTUALLY would. And the motivation would be to use points earlier rather than hold out impossible hope. If you wanted to “hold out” for the top draw, at least it would provide some clarity that once the top is burned off, anyone with 20 would have a lotto chance, which isn’t to be sneered at given the 0% chance they have now. Nobody should get too pissed, nobody gets screwed over too badly, revenue keeps rolling in, anybody not “holding out” is pretty much unaffected except normal creep at the lower tiers, but at least it wouldnt be a mathmatical time bomb.

Another thought (again with the grandfather and freeze those already over 20) could be to cap PP at 20 and then anything over that is a bonus point only. So it becomes a weighted lotto at the top. would make it more exciting for more people, thats for sure!

I kinda follow... but look at the numbers... it will take over a decade just to clear out people in the 28 and 27 point groups.

Well not to mention the fact that I could draw a tag put my grand mothers, mom, etc in for the draw every year and then gift myself all three points essentially allowing me to go from 1 to 8 points over night.

I kinda follow... but look at the numbers... it will take over a decade just to clear out people in the 28 and 27 point groups.

yeah i know. there might need to be something along these lines but with some tweaks to “encourage” all us squatters to s*** or get of the pot. but a cap somewhere is needed so as not to have to deal with this problem forever

yeah i know. there might need to be something along these lines but with some tweaks to “encourage” all us squatters to s*** or get of the pot. but a cap somewhere is needed so as not to have to deal with this problem forever

Agreed, hence my comment about converting to the MSG system.

What exactly are people hoarding all those points for?

It’s point creep. Nobody started this game thinking it would take 10 years, let alone 25+ years.

The DOW keeps changing the rules throughout the years. And each change results in it taking more years for the same tag than it did before.

Like I said in an earlier post. When I started this game it only took 7 years for a NR to draw on the NW corner. Now it’s 27+ years. Point creep at its finest. I’m too stubborn to get out now.

CO is def not the state to buy PPs long term in. There is no end goal if u holding out for the top units. Now if u r good w 1-5 pt units I think it has advantages

I noticed the .22 thing, what is the story behind it? Was there a shortage?

CO preferences points and cases of .22lr are the gold and diamonds that make up the hoards of garage dragons across the Midwest.

I noticed the .22 thing, what is the story behind it? Was there a shortage?

Do you remember like 5 years ago during Obama's presidency. Every store everywhere was sold out, you couldn't find .22lr anywhere. Walmart would get in a case and there were literally fist fights so some locations stopped selling them, Walmart said only 3 boxes per customer, I think sportsman's in Bozeman was 1 box and they would sell out by mid morning the day they got their shipment. All around pretty nuts... I knew people that 12-20k rounds in their garage. Kinda nuts, especially since it would have been the last caliber to get banned, and because Obama never passed any substantive gun legislation... just people making illogical decisions.

I heard whispers of the 22 thing and the Walmart shortage, when I first got out here. Back in the deep south people hoarded mainly military ammo, old and new, with a good amount of 22's and shotgun shells sitting off to the side.

Do you remember like 5 years ago during Obama's presidency. Every store everywhere was sold out, you couldn't find .22lr anywhere. Walmart would get in a case and there were literally fist fights so some locations stopped selling them, Walmart said only 3 boxes per customer, I think sportsman's in Bozeman was 1 box and they would sell out by mid morning the day they got their shipment. All around pretty nuts... I knew people that 12-20k rounds in their garage. Kinda nuts, especially since it would have been the last caliber to get banned, and because Obama never passed any substantive gun legislation... just people making illogical decisions.

I heard whispers of the 22 thing and the Walmart shortage, when I first got out here. Back in the deep south people hoarded mainly military ammo, old and new, with a good amount of 22's and shotgun shells sitting off to the side.

Yeah .223 and 9mm would have made a lot of sense... I still can't understand .22lr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back